Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

She's nekkid!

Old 04-19-2016, 04:48 PM
LabCab
Posting Guru
LabCab has much to be proud ofLabCab has much to be proud ofLabCab has much to be proud ofLabCab has much to be proud ofLabCab has much to be proud ofLabCab has much to be proud ofLabCab has much to be proud ofLabCab has much to be proud ofLabCab has much to be proud of
Dak,
My wife has already warned me to stay away from the Ford dealerships......
I am safe, till they show up on the dealer lots, then I will be in trouble big time....
My hope is to hold off on replacing my "old" 2015 that has 29,000 miles on it until just before retirement in 2018. The things that would make me want to trade up are the larger fuel tank, which I can fix in my F350, the flat rear floor for dog crates if we are traveling when it could be too warm under the canopy in the back of the truck for the dogs. They are Labs, so with crate covers there is no such thing as too cold.... This time I would get supplemental heat and the tailgate step now that the bar doesn't sit on top of the tailgate.
There are many other nice things that I just haven't noticed yet, but I know me.
I would want to order one exactly like I want it.
The good news is I LOVE my current truck, so I can be patient for now.
How about you? House first, then truck?
Pat

Old 04-19-2016, 05:32 PM
David_ski
Senior User
David_ski is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by senix View Post
Find the trailer of your dreams...then buy the truck to match it.
Wife nor I want a trailer that requires a 350 DRW, neither 5th or conventional. In-laws had a smaller 5th wheel, don't want that. Direction we are going is a standard TT that borders on the upper limits of new 150 tow/haul ratings. Older 150's fall short.

I don't feel totally comfortable with the tow ratings of new 1/2 tons. Ford/GM/Dodge had tow/haul race the last several years, and 1/2 ton tow ratings went from ~8,500 >> ~11,000 lbs while keeping the non-tow ride/suspension soft.

A 250 gives me peace of mind while towing, and easier for wife to drive. Plus I went for the F250 6.7L test drive. Hooked.

The plan is to go look at trailers this weekend, not trucks. That should help

Old 04-19-2016, 05:51 PM
LabCab
Posting Guru
LabCab has much to be proud ofLabCab has much to be proud ofLabCab has much to be proud ofLabCab has much to be proud ofLabCab has much to be proud ofLabCab has much to be proud ofLabCab has much to be proud ofLabCab has much to be proud ofLabCab has much to be proud of
I have a 10,000 lb Artic Fox travel trailer loaded that I have seen others tow with new half tons, but I like the peace of mind out West here in the Mtns with my F350 in front of it. Oh, and the 6.7 really enjoys towing, the engine brake is awesome on down grades. I am of the rather have more than enough truck than just enough.....
Happy shopping!

Old 04-19-2016, 06:16 PM
David_ski
Senior User
David_ski is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by LabCab View Post
I have a 10,000 lb Artic Fox travel trailer loaded that I have seen others tow with new half tons, but I like the peace of mind out West here in the Mtns with my F350 in front of it. Oh, and the 6.7 really enjoys towing, the engine brake is awesome on down grades. I am of the rather have more than enough truck than just enough.....
Happy shopping!

I am of the rather have more than enough truck than just enough.....

That is precisely why the F150 is not on the table, too small. F350's towing capacity get us into trailers that are beyond our needs, too big. Peace of mind with mountains and downgrades, F250, just right. Just like the 3 bears.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:26 PM
LabCab
Posting Guru
Sounds like a great plan!
You should be very happy with your new truck and the soon to be found trailer!
Enjoy!!!

Old 04-19-2016, 09:20 PM
m-chan68
Postmaster
m-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputation
Maybe it's none of my business, but I am a little curious as what is taking so long to go back together. If I understood correctly, as of Friday the engine was already re-installed into the truck (assuming it was the NEW engine???). So what's left? Drop the cab, re-connect all electrical, fill up fluids and turn the key? Did the installing tech pay particular attention when installing the flexplate to MAKE SURE to transfer the crankshaft sensor tone ring onto the new engine, failing which would result in a no-start?

Old 04-19-2016, 09:48 PM
2horses
Elder User
2horses has a great reputation on FTE.2horses has a great reputation on FTE.2horses has a great reputation on FTE.2horses has a great reputation on FTE.2horses has a great reputation on FTE.2horses has a great reputation on FTE.
I actually called today to check, she's back together and running, but they want to keep her overnight and check fluid levels tomorrow, take her for another test run, and barring any unforeseen circumstances, I should have her back by the end of the day.

I will then do my own test drive, and hand her back if I'm not satisfied.

Not sure if it made any difference, but I told them to take their time and do a thorough job. Perhaps they took me at my word? Whatever the case, I can't answer a single one of your questions, mchan - but thank you for your interest and input. It's always good to have a tech's point of view.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:16 PM
Dakster
Post Fiend
Dakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by LabCab View Post
Dak,
My wife has already warned me to stay away from the Ford dealerships......
I am safe, till they show up on the dealer lots, then I will be in trouble big time....
My hope is to hold off on replacing my "old" 2015 that has 29,000 miles on it until just before retirement in 2018. The things that would make me want to trade up are the larger fuel tank, which I can fix in my F350, the flat rear floor for dog crates if we are traveling when it could be too warm under the canopy in the back of the truck for the dogs. They are Labs, so with crate covers there is no such thing as too cold.... This time I would get supplemental heat and the tailgate step now that the bar doesn't sit on top of the tailgate.
There are many other nice things that I just haven't noticed yet, but I know me.
I would want to order one exactly like I want it.
The good news is I LOVE my current truck, so I can be patient for now.
How about you? House first, then truck?
Pat
Tough questions. I may have to sell my 2015 to get the house, in which case I would then look to get a 2017 later on.

But yes, house first.... And this time I am ordering again. As the last salesman put it, no one builds a truck like I do. It isn't just that I add everything either. One thing is that I do not like Moonroofs at all. No thanks.

SoFla they were too hot and up here ice builds up on them. The extra light coming in bothers my eyes too... And as far as I am concerned it's a square on the roof that marks where water will leak in later.

If you or anyone else likes them that's great... They just are not for me.

Knowing us and how we trade in vehicles, I can see getting a 2018 or 2019 regardless... I'm dangerous going to a showroom too. Luckily for the most part up here, they don't deal that easily so it's easy to walk out.

My personal thought is that the cost between a 250 and a 350 is so small, I might as well have more truck than less truck. There really isn't that much of a huge difference between the two either. If I end up getting a fiver at one point and needing a dually, I could see getting an F450 at one point...

Old 04-20-2016, 05:55 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.
Yep, that black dash, carpet, and dark brown seats is what I have. I ordered it specifically and it's great. No yellow anywhere, the king ranch logo is almost orange but doesn't bother me.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:27 PM
2horses
Elder User
2horses has a great reputation on FTE.2horses has a great reputation on FTE.2horses has a great reputation on FTE.2horses has a great reputation on FTE.2horses has a great reputation on FTE.2horses has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by ruschejj View Post
Yep, that black dash, carpet, and dark brown seats is what I have. I ordered it specifically and it's great. No yellow anywhere, the king ranch logo is almost orange but doesn't bother me.
I test drove one yesterday and I agree, that is a really nice interior. Definitely one I could live with. Too bad the salesman was such a douche or we may have tried to work some numbers.