6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Replacing oil cooler and Egr cooler

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 07:24 AM
NJEx
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing oil cooler and Egr cooler

After 180,000 miles I am replacing the oil cooler and Egr cooler (not deleting) and adding coolant filter. My lower oil filter housing gasket was leaking, so need to get that gasket kit. The turbo was a lot clogged, so I cleaned it and have ordered a unison ring. Since my son went to college without the help of Bernie Sanders financial aid plans, I don't have an endless supply of money - while Obviously Dorman units are out, but are there any other good aftermarket options. I just found the following for oil cooler: Ford 6.0 Engine Oil Cooler Service Kit NEW Ford OEM 3C3Z-6A642-CA In Sealed Box

Anyone familiar with this.

Also, advise on good suppliers of the other items needed. (I think Sinister coolant filter price is high due to massive marketing, there has to be a comparable unit at better price)

Old 04-08-2016, 07:41 AM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That is the correct part number, also stay away from the sinister coolant filter... Razzi will most likely chime in, he says the sinister is designed to fail.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:05 AM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
EGR cooler, what's that??
Next you're going to say something like catalytic converter??

You guys are such kidders!

Old 04-08-2016, 05:20 PM
X-Hibition
Elder User
Hey Large, what is the problem with the Sinister Coolant Filter?

It's just a base to support a Wix filter, where is the failure? Mine hasn't.

No hi-jack.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:55 PM
2wdDezlX
Elder User
Originally Posted by X-Hibition

No hi-jack.
I think it's the crimped fittings on the hoses that fail.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:37 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend

No hi-jack.
I will give Razzi a call and have him address the issues.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:39 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
He's on his way, lol

Old 04-08-2016, 07:48 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Dear Lord......Sinister Coolant filters....

While the base and filter isn't a problem, the hoses are. The hoses are made of some cheap material that doesn't stand up to much. I know because I HAD one of my 6.0 and a year into its service life, the hoses (yes hoses, plural) sprang a leak and made me lose a good amount of my already expensive coolant.

When I called them about it, they knew about the problem and offered to replace the hose with the same junk I had before. Keep in mind they've since upgraded their hoses to something they think will solve the problem, but compressed fittings are compressed fitting and will leak...

This is why I strongly recommend the Dieselsite coolant filter as it comes with heater hose you can easily replace IF one should happen to spring a leak.

So the long and short of it, buy the Diesel site kit and NOT the Sinister kit. Looks cool, but that's it.

As far as the OT:

-Ford or even the bulletproof diesel oil cooler

-Bulletproof Diesel EGR cooler since you don't plan on deleting.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:58 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Thank you Razzi! Reps sent

Old 04-08-2016, 09:53 PM
NJEx
Freshman User
What should I expect to pay for the OEM oil cooler and BP Egr cooler. Who has the best deals. Got my unison ring today. Will finish the turbo tomorrow morning. Everything is out and waiting for new parts. Can't wait to hear that turbo sing again.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:37 PM
X-Hibition
Elder User
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Dear Lord......Sinister Coolant filters....

While the base and filter isn't a problem, the hoses are. The hoses are made of some cheap material that doesn't stand up to much. I know because I HAD one of my 6.0 and a year into its service life, the hoses (yes hoses, plural) sprang a leak and made me lose a good amount of my already expensive coolant.

When I called them about it, they knew about the problem and offered to replace the hose with the same junk I had before. Keep in mind they've since upgraded their hoses to something they think will solve the problem, but compressed fittings are compressed fitting and will leak...

This is why I strongly recommend the Dieselsite coolant filter as it comes with heater hose you can easily replace IF one should happen to spring a leak.

So the long and short of it, buy the Diesel site kit and NOT the Sinister kit. Looks cool, but that's it.

So do they want to replace the hoses on request? Many people have this problem? I installed my kit and took off for Canada with no issues at all.

Just curious...

Old 04-10-2016, 07:55 AM
Patriotic Rottweiler
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I installed my Sinister Diesel coolant filter in May of 2011 and have not had any issues. One possible cause for a leak developing in other users hoses could be a clogged coolant system which then leads to an over-pressurization.

I also like Dieselsite and having the ability to quickly change out the hoses is a plus. If mine ever does fail I will more than likely keep the Sinister Diesel coolant filter housing and replace the hoses and fittings to standard heater core hoses/fittings which I should be able to get at any auto parts store.

Best of luck on your purchases...

Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2016, 07:57 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
So do they want to replace the hoses on request? Many people have this problem? I installed my kit and took off for Canada with no issues at all.

Just curious...
They'll replace the hoses but they still use the same compression fittings and not barbed fittings.

I'm on a few of the Facebook groups for the 6.0 and the guys on there don't like using sinister when they're building a truck, doing engine work for a customer., or even for their own personal use. Some think it's an awesome product, but like the others I don't care for it.

Patriotic Rottweiler hasn't had any issues with his Sinister setup, but his truck isn't a daily driver like mine is.

I've had the Dieselsite coolant filter on my 7.3 Excursion since June 2012 and I haven't had a single problem with it.

Old 04-10-2016, 02:01 PM
NJEx
Freshman User
Any one use the dieselsite oil cooler. Most the gurus say to us the ford OEM, and dieselsite lists their oil cooler under the OEM parts pull down. Wish I could everything in one place. Dieselsite doesn't have the 04 Egr cooler (yes- not doing the delete) or a turbo rebuild kit or ELC coolant

Old 04-10-2016, 07:18 PM
NJEx
Freshman User
Thanks for all the comments. Helps benders like me afford this as a daily. I got my shopping list together, and in checking my CAC hose, looked at the turbo I had split open to clean vanes, and noticed the face of the part which the (new) unison ring will lay. (See pic attached) Is this ok since the unison ring is laying in it. A bit of rust/pitting and what appears to be some damage to the center nut. I did not grind that - it was like that when I opened her up.

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Replacing oil cooler and Egr cooler