If you camp in Wisconsin, are you aware of this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 06:04 PM
AKdave
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
I am not downing campground owners, I just don't see what makes them special.
There are lots of things that make us special Steve. Our big hearts, warm smiles, and broad knowledge of bathroom cleaning supplies.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:24 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Here more off the presses today from RV Business. I will do something I rarely do and withhold comment.

When Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker signed dozens of bills into law March 30 in Madison, one of them capped off a decade of effort by the Wisconsin Association of Campground Owners (WACO) by granting private campground owners immunity from civil liability in cases of camper property damage, injury or death in many cases.
In effect, campgrounds and their owners/operators or employees are only liable for willful acts or omissions.
Unusual as it may sound, it’s a simple law — only three sentences spanning a mere dozen lines on the page — but one that took two attempts over a decade and had to overcome the objections of Wisconsin’s trial attorneys. In fact, a similar bill passed in 2006, but then-Gov. Jim Doyle, an attorney by trade, declined to sign it.
WACO Executive Director Lori Severson recently agreed to answer a few questions from RVBusiness and Woodall’s Campground Management about the new law as well as the March WACO Convention and Trade Show in Stevens Point and her optimism for the year ahead.
RVB/WCM: The signing of the campground immunity bill two weeks ago was a major milestone. What, if anything, does the bill do for WACO’s campground owners?
Severson: Basically, what it does for us is it gives us immunity from everything except negligence. We had to work pretty hard to get it past the trial attorneys, but we ended up with 99% of what we wanted.
RVB/WCM: How did you respond to the pushback from attorneys who obviously felt that the new law lets campground owners unfairly off the hook?
Severson: We just wanted parity with the state parks. What we’re really trying to do, in the words of WACO board member Bud Styer (parenthetically ID him/his business/WACO board member?), is take care of stupid. If you bring your skateboard to a campground and slip and fall and hurt yourself, that’s not our fault.
Obviously it’s our fault if we’re doing construction and leave a big hole and don’t put up a warning. We’re not trying to get away from that. But there were some silly lawsuits, and even if they’re stupid and you win, you still lose because you have to pay attorneys. That’s the big deal.
RVB/WCM: What was the process for getting this into law?
Severson: After 2006, we had to start over. A new administration, with Scott Walker taking office in 2011, helped. We had to find representatives who would work with us and sponsor the bill.
Bud Styer has really done a great job of getting to know all of the representatives and make sure people know who we are. It really make a difference when they understand your industry. Bud is our ‘Tell it like it is’ guy, and he’s branded himself with that Hawaiian shirt. Everybody in the capitol knew to expect that of Bud. We got 18 representatives who co-sponsored it along with five senators.
RVB/WCM: That, of course, wasn’t the only notable event for WACO in March, with your convention and trade show running March 16-20. How did that go, and how did it help shape your expectations for the remainder of 2016?
Severson: The conference was really great. The response to the speakers was great and a lot of the vendors are coming back next year. I have very good expectations and am very excited. The weather’s going to break this weekend, a lot of campgrounds are opening up and we’re really excited. In addition, RV dealers are telling us that RV sales are good, so we’ve got great expectations for 2016.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:39 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,991 Likes on 1,598 Posts
Good read......Thanks.

I and a number of FTE crazies will be in The Dells, WI......Sherwood Forest Campground.......5 - 11 July........

Old 04-16-2016, 06:37 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,301 Posts
Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy
Good read......Thanks.

I and a number of FTE crazies will be in The Dells, WI......Sherwood Forest Campground.......5 - 11 July........
Just remember to leave the skateboards behind.

If you guys bring some big sticks and beat on the tree trunks at night you might bring in a Bigfoot.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:51 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by scraprat
Just remember to leave the skateboards behind.

If you guys bring some big sticks and beat on the tree trunks at night you might bring in a Bigfoot.
We were more thinking of big guns.......and some competition at a local shooting range........

Old 04-16-2016, 11:22 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
Who do you use for roadside assistance that deals with an RV/trailer? We moved from AAA to Good Sam because of the roadside assistance. Have only had to use the service once on my sedan, but it was a good experience.
We have roadside assistance through our insurance company on the truck and a fulltimer policy on the trailer that has a 2K towing policy just on the trailer. We have everything through Nationwide, house, cars, trailer and a umbrella.

Denny

Old 04-17-2016, 07:09 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
So I'm just curious, under this new law in Wisconsin, if I hook up my 5'er to shore power in their park, and something fries in my trailer, are they on the hook for "omitting" proper maintenance on their park utilities?

Not trying to start a flame war, I'm genuinely curious.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:24 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Only a lawyer would know for sure, but this law adds a level of fog to issues like that since what an "omission" is has to be decided on a case-by-case basis. One thing for sure, any time you hear a group start off by saying "all we want is", you can be sure that is not all they want.

The part of the equation that is missing is why anyone thought this law was necessary. I think it is more a reflection of the current pro-business political climate in Wisconsin, but maybe someone who lives there could comment on that?

Steve

Old 04-27-2016, 03:35 PM
Lance Helmert
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
They probably got sued over something that started with "Hold my beer and watch this!!!!"

Good owners won't abuse the law, crappy ones will. Good campers won't sue over stupid stuff, crappy ones looking for a free ride will. Like an idiot putting hot coffee between their legs and suing because it was hot.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:28 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Or the campground owners just wanted to make it tougher to be sued. Who defines "good" and "crappy" campers, you, me, campground owners?

Steve

Old 04-27-2016, 06:00 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Or the campground owners just wanted to make it tougher to be sued. Who defines "good" and "crappy" campers, you, me, campground owners?

Steve
The person that takes responsibility for their own actions. Considers others. That thinks before action.......This is the Good Guy

Old 04-27-2016, 06:26 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Oh, I got it, a saint!

Steve

Old 04-27-2016, 06:30 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Oh, I got it, a saint!

Steve
Naww......Progress, not perfection. Try our best, be willing to improve.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:33 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Mrs Slim has expressed interest in a trip to "The Dells" sometime in the future. I'm curious how this new law will change things going forward. Would be nice to hear updates from time to time, but not sure how to keep it relevant?

Old 04-27-2016, 07:38 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim
Mrs Slim has expressed interest in a trip to "The Dells" sometime in the future. I'm curious how this new law will change things going forward. Would be nice to hear updates from time to time, but not sure how to keep it relevant?
My family and 10 other FTE families are going to Sherwood Forest Campground in the Dells Wisconsin this July. We really are not worried. If a campground tree falls on my Montana 5th wheel......State Farm will take care of it. If I trip over a rock and get hurt.....the local medical facility will patch me back together. My Retired Military insurance will take care of the cost....most of it.

I am going to have fun....enjoy life....and focus on what is in my control.

Quick Reply: If you camp in Wisconsin, are you aware of this?