1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1951 F1 w/ 2008 CV interceptor power plant

Old 04-07-2016, 01:21 AM
das54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
very cool build you have going. Thanks for sharing and welcome aboard.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:33 PM
CarlRay
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hay thanks. I spent a lot of time in my life in the junkyard pulling parts off cars but never took one down to the tub. Pulled all the window regulators today and the rear windows look like I might be able to bend them and make them work in the truck. That'll be a cool feature.

Now I'm wondering if I should pull the door locks and if I can retrofit them to work. Hummmmmm......

Old 04-08-2016, 05:15 PM
CarlRay
Junior User
One tranny support out. This was a press fit from the factory. Bent my crowbar doing it. Just a 3hr job. 😱💩👎👹💀💪

Thinking I can shorten it for the truck

Old 04-20-2016, 09:50 PM
CarlRay
Junior User
i've been so busy getting rid of the Crown Vic and bring in the truck into the garage I just haven't had time to post so I'll update you all right now. Goodbye to my little CV

And hello to my 51

Started off by cutting out that torsion bar suspension somebody will welded in years ago

Then remove the 9 inch and all it's hardware then brought it back into the garage for some cleanup

So you can see I've been a little busy last few days but I'm excited to start putting things on the truck rather then taking things off.

I'm hoping somebody a lot more knowledge than i will jump in here and solve this mystery for me. I know I need to box in the front of the frame before putting on the IFS but I did raise it up in there and found this problem/dilemma. Seems that the lower portion of my frame is wider than the upper portion of my frame. I've just never seen this mentioned on any of the posts orbany videos for installation of the IFS so if anybody could shed any light i'd appreciate it -here's a picture.

You can see the top of the rail is shiny and the lower portion is still resty. But you can definitely see it's about a half an inch wider on the bottom and the top???

Old 04-21-2016, 03:04 PM
CarlRay
Junior User
So the problem at the end of my last post has been solved. I talked to uncle Jimmy? at Johnny Law and he inform me that all the frames are that way. You have an option to either squared it up or box It and notch the IFS crossmember to match. Off to my local metal mart to buy my boxing plate. I think I have a lot of welding in my future. Thanks uncle Jimmy!

Old 04-21-2016, 06:47 PM
mustangmike6996
Elder User
I used the CV IFS in my 51. You need to notch and level the frame but it isn't too bad of a job to do.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:31 PM
CarlRay
Junior User
Originally Posted by mustangmike6996
I used the CV IFS in my 51. You need to notch and level the frame but it isn't too bad of a job to do.
Any encouragement or info to calm me down it's nice to have thanks. I need to change to decaf.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:45 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you change to decaf it would be like not drinking coffee at all. You might end up like me and not be finished for 5 years! I have never had a cup in my life - so not long ago I drank some hot tea my wife had, first caffeine that I have had in many years. I worked that day until midnight!
Your build looks great so far, but that wiring harness would end it for me. Wiring is not my specialty to say the least... Good luck with and I will be watching and learning.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:08 PM
CarlRay
Junior User
That's funny right there. I was at a car show one time and I was supposed to be given a decaf coffee large one and somebody gave me a caffeinated coffee. Not a person walked by my car that I didn't stop and talk to that day. Thanks for jumping in on my post guys I appreciate it. Next step is to go get my middle for my boxing plates and break out the plasma cutter. Haven't used it in a couple of years so I'll do some practice cut before I get started. Once there on I'll start making plugs in filling in all these holes in the frame. I plan on just doing the front section where the crossmember goes first so I get that located in tack welded in and down on the tires so I can get a real idea what my right height it's going to be. After that it's onto the triangulated for link I'm putting in the back. It is work work work work work.......

Old 04-22-2016, 09:34 PM
CarlRay
Junior User
Well I did get a little bit done today. Fixed some of the damage to the frame from the old suspension removal.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:44 PM
CarlRay
Junior User
I also put some bracing in to square up the frame before I box it in and install the IFS. These will be removed once the crossmember is to hold it all together.

I don't own a portapower so the wood and jack was the best I could come up with.

The top brace went on first to hold it st 32 inches, then I jacked the bottom out to true it up then welded the cross brace in.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:53 PM
CarlRay
Junior User
Working on my templets for the boxing plates

I know it look funny but I swear it fits.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:05 PM
CarlRay
Junior User
Here's my ride height so my wife can get in and out of the truck. My sports cars is this low but not sure about a truck. I will have coil overs and may change to bags later on when I'm rich (yeah right) so I can adjust a little. Nervous ......

About an inch above the can

Old 04-24-2016, 01:22 PM
CarlRay
Junior User
Yesterday I managed to get one side boxed in.

Next one will be easier for sure

Old 04-24-2016, 03:02 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Looks good but I would inspect that Johnny law Helix junk very closely before using it, myself I would toss it. Lots of posts on the net with junk welds and control arms welded out of shape. Do a search on Helix, Johnny law, and the other Hoffman Group divisions of Chinese parts. You may want to reconsider.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1951 F1 w/ 2008 CV interceptor power plant