What is the single aftermarket accessory you regard as essential when you RV?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 11:22 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 831 Likes on 571 Posts
Originally Posted by Army RET
While I agree that all of the previous recommendations are helpful, I believe that more importantly y'all should be using a RV tire pressure monitoring system. Yes I have my idea of best quality but anything is better than none.

Now pour me a shot from that liqueur cabinet.

Which one do you like? I have the TST 507RV TPMS with 8 flow through sensors that monitor pressure and temps. Now into the third season with it and am happy with it so far, I bought a second set for good friends and camping buddies of ours for their Class A.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:29 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Fly rod and fishing gear. Oh yah beer. I got to get my priorities straight.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:43 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Which one do you like? I have the TST 507RV TPMS with 8 flow through sensors that monitor pressure and temps. Now into the third season with it and am happy with it so far, I bought a second set for good friends and camping buddies of ours for their Class A.
I harken back to the days when these things first came out and man, were they a pain in the tail. I am guessing the bugs are worked out by now because that was years ago.

So as I look at my catalog and look over the prices for the TST, (and this is not a loaded question), if you are running sensors have they actually alerted you in time to avoid something happening to a tire? Knock on wood, we really have not had much trouble with tires and when we have, it was in situations where I knew better. On the other hand, I am just finished work on a Grand Junction that had an explosive blow-out and it made quite a mess. So you have me thinking.

Steve

Old 04-06-2016, 06:48 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 831 Likes on 571 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
I harken back to the days when these things first came out and man, were they a pain in the tail. I am guessing the bugs are worked out by now because that was years ago.

So as I look at my catalog and look over the prices for the TST, (and this is not a loaded question), if you are running sensors have they actually alerted you in time to avoid something happening to a tire? Knock on wood, we really have not had much trouble with tires and when we have, it was in situations where I knew better. On the other hand, I am just finished work on a Grand Junction that had an explosive blow-out and it made quite a mess. So you have me thinking.

Steve

So far we have not suffered a low pressure or high temperature event while traveling with the TPMS. I have however tested it by manually dropping pressure on a trailer tire and the dash display alarmed pretty quickly.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:24 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Irelands child
I guess I don't consider a spare and jack an accessory but an integral part of an RV, same as my truck. <snip>
I certainly agree that they should be an integral part, but it seems that it's just been that last handful of years that a spare tire has been included, let alone the tools to change it with. In fact, the last two TT's I bought have spare tires, but no lug wrench and certainly no way to get a flat up off the ground.
In other words, the manufacturers and dealers are still treating them as optional equipment.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:49 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by wrvond
I certainly agree that they should be an integral part, but it seems that it's just been that last handful of years that a spare tire has been included, let alone the tools to change it with. In fact, the last two TT's I bought have spare tires, but no lug wrench and certainly no way to get a flat up off the ground.
In other words, the manufacturers and dealers are still treating them as optional equipment.
That's why I have AAA. I can change one if I have to but if not in bfe, I'll wait for them to do it.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:12 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 997 Posts
If you go on the road without the proper tools, it's on YOU. I agree, the manufacturer SHOULD supply the equipment.... but it ups the bottom line. If they would just TELL you what you have missing!

Old 04-08-2016, 12:28 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,988 Likes on 1,595 Posts
Power protection........

Hole is to allow remote monitor connection

This system has warned me of a faulty ground on the shore power......

Old 04-08-2016, 12:49 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

I also have the TST system on all 6 tires of the truck and the 4 tires of the Montana 5th wheel.

Great peace of mind.

2013 I was towing a 42 ft 18000 lb Raptor 5th wheel. 3 axles. Towing at 65 mph on a 2 lane road in Montana, 2 tires on the starboard side blew. I did not know it. The wife didn't notice it either. A person following us saw it and warned us. With 8 1/2 ft wide trailer, you can not see the tires in the mirrors.
That could have been a disaster. After that I purchased the TST system with 6 sensors for the 5th wheel. Later I added 6 sensors for the truck.
Now that I just purchased the Montana 5th wheel with only 2 axles, I will put the 2 extra sensors on the spare tires.......

Old 04-08-2016, 12:54 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

I also carry 2 bottle jacks......6 ton and 12 ton. Lug wrench X 2.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:07 PM
sgeorge
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
#1 My 300 watts of solar panels so I don't have to hear my generator. (mounted on roof)

#2 All my fishing gear.

#3 My chair for fishing.

#4 Beer.

#5 The wife.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:25 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Next time I have to remember to "bolden" the word "single".

Steve

Old 04-09-2016, 04:56 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Next time I have to remember to "bolden" the word "single".

Steve
Some of us have to complicate the assignment.......

Old 04-09-2016, 07:55 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
My boat.

Enough said.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:04 PM
carlhwv
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scraprat
After boondocking for the past month I'm going to say batteries and enough solar as not to listen to my generator or anyone else's if it can be helped. Then the path less traveled.
Do you have a good configuration for batteries/solar combination that is enough to run a 13,000 BTU air on overnight...not that I would, but it would be a good gauge for capacity? I've been thinking this would be a good perminant addition to the garage. Batteries would be good for counterbalance for pin, solar just makes sense. Anyone done it?

Quick Reply: What is the single aftermarket accessory you regard as essential when you RV?