1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Photo write up on Preventing Passenger (& Driver) Side Fuel Line Leak on top of 7.3L

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 03:13 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Y2K -Thanks for taking the time to document this great write up & reminder.

Old 04-02-2016, 03:50 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,342 Likes on 1,750 Posts
Originally Posted by jetdoc
We use Adel clamps extensively in aviation. They'll take years of abuse.

I can't speak to how Adel clamps last inside of an airplane, but down here on earth, they do not last very long in engine compartments or exposed outdoors under the frames of cars and trucks. Here's one beginning to fail after only a year and a half in service...

There is no abuse applied to this clamp... all it has to do is sit there and hold on to whatever is inside of it. But the santoprene rubber breaks down, cracks, and crumbles away.

I have a pile of carnage of short lived, failed protective clamps that no longer protect from abrasion, since the protective part crumbled away. You can tell by how bright and shiny the metal is that these clamps were not old, and not in service very long...

It's a PITA to go through the work of dressing and installing a wiring harness, supporting and protecting it, only to have to revisit the harness again within a couple of years to make sure the metal edges of the Adel clamps aren't rubbing through the wire insulation or fluid hose due to the rubber of the Adel clamp breaking down and falling away.

I have a fair amount of mostly disappointing experience installing (and reinstalling) these things... for years I stocked three full red StackOn trays of them, in varying sizes. Here's one of my trays...

I've noticed that the older Adel clamps have lasted longer than the ones that are readily available today... and by older I mean clamps from 40+ years ago, of which I have only a couple remaining, which I guardedly save, so that the art of making an Adel clamp isn't lost forever beyond this generation of China and cheap. In the photo below, you can see the difference, with the older, original, authentic Adel clamps on the top, and the newer ones commonly available today on the bottom...

We don't see Adel clamps used in vehicles. The kind of clamp we do see, and that International/Ford used for the fuel line in this case, is made of different stuff. I pulled one of each type of clamp out of the tray and positioned them side by side so the difference can be seen... with the Adel clamp on the top, and the type of clamp used on trucks and tractors on the bottom...

The clamp on the bottom has the type of abrasion insulation I recommend for the fuel line on top of the engine, and it matches the type of insulation that the OEM clamp came with.

I'm unqualified to dispute JetDoc's experience in aviation, but I have not had success in getting Adel clamps to survive under the hoods or frames of vehicles, despite a sizeable investment in the attempt. I strongly recommend using the type of clamp the factory uses, only with a wider diameter to accommodate another insulator, and a longer reach tab than what is typically sold in parts stores.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:26 AM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I removed this bracket years ago, it serves no useful purpose to the owner/operator .

Old 04-03-2016, 08:30 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Another "quality " write-up, reps sent.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:10 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Right or wrong,I just left the clamp off when installing the new fuel line,looks vibration free.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:36 AM
ranagent
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I recently found mine seeping just a bit at the clamp while I was replacing intercooler boots. I was thankful to have found it then instead of it spraying suddenly on our road trip! It's a bugger to get out of there.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:24 PM
timf150
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts
W2KW57 pointed that out to me a few years back when I had to fix my loose UVCH and it was easy to get to. I think I beat the @#$% out of my clamp to fit over the hose I used and still fit onto the bolt.

Ill have to double check my work to make sure it is still holding strong.

Tim M

Old 09-06-2018, 06:31 PM
76Econoline
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was driving home on I-80 the other day when I noticed a huge cloud of smoke behind me, so pulled off at a safe place, with fuel pouring off the back of the engine. Long story bearable, I had the truck towed home, and sure enough I saw diesel down in the engine valley. I had a local shop replace the fuel bowl drain 3 or 4 years ago so presumed it was the same problem. Bought a new one, replaced the old one, and started the engine...fuel still spraying everywhere at the back of the engine on the passenger side. After some searching the forum I found this thread...thanks!!!

The OP must be a genie if he replaced the return line without removing the up-pipe from the intercooler. I'm in my mid-60s, fat, and not that flexible, so am thinking it's better to remove it for better access. Thoughts?

You guys that replaced the line without a new clamp...how's that working for you? I like the idea of using fuel hose to protect the line, but don't have any clamps. I could try making something from thin strapping.

What is the hard line part number so I can order a replacement?

Thanks again! Stan

Old 09-06-2018, 07:42 PM
Silverhks
Senior User
I don't have the part number but RiffRaff has them listed as passenger fuel line.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:16 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
Here ya go

OK why are images no longer attaching??? part number on the one for my 02 is F81Z-9B273-BN

Old 09-06-2018, 08:38 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 76Econoline
Was driving home on I-80 the other day when I noticed a huge cloud of smoke behind me, so pulled off at a safe place, with fuel pouring off the back of the engine. Long story bearable, I had the truck towed home, and sure enough I saw diesel down in the engine valley. I had a local shop replace the fuel bowl drain 3 or 4 years ago so presumed it was the same problem. Bought a new one, replaced the old one, and started the engine...fuel still spraying everywhere at the back of the engine on the passenger side. After some searching the forum I found this thread...thanks!!!

The OP must be a genie if he replaced the return line without removing the up-pipe from the intercooler. I'm in my mid-60s, fat, and not that flexible, so am thinking it's better to remove it for better access. Thoughts?

You guys that replaced the line without a new clamp...how's that working for you? I like the idea of using fuel hose to protect the line, but don't have any clamps. I could try making something from thin strapping.

What is the hard line part number so I can order a replacement?

Thanks again! Stan
Here is the part he mentioned

Passenger Side Fuel Line 99-03 (F81Z9B273BN)

Old 09-06-2018, 09:15 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 785 Likes on 574 Posts
I eventually decided to address this fuel line issue, but in a completely lazy way. I pulled up on the existing bracket to give it some preload. I figured if the bracket is actually supporting the line firmly it will not vibrate and cause wear. Mine was worn on top, so pulling up instead of pushing down made sense.

If y'all see fires in CA on the news ya know it prolly didn't work.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:02 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Who has a part number for the OEM style clamp ?

Old 09-07-2018, 11:26 AM
76Econoline
Senior User
Thanks guys, I appreciate the part #. Now to replace the line...I see in this
the guy says I needs to remove the turbo down pipe to replace the passenger side fuel line. Is that correct? None of the posts I've read suggest that, but thought I'd ask. TIA, Stan

Old 09-26-2020, 01:31 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,342 Likes on 1,750 Posts
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
Who has a part number for the OEM style clamp ?
A member's recent fuel line rupture (albeit on an OBS, with flexible fuel lines, not hard lines like the 99-03) reminded me of this write up, which caused me to see @pirate4x4_camo unanswered question.

I'd like to answer this question by recommending to NOT purchase another OEM clamp, and instead either use a larger clamp with a rubber protection sleeve, or not use any clamp at all.

I've updated the original post and thread title to also include the driver's side hard fuel line clamp replacement behind the top alternator, and to further illustrate the difference between an OEM clamp and a superior aftermarket clamp.

I also added four new photos at the end of the original post detailing the differences on the driver's side.

Quick Reply: Photo write up on Preventing Passenger (& Driver) Side Fuel Line Leak on top of 7.3L