1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Cant get toyota pitman arm off!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 12:13 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cant get toyota pitman arm off!!

Man, I am having a heck of a time here. I'm so excited to get my new column, box, steering wheel on. But I can't get this dang arm off! The box is not on a vehicle, and I just can't seem to get the thing to budge.

I have read and tried to tighten it as much as I can and hit it with a hammer. I tried doing that and then readjusting the puller to hit it on another side. Nada!

I haven't tried any heat. I don't have an air compressor here at my house. Do you think that using an impact on the puller would be a game changer?

Name:  image-2183652655.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  534.5 KB

Old 03-31-2016, 12:19 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
I have had some luck with using a box end wrench to tighten the puller bolt while smacking the top of the puller bolt with a hammer. Even a propane torch will generate enough heat to free up most arms if the hammer trick fails.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:26 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
I have had some luck with using a box end wrench to tighten the puller bolt while smacking the top of the puller bolt with a hammer. Even a propane torch will generate enough heat to free up most arms if the hammer trick fails.
Worth a shot thank you! Maybe time to invest in a simple torch...and maybe a battery powered impact for my garage (it's hard for me to pay the $$ for a compressor setup because my brother has a nice setup at his house 15 mins down the road. I'd rather spend the $500 or so on truck parts! )

Old 03-31-2016, 12:40 PM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take it to your brothers house and try the impact before you destroy the seal with a torch

Old 03-31-2016, 12:48 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
What makes the impact so effective is the shock that it applies in the internal hammering action of the impact. This is the same effect you will get by rapping the end of the puller bolt while torqueing the bolt. As for the heat, oldmerc is correct but with a little care heat can be applied to the arm without overheating the shaft...if the arm can be heated the metal will expand enough to free itself.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:05 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by oldmerc
Take it to your brothers house and try the impact before you destroy the seal with a torch
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
What makes the impact so effective is the shock that it applies in the internal hammering action of the impact. This is the same effect you will get by rapping the end of the puller bolt while torqueing the bolt. As for the heat, oldmerc is correct but with a little care heat can be applied to the arm without overheating the shaft...if the arm can be heated the metal will expand enough to free itself.

10-4 and 10-4! I'll keep you posted...

Old 03-31-2016, 01:43 PM
Kleinn Air Horns
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you try the torch idea I suggest you wrap the steering box and shaft with some old towels and soak them with water. This will protect them and keep them cool. Keep an eye out to make sure they don't catch on fire. Keep extra water around.

Not sure if the puller will stand up to the impact gun. Plus, if you built up enough torque and it failed you might end up with a deadly missile. I would hand torque it and go to work with the torch. Spread the heat around the pittman arm. Keep heating ans whacking. She should let go.

Old 03-31-2016, 02:59 PM
CBeav
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My offer is to just take it to a shop and pay them $5-$10 to do it for you. The puller you're using is a pretty basic item but usually won't do the job if it's tight. A pro tool will normally pull it off without a blink.

Old 03-31-2016, 03:17 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by CBeav
My offer is to just take it to a shop and pay them $5-$10 to do it for you. The puller you're using is a pretty basic item but usually won't do the job if it's tight. A pro tool will normally pull it off without a blink.
Definitely not opposed to that idea. I've had to go that route with other things in the past.

Might try to think of a shop right now...trying to think of what "type" of shop to put in the old Google!

Old 03-31-2016, 04:53 PM
seaves46
Laughing Gas
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts
Put a cut down the side of it with an angle grinder , your replacing the pitman arm anyway ?

Old 03-31-2016, 05:41 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by seaves46
Put a cut down the side of it with an angle grinder , your replacing the pitman arm anyway ?
I have considered this...but was trying to save the pitman arm so I could sell it to mid fifty in May at the F100 supernats ($10). The frustration is probably not worth $10 though....haha

Old 03-31-2016, 05:54 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe you can get a big enough socket to fit over the shaft and drive the arm towards the box a little bit. Then go back to the puller, use plenty of PB too.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:56 PM
artscott61
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
I had to use an impact while tapping it and then off it came. If you can help it do not ruin the arm and or box. Are you installing power steering ?
If you get a chance check out my post of leaning to the left as I put the same springs in that you did but not a drop axle and I was wondering how much clearance you have ?

Old 03-31-2016, 06:04 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by toby tough
Maybe you can get a big enough socket to fit over the shaft and drive the arm towards the box a little bit. Then go back to the puller, use plenty of PB too.
Throughout the day I have been tightening it a little, then giving it some hits on the arm with a hammer, then tapping on top of the puller bolt, adding PB Blaster...and lots of praying! Thanks for the suggestion!

Originally Posted by artscott61
I had to use an impact while tapping it and then off it came. If you can help it do not ruin the arm and or box. Are you installing power steering ?
If you get a chance check out my post of leaning to the left as I put the same springs in that you did but not a drop axle and I was wondering how much clearance you have ?
Yes I've had this box for a few years now but finally decided to use it to do the toyota power steering conversion. I'm putting a 30" Ididit column in and bought the ujoint and new pitman arm from CPP. I got a 4.5" brushed aluminum Ididit column drop and a '40 ford reproduction steering wheel.

I'll check out your post. So far so good with the motor in and the front sheet metal on, I still have some room for travel with the lowering springs and drop axle. I figure I may have to heat and bend the steering arm eventually to get it level.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:31 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
I work for a software company that provides software solutions to car dealerships. I'm going to bring my box with pitman arm attached to a Ford dealer that I'm visiting tomorrow and see if they can help me out. The owner of the dealership is building an F1 and will hopefully be willing to give me a hand!

Quick Reply: Cant get toyota pitman arm off!!