1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

what do you use for Anti Thief.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 02:37 PM
mario9272
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what do you use for Anti Thief.

Hello Everyone,

I am just curious what you guys use to not get your trucks stolen. On March 10 someone stole my truck. A few guys on quads found the truck a few day later and they found it on the ground with no wheels. they smashed the passenger side window and the ignition. stole my stereo out of the it along with my speakers. the main thing is that they did not burn it as what happens to most trucks people steal around here. I know I will be buying a steering wheel lock. But I was just curious on what your guys use. thanks

This is the photo of how they found my truck

Old 03-27-2016, 03:04 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,103 Likes on 1,791 Posts
Sorry to hear about your truck.
As you said it could have been a lot worst.

The wheel lock can be taken off - cut the wheel with bolt cutters and slip the lock off.
Could remove the wheel completely but that can be a pain as you have to carry the wheel with you if you go shopping.

Some will add a fuel cut off valve on the fuel line again a pain as you have to get under to open & close it and if someone is watching they can do the same. I don't know if them make electric fuel cut off valves but if they do could add that and have it on a switch hidden then you can turn on & off.
Bad thing of this is on a carb motor it will still run till the carb runs dry a few miles down the road.

The best I think is a hidden switch that kills the IGN so no spark. No spark means no run and no move. Could even add 2 switches so if they find one it still will not start.

Have you been checking Craig’s list for your wheels & tires? There are a lot of dumb crooks out there.
Dave ----

Old 03-27-2016, 04:13 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
protection? Locked Garage, Akita, Ruger SR9-C, Colt 1911 .45 ACP (original)

Old 03-27-2016, 04:23 PM
81ChopTop
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Glad they didn't completely destroy the truck. Sucks that it even happened though.

Where are you located and do you have a pic of the wheels you could put on here?

My anti-theft is a Sig Sauer P229...and people that know me know better than to mess with my vehicles.

Old 03-27-2016, 04:47 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Sorry to see about your truck. My plan is install a security system that has a loud siren, starter lockout, and a hood lock. Beyond that, the security system will also be wired to the tach wire such that it will ground the coil. No amount of jumping 12v to the "Batt" side of the coil will get the system to fire.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:46 PM
Wagonboy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stick Shift?

Old 03-27-2016, 08:28 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
I have a locking wheel lock but its not for the wheel it goes from the wheel to the brake pedal. Even if you get it started you cant turn the wheel much and you sure as hell cant use the brakes.

I also have an alarm on the truck that is armed all the time.

So if someone is stupid enough to set the alarm off or even talk loud around the truck as I sleep with a window open I will hear and I will come out with a firearm of some kind.

I know at work we install kill switches that use the dimmer switch to interrupt the starter signal wire from the key switch. Thing is though on vehicles with floor mounted dimmer switches already it would be obvious and on these trucks you cant exactly mount it up on the firewall out of view but you can still press it with your foot.

I have on my mercury a generic cheapie alarm but it comes with a ignition disable where when the alarm is armed even if you cut the power wire it will not close the circuit on the relay to allow the ignition coil to have fire.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:46 PM
first today
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have seen jeep guys fold the seat forward and drill a hole through the bracket to put a lock.
If they can not put the seat back, they can not drive it.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:57 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
interesting on the Fold-the-seat lock.
Would suck on a rainy night having to get the lock open while standing there with door open.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:53 AM
Rovernut
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A friend leave a dirty distributor on a newspaper on the driver's seat and a note on the dash that says, "Gone for parts".

Old 03-28-2016, 11:33 AM
kr98664
Lead Driver
Received 688 Likes on 552 Posts
Originally Posted by mario9272

I am just curious what you guys use to not get your trucks stolen.

Not meant as salt in your wound, but your truck looks too nice and makes an attractive target. My truck is ugly enough that hopefully nobody want to mess with it. Sorta like how for years I've successfully used my looks and personality as birth control.

On a couple of old Jeeps I own, I use a heavy cable and padlock to the steering wheel. I use a Club on my Corvair. Both methods are somewhat a pain as you have to actively install them each time, but nobody has touched them yet.

I've had one thought kicking around on the back burner for a simple relay-based automatic system. It would take advantage of a thief's reluctance to draw attention to himself. After a normal engine shutdown, a relay would relax and disable the starter or ignition, whichever you'd prefer.

To energize this relay again so the engine would start, you'd have to push the horn button first, something no thief in his right mind would try. Only you (and anybody reading this public forum) would know this secret. The horn circuit is modified by the antitheft system. With the engine shutoff normally, the horn doesn't sound on the first press of the button. That first press only turns off the antitheft system and allows a normal start. After that, the horn works normally.

Like I said, this was only an idea but I'm sure it's possible to make work if interested. No system is perfect, but I think this idea could work.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:46 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Sign on the door - "We're sorry, but due to rising prices of ammunition, we are no longer able to provide a warning shot."

Old 03-28-2016, 07:12 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Printing that out now! Love it!

Old 04-02-2016, 02:59 PM
fljab
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Wagonboy
Stick Shift?
in the form of a 3 on the tree!

I know, not feasible in your truck. I do like the idea of having multiple devices - electrical shut off - fuel disconnect - alarm - and maybe a line lock. Things that can be put in force, and taken off line, quickly.

And hey, maybe that distributor on the seat also with the "going for parts" note!

Old 04-02-2016, 06:40 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
I was thinking, the P.O. drilled a hole on the cluster bezel for something years ago.
Sm, I could mount a "normally open" push button switch directly behind the hole in the dash, and run the ignition wire to it, then back down to it's original spot.

Leaving a typical pencil in the cubby.

but the pencil is the activation for the switch.
Insert pencil, closes the circuit, now it will start....

Quick Reply: what do you use for Anti Thief.