6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

In Need Of Electrical Gurus - Brake Light/Turn Signal Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 06:40 PM
BobSagt
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Need Of Electrical Gurus - Brake Light/Turn Signal Issue

Hi All,

First post to the forum....new owner of an 04 F250 6.0L!!

An issue I noticed right off the bat was that whenever I had the driver side turn signal on, and the brake was applied, the turn signal freezes.

I took apart the tail light and found a concoction of wires...I posted a diagram illustrating what it looks like.

There is this pesky Red wire that is spliced into the tail light bulb socket wire (specifically the green wire).

There is a trailer brake installed...if this means anything. I've tried disconnecting that with no luck on fixing the issue.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to further troubleshoot would be great...electrical work is not my forte!

Thank you in advance!

Attached Images  
Old 03-25-2016, 06:55 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
SO the turn signal just stays on when brake is pressed??

Undo all the add on stuff

sounds like a Brake light wire is tied into turn signal circuit causing the turn signal to stay on when brake is depressed

Sean or someone may have a wire diagram handy

Old 03-25-2016, 07:44 PM
BobSagt
New User
Thanks for the response blade.

The 'add-on' stuff is just a simple brake controller, and it doesn't seem to have any effect whether it's plugged or unplugged.

When you say the 'brake light wire', are you referring to that pesky spliced-in Red wire or the factory green wire on the bulb socket?

Remember, the factory green wire should control both the turn signal and brake light. For some reason on my truck, they had to splice in a Red wire in order to get the brake light to work...even though it then freezes the turn signal as a result.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:46 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
One wire shouldn't control both brake and turn signal

The turn signal has an interrupter to make it flash

Steady power from brake wire would make it light solid

Something's not right I don't have that wire diagram readily advalible Sean would

Old 03-25-2016, 08:52 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
It must be a brake light turn light with double element inside one bulb then
Or no?
Factory lights?

And it might be the case the interrupter is bad

I'm no help we need a wire diagram I don't have that one readily advalible right now I could maybe dig it up tommorrow

What year

Old 03-25-2016, 08:52 PM
BobSagt
New User
I took the passenger side light off and there was just 1 green wire and 2 black wires for that light....and it works fine?

Are you sure there's another wire...why would the bulb sockets be different for the passenger side?

Old 03-25-2016, 08:53 PM
BobSagt
New User
Yes it has the double element

Old 03-25-2016, 08:58 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by BobSagt
I took the passenger side light off and there was just 1 green wire and 2 black wires for that light....and it works fine?

Are you sure there's another wire...why would the bulb sockets be different for the passenger side?
your right it wouldn't

the two black must control it

Old 03-25-2016, 10:35 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
SOme diagrams that may help.

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 03-25-2016, 10:54 PM
BobSagt
New User
Sean,

Thanks for providing those diagrams...full disclosure...I'm not electrically inclined whatsoever. Not quite sure why I need that random Red wire coming into my factory green wire if the green wire is supposed to deliver power.

And remember, the green wire DOES deliver power because the turn signal works when the red wire is removed...but not the brake light.

Thoughts from anyone who is more familiar with reading these diagrams?

Old 03-26-2016, 01:00 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
The diagrams will give you the color of each wire as it was built from ford.

These 3 PDFs should be very helpful for the people that are not good with electrical
or that don't have any experience at all. They are the key on reading the diagrams.

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 03-28-2016, 10:34 AM
da-bees
Senior User
Welcome to FTE Bob. If you have a vom,start by familirizing with what each wire on RIGHT side does and when it does it. If you don't have a vom,buy one and start learning to use it or forget about troubleshooting modern cars. I didn't see green on the scimatics but if you have 2 black and 1 green,green is most likly ground and is common to body of truck. Check right side light to find out (A) if green is common to ground (B) if there is a tracer or other way such as size of telling one black from the other. Returning to left light,disconnect red wire for now then make sure left is wired same as right. If my hunch is right green is not a good ground (if indeed that's what it was on right). There should be no resistance between bulb socket and chassis of truck. If resistance is found,jumper a temporary ground to socket then try turn,brake and park lights. Report back

Old 04-02-2016, 12:02 AM
BobSagt
New User
Quick update, I was messing with the wire connections on Friday. I went out of town this week and when I got back today, I had no brake lights or turn signals.

This issue is becoming even more hairy the more I delve into it.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:26 AM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
I wonder if you have a problem with the directional switch in the column. Wouldn't be the first time it's happened

Old 04-02-2016, 02:08 PM
BobSagt
New User
Update: The brake lights/turn signal outage was caused by the #18 fuse (20A) going out.

Replaced that and I'm back to my original state....brake lights work, turn signals work, but left turn signal freezes when brakes applied.

Will be in and out of town on business the next few weeks but will look into Da-Bees suggestions.

Quick Reply: In Need Of Electrical Gurus - Brake Light/Turn Signal Issue