Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Riffraff HPX FRX CVD install review

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 11:44 AM
DanielT28
Laughing Gas
Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
Riffraff HPX FRX CVD install review

I just installed the riffraff CVD. HPX. And FRX.

So far so good. I did notice truck Is a bit quieter. Still need to drive it more to see if any real economical gains.

It took me about 9 hours to do all them. Mostly because I didn't have some of the right tools. And fittings were a pain to install. But it takes patience.

I don't think I ever want to do it again unless somebody paid me good money. Not a hard job. Just frustrating how tight a lot of the spots were to get to. I'm a big guy. Anyways my chest Neck back stomach and arms are sore.

Overall a good project. Not really sure if it was worth it yet.

Thanks. Sorry for ranting

Old 03-25-2016, 12:38 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Give it a little time to work the air out of the HPO system, you will notice gains soon. Welcome to the PSD club, everything you do up on that engine gives you sore back and stomach

Old 03-25-2016, 04:05 PM
ccs273
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
these mods are on my "to do" list right now also

Old 03-25-2016, 06:04 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by duck fan
Welcome to the PSD club, everything you do up on that engine gives you sore back and stomach
And a lighter wallet.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:48 AM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Top side creeper helps.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:13 PM
coreyATcncfab
Cross-Country
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by duck fan
Give it a little time to work the air out of the HPO system, you will notice gains soon. Welcome to the PSD club, everything you do up on that engine gives you sore back and stomach
That's very true. I've had a few turbo swaps in the shop that simply were a royal pain to line up the dowl pin on the up pipe collector. Small bruises all over my gut and chest.

Old 04-29-2016, 03:33 AM
Traildust
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I installed all the same mods about two years ago and at first the engine did quiet down and smooth out. My fuel mileage stayed the same about 15 mpg average. I even purchased that useless 9/32 Square Pipe Plug Socket that didn't work to well at all. I am affraid my truck is cursed with bad knocking. I even swapped out the Long Lead#8 with a AD #8.
Bill

Old 04-29-2016, 07:55 AM
wameyer
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coreyATcncfab
That's very true. I've had a few turbo swaps in the shop that simply were a royal pain to line up the dowl pin on the up pipe collector. Small bruises all over my gut and chest.
Top side creeper is the way to go. I spent 14+ hours doing an entire top end job with turbo rebuild, bellowed up-pipes which help with lining the dowl pin it just falls in place. I did the hpx, cvd, and frx list goes on pretty much every mod one can do and must say I love my 7.3

Old 04-29-2016, 08:35 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,443 Likes on 2,841 Posts
You have probably seen on here before, and the FTE is where I got the idea. I build the "poor mans top side creeper" and it worked great. I don't plan to do a lot of heavy work on my truck (who does really) and this served its purpose very well and was cheap as dirt.

I had the 2x12 board just laying around from when I was working on my roof and bought the hooks from HD for a few dollars. I doubled up the 2x12 just to be sure there was no bending, but don't feel it is required. I latched the hooks onto the tow hooks on the front of the truck and then stood on the boards for most of the work I performed on the engine. I also removed each battery so that the board would serve as a step up to the engine bay for when I needed to crawl into it and have a heart to heart chat with it when things weren't going the way I wanted them to.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:12 PM
Amicus
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Sous, how do you use that? What do the hooks do for you?

Gilbert

Old 04-29-2016, 02:35 PM
Pwrgeek
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sous
You have probably seen on here before, and the FTE is where I got the idea. I build the "poor mans top side creeper" and it worked great. I don't plan to do a lot of heavy work on my truck (who does really) and this served its purpose very well and was cheap as dirt.

I had the 2x12 board just laying around from when I was working on my roof and bought the hooks from HD for a few dollars. I doubled up the 2x12 just to be sure there was no bending, but don't feel it is required. I latched the hooks onto the tow hooks on the front of the truck and then stood on the boards for most of the work I performed on the engine. I also removed each battery so that the board would serve as a step up to the engine bay for when I needed to crawl into it and have a heart to heart chat with it when things weren't going the way I wanted them to.
That's brilliant. I have a lift so I usually just pull the tires and lower it down to where the rotors are almost on the ground to do stuff in the engine bay.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:15 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Amicus
Sous, how do you use that? What do the hooks do for you?

Gilbert
The hooks latch into the tow hooks of the truck on the front. If you look at it closely you can see that I set them back a bit on the board so that the board could brace against the lower steel under the bumper on the truck. This kept the board fairly stable and the hooks provided the rest of the stability when standing on it.

I put it on in a fashion that if I leaned over the engine the board would tilt out with my feet and legs and not fall out of the tow hooks. So, when you put it in the tow hooks, the board hooks are facing up and go into the tow hooks from underneath.

It is by no means hi tech or as good as a high side creeper, but it worked well for me.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:16 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Pwrgeek
That's brilliant. I have a lift so I usually just pull the tires and lower it down to where the rotors are almost on the ground to do stuff in the engine bay.
A good friend of mine has a lift in his garage and does this same thing on his 7.3. Makes it even easier and is a great idea and use of your resources.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:58 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
I have one of these:

Step Stool/Working Platform

I got it when it was on sale ($15 I think). It's been extremely handy and makes it a lot easier to work on top (I'm 6' 2"). It's no top creeper but it was also less than 20 bucks.

Old 04-30-2016, 01:41 AM
thordehr
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use a platform/painter's scaffold as well but add an outdoor vinyl couch cushion on top of the engine and lay on that. It spreads around the weight and is really comfortable. Allows you to become one with the machine. If I don't have the platform, I drive it up to my side stairs and voila! I have a variety of heights to use while leaning into the engine.

Quick Reply: Riffraff HPX FRX CVD install review