Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Engine oil leak on my beloved 7.3

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 02:11 PM
PSDLOVER
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Engine oil leak on my beloved 7.3

Kind of bummed my truck now leaks oil from both the front and back. It's not much volume wise - probably a pint every couple months but before I came up to Alaska it had never leaked a drop. Probably nothing I can do about it barring a rebuild. I have noticed all the guys say not to use any oil additives of any kind. Trying to get it in a shape for another epic journey back down the Alcan highway this fall. Or should I get rid of it and go for a 6.7. I have a great job here but dislike living in Valdez and they won't transfer me over to Anchorage/Kenai.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:15 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by PSDLOVER
Kind of bummed my truck now leaks oil from both the front and back. It's not much volume wise - probably a pint every couple months but before I came up to Alaska it had never leaked a drop. Probably nothing I can do about it barring a rebuild. I have noticed all the guys say not to use any oil additives of any kind. Trying to get it in a shape for another epic journey back down the Alcan highway this fall. Or should I get rid of it and go for a 6.7. I have a great job here but dislike living in Valdez and they won't transfer me over to Anchorage/Kenai.
Valdez is sort of isolated. Is Oscar's still there down on the dock? I can't help with the oil leak but others can and will.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:57 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
From the front....Could be coolant...maybe picking up some grease on the way down? Check the weep hole below the pulley on your water pump.

From the rear....Take of the look pretty plastic on top of th motor and with a light look down into the top valley of the engine. If all greasy in there...could be a rear plug or sensor on the HPOP.

I would start there then with some more info, should be able to track it down.

For the HPOP, I would clean it up real good, the stuff paper towels all around it. Start the engine and let it warm up a little. Shut it down then remove the paper towels one by one noting where around the HPOP they came from to see where the oil is coming from.

As for the front...have you had a chance to look at it from the bottom to see if you can trace back the drip?

Old 03-24-2016, 10:00 PM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Just an FYI, 7.3's don't leak oil, they sweat power.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:43 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know much about the 6.7 and might want to head over to the 6.7 section and check out what problems they are having. They're starting to build up on milage and the problems are starting to show and are not cheap.

For your oil leak I would suggest spending a few hours cleaning it all up top to bottom front to back with some detergent and light pressure out of a garden hose. once you track down where the leaks are located we can get you all fixed up.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:13 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by SRBF150
Just an FYI, 7.3's don't leak oil, they sweat power.
LOL, good stuff there! Nice variation from "marking their territory".

For the OPs leak at the front, could be the oil cooler. The o rings get stiff with age and can leak a bit of oil when they get cold. Mine drips a bit when temps get down to freezing. The o ring kit is cheap and they say it's a very doable project for the DIYer.

Drips off the back usually originate from the top. Get comfy on top there and peek around the valley with a strong flashlight.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:58 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X2 on what David said, especially if this started after you got up to cold country. You mentioned front and back, but if it is only on the drivers side the oil cooler is a prime suspect.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:00 PM
PSDLOVER
Tuned
Thanks Guys for your comments. The one in the front appeared last Nov when I left the vehicle parked at the airport in Valdez for 10 days. It was Fall in the 50s when I departed and when I returned its was single numbers and obviously Winter. When I finally got it started with ether and a booster it didn't sound good and a bunch of oil came pouring out the front onto the ground. Then it stopped and never came out like that again but continues to leak very slowly. The rear leak was diagnosed by the one local mechanic shop that I do not trust and no longer go to as the Rear Seal. But this is also very very slow. The truck still runs as good as ever though and I drive it every day.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:10 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear seal is very rare on these engines. It is almost always from the valley and out of the rear drain hole and down the back of the engine. Usually seen as slow drip from the TC cover plate. This can also be "blown back" from the oil cooler as well, mine was. Replaced oil cooler O-rings and no more leaks anywhere.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:07 AM
PSDLOVER
Tuned
Just heard from a local that the HPOP is the culprit in many if not most motor oil leaks on the 7.3. Is that doable to change out? Are they strictly a dealer part?

Old 04-24-2016, 08:26 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
The HPOP is very serviceable. Even the "non-serviceable" plug on it can be serviced. With a decent set of hand tools you can do most of the work. A lot can even be done without removing it from the truck.
My recommendation would be to simple green all over the HPOP and the engine, garden hose it all off after letting it soak for a few minutes, (no high pressure), then let it dry up. Stuff paper towels all around the HPOP and run the engine up to normal operating temps.
Then shut it down and slowly pull the paper towels paying attention to where they came from. This can narrow down and help tell you where on the HPOP the leak is coming from.

I had a rear plug that was causing my leaking that was said to never leak. I was able to pull it, clean and dry then new oring and close it back up. All is good and has been for about 3yrs.

So before breaking out a slew of tools... Grab the cleaner and paper towels. Could save you a lot of time, money and headaches.