THE TAG AXLE option

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 02:00 AM
Fishing Wholesalers
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pack4tag
I live about four miles from a truck stop with Cat scales. I'm guessing about about eight trips there over the years. The scale operator cannot see the tag,so it's confusing to them.
Yes like a WDH. On the 250 the tag axle is 58" behind the rear axle of a 142" WB truck
So,when I adjust to take 1000# off the rear,about 300# of that is transferred to the front axle and 700# goes to the tag.Which the DOT treats as another vehicle,with it's own weight restrictions up to 18,000# on a concrete truck.Mine is a 2000# axle,but 1840#
tires.I normally shot for 1000# on the tag ,and settle for 800# too 1200#.
The trucks three mounting points varies with the different trucks. On the GMC I used the front bolt holes of the OEM receiver hitch to the main frames.

I suppose you could put a set of airbags onto of the springs if you run airbags on your F250 now also. Could be a simply add on and may improve ride even further...Maybe?

Old 06-24-2018, 12:21 AM
martina marty
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interested

[QUOTE=pack4tag;16432504]I have a Mfg. partner who is working with the DOT for certification.
They will not MFG without DOT cert.
Your thinking makes a lot of sense to my. The Tag will have its own
payload rating of about 1500# on the base model.
My 250 is a 142"WB.The tag adds 58". When I took 1000# off the
rear axle,300# went to the front and 700# went to the tag.
As my good friend (a retired General) says "You do the Math".
The garage thing gives me another marketing angle.Thanks.

PACK4TAG
I would like one of these are they available? I live in west valley arizona

Old 06-24-2018, 09:59 AM
pack4tag
Cross-Country
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Marty
We finally got through the US DOT in Washington,after 22 months, with a very favorable interpretation.
I am in negotiations with the trailer manufacturer.The unit is now Patent Pending.
We just left our Sun City West home on June 9 for a 3200 mile trip home to Iowa.
The Weight Distributing Truck Camper Trailer continues to perform without issues.

Roy

Old 06-24-2018, 04:09 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
Very cool, it may be a smaller market for this equipment, but for those that need it, it is a wonderful option.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:16 AM
stufarmer
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Tag Axles were around in the 60's for Larger Campers. They lasted about as long as the Load Support Wheel under the Tongue of Trailers.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:27 PM
Trickstang23
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tag Axle Plans

I am very impressed with your tag axle and would like to build one myself. I have a 2014 Ram 1500 (no not a Ford please forgive me). Anyway I know you and your partner were trying to make this commercially available. How is that going? Anyway pictures or diagrams would be great for my Lance Camper I’m looking to purchase. My payload sucks and I can’t afford a 3/4 ton. Thanks again.
Originally Posted by pack4tag
I built the tag in 2002 after my wife purchased the Lance.My pickup at the time (still have it) was a 2001 GMC 1500, GVWR of 7200#. I had owned two tag axles (one was a BORN FREE)in the 60s,70s, and 80s. The GMC HAD to have help, I could not find a tag axle, new or used,so I was retired and had time. For the GMC, it was necessary.
In April 2015 when I took delivery of the 250 SD,my wife says she must have the steps. I must have the storage and the must improved DRIVE ABILITY, especially in the wind that a tag adds to a pickup. IMO a pickup campers weight will be about 90% to the rear axle.making the front end light.
Be registration I assume you mean the 10,000#GVWR, Yes,I will not exceed a truck GVWR. The tag axle is another vehicle.
The tires DO scuff or scrub and that is not always a bad thing,like wanting to drive straight down the road, not wandering. The first set of tires came off at 22000 miles because of age,12 years old.
Thanks for your interest and comments.
The Tag Axle Guy
Roy

Old 09-11-2019, 07:35 AM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Trickstang23
I am very impressed with your tag axle and would like to build one myself. I have a 2014 Ram 1500 (no not a Ford please forgive me). Anyway I know you and your partner were trying to make this commercially available. How is that going? Anyway pictures or diagrams would be great for my Lance Camper I’m looking to purchase. My payload sucks and I can’t afford a 3/4 ton. Thanks again.
He won't share any info to help you build your own. I asked last year.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:11 AM
beachcamperf250
More Turbo
Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
He has patented or has applied for much of it, not going to share how to do it but would probably sell you one.

Old 09-11-2019, 11:51 AM
CathedralCub
Lead Driver
Received 746 Likes on 680 Posts
How does this handle bumps? It looks like it has room to compress maybe an inch at most, at least on the F250 with the box above the wheels. What if the bump is bigger, like a typical speed bump in a parking lot, or a speed hump on a suburban street, and big undulations out on the highway?

Also, what speed are the tires rated for?

Old 09-11-2019, 12:33 PM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
since it has no "Load Sensing" just Torsion Axles you can guess what a speed bump will do, so you need to drive with care over them.

I think it's a good idea in some cases (I could sure use it) ... it wouldn't be hard to incorporate a Load Sense system BUT it will cost Money.

I've considered this as one trailer I often tow has a tongue weight of right near 2000 Lbs and when I have my Camper on the truck it can become an Oscillating Issue, especially if the road has any washboarding. (and most do)

Old 09-11-2019, 02:59 PM
CathedralCub
Lead Driver
Received 746 Likes on 680 Posts
Originally Posted by lonewolf_
since it has no "Load Sensing" just Torsion Axles you can guess what a speed bump will do, so you need to drive with care over them.

I think it's a good idea in some cases (I could sure use it) ... it wouldn't be hard to incorporate a Load Sense system BUT it will cost Money.

I've considered this as one trailer I often tow has a tongue weight of right near 2000 Lbs and when I have my Camper on the truck it can become an Oscillating Issue, especially if the road has any washboarding. (and most do)
My concern is that it appears to have little room for upward motion, so anything big would be like having almost no suspension at all, and with that much weight and that long of a span it would transfer some amount of the upward bumps into downward bumps at the front axle.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:54 PM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
Originally Posted by CathedralCub
My concern is that it appears to have little room for upward motion, so anything big would be like having almost no suspension at all, and with that much weight and that long of a span it would transfer some amount of the upward bumps into downward bumps at the front axle.
ya I understand, this all depends on the axle setting too, since he says he is using a "Custom" Torsion axle His Design I'm guessing, so I cannot tell you what Degree of travel it has..... the only Torsion axles I know anything about are the Dexter as I have a few of them on the Battle Ship and I can tell you that mine only have about a 6" travel.

a lot depends on how you initially set it up ie what is your Pre-Load...less pre-load more travel....... then again the more you load it the better the ride

EDIT: in fact I think I asked the same question as you some time back in a different Thread and I believe the response was "you will feel the Bumps"

Old 09-14-2019, 09:13 AM
pack4tag
Cross-Country

So,here is my new challenge.long bed on a short bed.Stay tuned.we are very close to commercially available.The first Vin 001 has been delivered.He stopped by the other day and is so satisfied he is in no hurry for me to tweak the adjustments.

Old 09-14-2019, 10:37 AM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
Nice... don't know what the over hang is on it.. here in Texas 4 foot past the body is max and that is not measured from the bumper here, it is possible to get a "Special Permit" for longer.

A vehicle or combination of vehicles may not carry a load that extends more than three feet beyond its front or, except as permitted by other law, more than four feet beyond its rear.

I've built a few of the old skool sling dollies and Texas makes you Register them and put a plate on it just like you would for a Utility trailer.
In Texas, if it has a wheel or more, it's considered a trailer.
Fortunately Slide in Campers don't have Wheels so no Registration is needed here, But I bet IF a tag axle is added they will want some Money.
of course not all States are created equal.......

example of Sling Dolly for those that may not know the term as they are not very common nowadays.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:03 PM
pack4tag
Cross-Country
The over hang is about 39". Also I am in no way encouraging anyone to go to this EXTREME. This Alpenlite is heavy,and the body is 10'-3",not including the jacks,steps, or ladders.For a better view you may want to "Google","Pack Enterprises LLC".Another Google of interest may be "Weight Distribution Truck Camper Trailer". Yea,You are correct,the vehicle is a trailer,with an SAE VIN # and a Certificate of Origin .The Iowa license is (for 2000#GVWR) $20 per year,your state WILL vary.We are fortunate the state laws allow us to travel reciprocally,and that our RVs are basically exempt from DOT scales (currently).
Stay tuned.
Roy

Quick Reply: THE TAG AXLE option