Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Tips on preparing my truck for a 600 mile trip

Old 03-19-2016, 11:28 AM
SoCalAngler
Elder User
SoCalAngler is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tips on preparing my truck for a 600 mile trip

Getting ready to take a 600 mile round trip pulling my 5er (5er weighs 8000#) This is the first long trip in this truck. The truck has original 60K miles. Below are the items that have been serviced in the last 5000 miles (unless otherwise noted).

The truck runs great. Only item noted is that there is a slight rough idle for a few seconds when starting HOT. As soon as I hit throttle it evens out quickly and goes away. Seems like it is gasping for fuel. Not every time, but it does occur. Is this is major concern, especially for my long trip?

Are there any other items that I should check / service prior to my trip?

1. Complete trans service (with torque converter drained).....NEW Motorcraft® Trans filter with new Motorcraft® fluid
2. NEW Gates® radiator hoses (all 3)
3. NEW Gates® belts
4. NEW Gates® Heater hoses
5. Complete coolant back flush with block drained). NEW Coolant added
6. Oil/ and Motorcraft® filter changed (1000 miles ago)
7. NEW Motorcraft® fuel filter, air filter, PCV valve
8. NEW Motorcraft® plugs, wires, cap, rotor
9. NEW Trans cooler added
10. NEW Trans temp, water temp, and volt gauges installed
11. NEW TOYO® Radiator
12. NEW Motorcraft® thermostat (192 degrees)
13. NEW Gates® radiator cap
14. Battery is 3 years old
15. Alternator replaced 2 years ago
16. AC serviced
17. NEW front brake pads
18. NEW Motorcraft® front brake hydraulic lines
19. NEW Motorcraft® master cylinder
20. Rear brakes adjusted
21. Reman. smog pump
22. New Michelin tires

Thanks!

Old 03-19-2016, 12:22 PM
'89F2urd
Postmaster
'89F2urd has a very good reputation on FTE.'89F2urd has a very good reputation on FTE.'89F2urd has a very good reputation on FTE.
I drive mine on long trips, and I carry a lot of stuff on me. Full size spare (sometimes 2, losing a 37 on the road is no good), a good jack, oil, atf.

I also carry a good coil, full distributor (in case pip or module fails, or dizzy gear strips), fuel press regulator, eec, a high press frame rail pump (you don't have one), tps and map sensors, u joints...and an unopened bottle of jack. Might seem like overkill but those are the parts that will prevent it from running, and they all fit behind the seat of my regular cab or in the glove box.

For you, keeping both tanks functioning will prevent you from ever being stranded from a bad fuel pump.

Old 03-19-2016, 02:32 PM
DeathRangerofDeath
Senior User
DeathRangerofDeath is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you're **** enough to have bothered putting the registered symbol after all of that, you're probably **** enough to make the trip without any issues.

I'll be doing 2600ish miles this summer with a similar configuration, the only thing I'll be doing additional to what you've done is swap the gear oil (I'm at 202k, and I don't know that it's ever been done), and get an alignment before heading out.
I also intend on carrying 10 gallons of gas along.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:00 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Posting Guru
My4Fordtrucks is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.My4Fordtrucks is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I drive 500+ miles a week going back and forth to work. There isn't anything special that I would do to my vehicle(s) to "prepare" for a 500 mile round trip. I do routine oil changes and other maintence throughout the year.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:21 PM
Dank Hill
Junior User
Dank Hill is starting off with a positive reputation.
No there is nothing you need to do the truck only 60k miles? You should be fine 600 miles isnt alot for a road trip.

I drove my truck about 450 miles one way with no issues and it had 200,000 miles on it then and it isn't in as good as shape as your truck is. So I'm sure you will get to where your going without a hitch, unless you get like a flat tire.

Edit:missed the part where you said you will also be towing. Still you should be fine.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:24 PM
SoCalAngler
Elder User
I am a little ****!! I'm used to using the symbols for work. I wanted to indicate that quality parts were used whenever possible. I will take tools, small floor jack, spare belts, Trans fluid, oil, clamps, water, etc..

Old 03-19-2016, 06:38 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
.45 and a credit card. Everything else is gravy

Old 03-19-2016, 11:43 PM
jason90f150
Senior User
jason90f150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ive kept a spare fuel pump relay in mine. Ironically, after driving my old 90 xlt, from Colorado to Indiana, it took a crap and it wouldn't start the next day. Lucky for me, I had a spare in my toolbox and was good to go.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:53 PM
'89F2urd
Postmaster
'89F2urd has a very good reputation on FTE.'89F2urd has a very good reputation on FTE.'89F2urd has a very good reputation on FTE.
I wouldn't trust 70k miles any different than trusting 300k miles. The same stuff can go wrong with either 20 year old setup.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:33 AM
Wheelman55
Senior User
Wheelman55 is starting off with a positive reputation.
As crazy as it sounds I carry a serpentine belt pulley with me, after having to rescue a neighbor by running 90 miles up to the parts store for one.

Motorcraft only offers the entire assembly, meaning expensive as well as bulky to carry. I got a nice metal one from Napa. I do use only Motorcraft when available, but in this case for a spare it doesn't make sense. Hope I never need it, but my buddy who drives two of the old F series for work has had both of them fail on him.

I drive my 460 back and forth from TX to MN twice a year with no issues.

You will love your truck.

PS. Have you considered doing a double battery system to power your 5th wheel?

Old 03-20-2016, 12:54 PM
SoCalAngler
Elder User
Yes, I will be towing my 5er. I'll be towing in the desert the entire way and it will probably be near 100 degrees F next week when I leave.

24 yo old truck, so yes, anything can go out. In terms of routine maintenance, all items that should be serviced/replaced have been completed as you can see in my list.

There is only so much that can be repaired on the road....however, it is quite a bit on these older trucks. It doesn't appear feasible to take 20 different parts with me as spares, as the one that breaks will always be the one you didn't bring t

I'll carry extra oil, atf, belts, clamps, water, and some tools. I have read about the fuel pumps going out....but not sure how to replace on the road. Don't the tanks have to be dropped? What goes bad and what are the symptoms of a bad one?

Old 03-20-2016, 01:44 PM
Nothing Special
Postmaster
Nothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to all
Originally Posted by SoCalAngler View Post
.... I have read about the fuel pumps going out....but not sure how to replace on the road. Don't the tanks have to be dropped? What goes bad and what are the symptoms of a bad one?
Not a huge deal with two tanks. If one goes bad, worst case is you've got half the range until you get it fixed.

The main way they fail isn't a problem with the fuel pump, but with a check valve. When this happens fuel gets transferred from the tank you're using to the other tank. The symptoms are terrible mileage on one tank and great mileage on the other, or fuel leaking out of a tank that's being over-filled. When this happens it's the FDM in the tank that is getting fuel transferred into it that's got the leaking valve. When this happens you can just drive on the "bad" tank first, then switch to the other tank when the bad one is nearing empty. That way you won't be dumping fuel on the road by trying to transfer it into an already full tank. And if you run the good tank empty a lot faster than you thought, you can switch back to the now partially full bad tank.

Fuel pump going bad will act like the engines running too lean (which it will be when the fuel pressure is too low) or just a sudden shut-down like the ignition was switched off.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:40 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
The problem is, if you get to start worrying about everything and try to guard against every possible contingency and carry a spare this and that of everything, and an extra "this could come in might handy too", the truck will soon be sagging on the bumper stops plus you'll need a chase vehicle to carry the rest of it.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:47 PM
DeathRangerofDeath
Senior User
DeathRangerofDeath is starting off with a positive reputation.
And it won't matter anyways, because you still won't have the part that inevitably fails.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:42 PM
'89F2urd
Postmaster
Barring catastrophic drivetrain failure, it's very easy to carry the needed parts to keep it running. Lord knows I've been saved a stupid amount of.times by the stuff I carry, and lord also knows why I carry them; all the times I've been stranded because of something stupid.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tips on preparing my truck for a 600 mile trip

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.