2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 F150 SCrew - Rusted rocker panels - To repair or not to repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 08:10 AM
fzrider998
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 F150 SCrew - Rusted rocker panels - To repair or not to repair

Hey folks,

I'm curious how many here have taken the plunge into the body shop and had their rocker panes cut/chopped/replaced. Here in PA, and maybe most states that have a winter and salt-happy road crews, most mid-2000's F150 have their rockers getting rusted out.

A buddy of mine had his '05 done two years ago already - his were really, really bad. My '06 was getting some holes and about the size of a nickels and quarters. This year, its growing. Each side is affected.

Last summer, I had two quotes by two shops - looking at around $1800 per side for a total job - cut out the bad, new rear cab corners, new rockers, proper prime/paint/etc. The two shops are very reputable, I've had work done a few times by one of them.

So, the truck is an '06 Lariat, 113K miles, good condition. A few light scratches here and there, indicating the truck does some work, but does not get abused. Its been a very reliable truck - has really not had much done except maintenance. Non-maintenance has included: replaced a front brake caliper, replaced a rear brake caliper, replaced brake light controller, replaced rear pinion seal. In 10 years, that's not bad at all, IMO.

I'm already at that tipping point where I want to trade up for an SCab-8ft bed....but I'm having the F150 vs F250 conversation with myself. So if I kept the '06 for another year, do I repair or just take the hit on trade-in? It seems like a tossup. Putting $3500-$4000 worth of work into it would mean I need to drive it several more years to justify the expense.

Then the thought is, what if I spend the money on body work and then something major breaks....now I'd really be into. I see needing new tires in 2 years or so. That's another grand. I really want to avoid putting a $1000 in tires on the truck, then trading it in 3 months later! We've all probably done that once or twice!

Open to hear some thoughts on the matter...

Happy Friday!

Old 03-18-2016, 08:21 AM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Putting $3500-$4000 worth of work into it would mean I need to drive it several more years to justify the expense. -----------you answered it.........

Old 03-18-2016, 02:49 PM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,362 Likes on 1,708 Posts
I'd unload it and buy a new truck.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:53 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
For what it's worth, if you're already having thoughts about getting rid of the truck anyway; then dropping $3600 worth of rust repair into it may not be worth it. Let the next owner worry about that.
I also have a 2006, and I live in Pennsylvania. I know how harsh the winters can be on a vehicle. Mine is holding up pretty well to the tin worm, but I've gone to great lengths over the past 10 years to keep the rust off. I have some on the bumpers and wheels that I've treated and stopped. I have to go into the engine compartment next with Fluid Film.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:45 PM
1joeking
New User
I would buy a different truck. Once the rust starts if it's that bad it kind of keeps getting worse but it all depends on what you want. Everyone has different ideas about what they want to do with their truck. I have an 05 however it is seldom driven in the winter just because I don't want it to rust away. It looks like you have the undertone of fixing it up. Go for it!

Old 03-21-2016, 11:27 AM
fzrider998
Senior User
Thanks guys - I've never had to deal with it before, usually traded off in a a few years, but this one I've had for about 9 years now.

I think its time...this Fall. Going to wait for the F250's to appear and then decide 150 or 250.

Really hoping corrosion is not much of an issue on the aluminum ones...I keep telling myself, they did their research and have contact points isolated well, etc.

With the durable polymers and spray-bedliner technology, you'd think a heavy coating of that type of material on the rocker panels from the factory would be standard fare since its a "high chip zone".

I remember my dad's '89 Dodge Caravan had that typical bad paint that just fell off...the hood, the sides, etc. But, no rust. Back then, I was only in my early teens, but loved cars and constantly read up on everything. It was common practive (for Dodge at the time) to use galvanized body panels.

Are they no longer galvanizing the sheet metal? It seems to me, all the rusted pickup trucks from the early/mid 2000's (the Big 3 all have their issues) would have fared much better with some galvanized panels.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:55 PM
BII Plow Truck
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Makes you think why Ford only has a 6 year rust through warranty, and German cars have 12 year rust warranties! When's the last time you saw a rusty VW, BMW, or Audi? I guess spending $50 grand every 6 years on a new truck is what they want you to do, I find that unacceptable and a scam.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:59 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
I live in the rust belt, and I don't see too many Ford trucks of this era that are seriously rusted like that of the OP. Mine certainly isn't. The only trucks of this era that I see with a lot of rust on them are Dodge's. Even most Chevrolet's are holding up fairly well.
To the OP: It sounds like you're making a wise decision. If you did invest the money to fix the rust on your truck, you'd never get that money back on trade-in value.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:59 AM
1joeking
New User
I believe Ford's have the least amount of rust. It usually starts out on the cab-corners on the 2004 on up. I have seen tons of Chevrolets 2007 and up and they rust over the rear wheels like they always have. Dodge's are definitely the worst they rust all over the place. My brother owns a body shop and he said the new aluminum Fords are gong to be a problem. He said the front fenders are so light you can lift them with your little finger. He also said Aluminum doesn't hold paint very well. He told me to look at the newer 2005 or so on up models of the Expedition and you will see paint bubbled and flaking off the rear lift gate. After he told me that I seen lots of paint flaking on the Ford Expedition aluminum lift up tailgates. I guess there is not easy way to get out of having your truck rust out in the snow belt areas unless you don't drive it very often in the winter. It's too bad they can't incorporate something else that works better in those problem areas like cab corners.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:42 PM
fzrider998
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1joeking
I believe Ford's have the least amount of rust. It usually starts out on the cab-corners on the 2004 on up. I have seen tons of Chevrolets 2007 and up and they rust over the rear wheels like they always have. Dodge's are definitely the worst they rust all over the place. My brother owns a body shop and he said the new aluminum Fords are gong to be a problem. He said the front fenders are so light you can lift them with your little finger. He also said Aluminum doesn't hold paint very well. He told me to look at the newer 2005 or so on up models of the Expedition and you will see paint bubbled and flaking off the rear lift gate. After he told me that I seen lots of paint flaking on the Ford Expedition aluminum lift up tailgates. I guess there is not easy way to get out of having your truck rust out in the snow belt areas unless you don't drive it very often in the winter. It's too bad they can't incorporate something else that works better in those problem areas like cab corners.

Yeah, F150's of this era definitely have the cab corner rust issue - two body shops I visited say they see a lot of it. Unless you're looking for it, you won't see it though...you need to kneel down and look up at the corners underneath...not visible standing next to the truck.

As for aluminum "not holding paint well..." I have zero issues on my F150 hood, which is aluminum. It really comes down to the prep process I think. And those are areas where the MFG's have hopefully been learning lessons! I'm sure there are trouble areas, like the Expedition tailgates mentioned...again, hopefully Ford learned some lessons in how they prep and work those areas.

No doubt the body shop guys have some challenges ahead - the men will be separated from the boys, though. The good shops will be all about learning the new techniques and right way to do things. What always gets me is the "well I've been doing this 25 years...." Yeah, those are usually the guys that have 1 year experience repeated 25 times.

Personally, I'm not going to let anyone scare me into thinking aluminum Ford trucks are going to be a big problem down the road. Fact is, no one will know until around year 2025...and by then Google won't let us drive trucks anymore; we'll drive around in bubbles that don't even make the Jetson's sounds.

To new trucks!

Old 03-22-2016, 04:41 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
I wash mine several times during the winter every year, and that has kept the rust off so far. Even my cab corners are in great shape! And yes, I've been under the truck recently to look at them. What I may do this summer is put some rubberized truck bed coating on the cab corners and parts of the frame that tend to collect the snow and salt. That will further protect everything under there.
By the way, I haven't noticed any Expeditions with paint flaking off the tailgate. I'll look for it a bit more now that you mentioned it, but I haven't seen any. That's the first I've heard of that, too.
To a future without rust, even in Pennsylvania!

Old 03-22-2016, 08:15 PM
fzrider998
Senior User
Originally Posted by Blue 2006 XL
I wash mine several times during the winter every year, and that has kept the rust off so far. Even my cab corners are in great shape! And yes, I've been under the truck recently to look at them. What I may do this summer is put some rubberized truck bed coating on the cab corners and parts of the frame that tend to collect the snow and salt. That will further protect everything under there.
By the way, I haven't noticed any Expeditions with paint flaking off the tailgate. I'll look for it a bit more now that you mentioned it, but I haven't seen any. That's the first I've heard of that, too.
To a future without rust, even in Pennsylvania!
That's fantastic! You know, you make a great point - and I am TERRIBLE at it - washing the truck! A lot of this probably would have been saved had I been better at washing it in the winter. I always get in this mindset that its pointless to wash it, its just going to get dirty within a day or two.

Keep up the great work, Blue!

Old 03-23-2016, 09:12 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks for the kind words. I won't wash it unless it gets above 40 degrees, and sometimes I get lazy and cheap and don't do it like I should. I like to take it to a self-serve booth where I can get up underneath it with the high-pressure hose. My wife thinks I'm just **** and obsessive, but I am determined to keeping this truck forever.

As for the winter washing, I would encourage you to get in the habit of doing that when you buy a new one. The body may be aluminum, but there's still a steel frame and suspension joints under there that can rot. If you can't do it yourself, then find a good full-service place that has a chassis spray. Keep that salt and road spray off the undercarriage, and out of the engine compartment! I'm starting to get it now in the engine bay, and that will get treated this year.