Crossovers Edge, Taurus X, Freestyle, MKX, Flex etc.

Ford Edge buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 05:54 PM
ol'yeller
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We were looking for a slightly used Edge Limited and found several that were nice. But, in our hunt we also looked at a 2013 Lincoln MKX which is almost the same car. My wife feel in love with it. As a kicker, it was a Lincoln Certified car which came with an extended warranty. We paid only slightly more than we would have paid for the Edge, about a grand. I ground on the Lincoln dealer for about a month but they wouldn't come down much on their price. It has the 305HP 3.7 V6 that is found in Mustangs and Edge Sports. Ours was pretty much a base model but it had more standard equipment than the Limited (like heated/cooled seats) and rode much better than most of the Edges we looked at for some reason. Now, 6 months later we have had no issues, love the car and found it to be the nicest vehicle we have ever owned. As we have had an unusually mild winter here in the Great Northwet, I can't comment on how well the AWD does in the snow. It IS awesome on our wet roads.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:25 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for the good report Ol' yeller. To be honest I get the Lincoln's confused ever since they quit using real model names! I can't keep all of the MK's straight in my head. I don't know how the salesmen do it...
Anyway I had heard that the MKX used the same motor as the Edge Sport, and got AWD as standard equipment. Did you get an extended warranty with yours, beyond what came with it as a Certified used car?
Another vehicle we'll consider is a Subaru simply because of their stellar reputation for AWD, but I'm leaning towards the Edge. I like Fords and I'm more familiar with them. It may be my wife's car, but I can still try to steer her subtly in one direction or another, can't I?

Old 03-31-2016, 05:28 PM
ol'yeller
Senior User
I did not purchase any warranty beyond the Lincoln Certified that came with the vehicle. The Lincoln certified warranty is much better than the Ford Certified warranty.

I think I saw some MKXs that were FWD so I'm not sure that AWD is standard but I could be wrong about that.

Blue, I don't know how long you've been married but for me it has been a short time, 42 years, so I am still learning. One thing I have learned is that you will regret "steering" the wife, LOL.

We previously owned a 2005 Escape Limited that we bought new. There were some things about it I didn't like but as for reliability and sure footedness in AWD it couldn't be beat. My wife loved that car. I sold it with 126,000 miles on it. Overall it was a good car. While I am a Buick guy at heart, I have never been disappointed with any Ford truck I have ever owned...and I've had a few.

'65 F100
'76 F150 SWB
'99 Mercury Mountaineer
'99 F250 SD, S/C V10
2005 Escape Limited AWD
2008 E450 Aspect Winnebago RV
2013 Lincoln MKX AWD

Old 03-31-2016, 10:21 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks for the marital advice lol. I'm still learning too at less than 4 years. We married late though as we're both in our 40's. I guess I should just let her get what she wants then huh? Lol
Actually it's my truck that's broken right now so we're not sure what we're going to do. Mine hasn't exactly been cheap the past few years either...

Old 05-25-2016, 08:57 AM
Rickyrobert
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pgh Rebel
At this point, I'm thinking Toyota is the only way to go, anymore, & of course, they're not perfect either.
Just a personal opinion, and I know a lot of really knowledgeable people would disagree with me on this, but I've never been impressed with Toyota's. Their Achilles heel has always been body rust, especially in the Camry, Corolla, and the 4-Runner.

As for the electronics in the new Fords, it's all confusing to me. I don't think I'll buy one without the extended warranty. I usually don't get extended warranties either, but these new cars with all their fancy, intuitive, features... I think it's justified.
i had a 99 camery that i put 300000 on WITH THE ORIGINAL OIL

Old 05-25-2016, 04:04 PM
Steina
CO River Rat

Hey Ricky R. - You didn't have to add ONE DROP of oil in 300,000 miles and 17 years?

Old 05-30-2016, 02:17 PM
Rickyrobert
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Steina
Hey Ricky R. - You didn't have to add ONE DROP of oil in 300,000 miles and 17 years?
Nope. I was ALOT worse with cars back then. it was a company car. I got rid of it in 03. Then i got better with engines and never made that mistake again.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:19 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Update from the op: We ended up replacing my truck this year with a used 2012 F-150 4x4. With that done it looks like we'll be running her Merc Montego for another couple years. Just as well because she keeps banging it up so I'm not buying her anything nice and new till she gets it out of her system!

Old 01-18-2017, 06:08 PM
hyspeedz
Freshman User
PGH Rebel, be sure, if it's available to you, to purchase an extended warranty, and check to see what it covers. I have 57,000 on my '13 Edge with the 3.5 v6. It's a good vehicle, but I've gone through 3 navigation SD cards, and it will not read the present one. So, the navigation system doesn't work. One day two weeks ago, the who APIM system froze up. It was 8 degrees outside, and the heater quit, the heated seats quit, and it reset our power seat positions (we have the Limited.) Because I was headed to the airport to catch a flight, I kept going. After a few minutes, I got a screen reading scheduled maintenance was being performed. It did a master reset. I took it to the dealer, and they want to keep it overnight to check it out because they think the problem is the APIM module which controls the touch screen, radio, heat/ac controls, nav unit, etc. In other words, $$$! I wish you good luck!

Old 01-18-2017, 06:27 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
I'll keep that in mind. Thanks and I wish you luck with yours. From what I gather, the electronics on these newer vehicles seem to be kinda vulnerable to extreme temperatures. I'm hearing some of the same reports on the newer trucks too, regardless of manufacture.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:04 AM
70f100longbed
Fleet Mechanic
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
My advice, stay away from the touchscreen, dont get a 4 cylinder(the transmission paired to that engine is garbage), avoid AWD if possible(the transfer case fails often it only holds 12oz of oil and right next to the exhaust), if you have to have AWD have a mechanic inspect the top of the transfer case for black fluid coming out of the vent, if fluid is present it needs a transfer case, change the transfer case fluid every 20k miles to keep it alive.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:59 PM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by 70f100longbed
My advice, stay away from the touchscreen, dont get a 4 cylinder(the transmission paired to that engine is garbage), avoid AWD if possible(the transfer case fails often it only holds 12oz of oil and right next to the exhaust), if you have to have AWD have a mechanic inspect the top of the transfer case for black fluid coming out of the vent, if fluid is present it needs a transfer case, change the transfer case fluid every 20k miles to keep it alive.
That goes for the Explorers as well. My boss had one just let go. He is now doing a 10K maintenance service on it just because we use his vehicle so often for work especially with towing a trailer.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:43 AM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
I personally don't think any of these vehicles are actually built to tow a trailer anymore. The drive-train just can't take the added stress, despite what Ford tells you

Old 09-19-2017, 01:21 PM
fatforty
Posting Guru
I just bought my wife an 07 Edge SEL Plus. It is the 3.5 V6 with all wheel drive. We got rid of the 02 Explorer and bought this. The Edge is amazing compared to the Explorer, we just took it on a 3,000 mile trip 30 days after purchase and it drove great, rides nice. A little more road noise than I like. We bought it with 111,000 miles on it and it never did anything I wasn't expecting when driving. Drove like it should, (6 speed trans takes a little getting used to after the 5 speed in the explorer) But we were up and down through the smokey mountains and all the way back to New Jersey and we got 24 MPG on the way down and 25.7 on the way back. We also have the trailering package, it will never tow a trailer but it was on it. The trailering package gives you a heavier battery than normal and is rated to tow a 2,000 pound trailer. Ours is redfire with black leather interior, and we paid $5,500 for the car. Best car I ever bought for that kind of money.

Old 09-21-2017, 04:30 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Since I started this thread I guess I should update here that we did finally replace her tired old Merc' after it wouldn't pass inspection without a few thousand dollars worth of work and that doesn't include the fact that that the trans was starting to go. She settled on a 2010 Ford Fusion SE with the 2.5 liter 4-popper. FWD but it should do her just fine. Only had just under 36k on the clock and we paid less than $9500 out the door. What's most important, she loves the car so far! We just took it on its first semi-long trip and it averaged around 30 mpg the whole time, with ample power to handle most situations. Fuel tank is on the small side, about 14 gallons. But what else do you expect from a car that was put together with spare parts taken from both the Focus and the Taurus?