1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Air suspension - rear not filling

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 02:18 AM
handyandy123
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks V8SHO! Do you need a tool or can do it with fingers alone?

Thank you for the info! I will change the solenoid, I wonder for now if I can pump it up using my mini compressor and basketball needle tip.

Originally Posted by V8SHO
handyandy123,

To remove the air line from the solenoid, push and hold the orange line retainer (the orange ring) in toward the solenoid while pulling the air line out.

Most likely the rear fill solenoid (the one under the drivers door) is defective. Testing it is simple using the instructions posted above, remove the electrical connector from the solenoid and apply battery voltage to the 12v pin and ground to the other pin and the solenoid should open and close. If the test confirms it, then replacing the solenoid will allow the rear springs to fill and you won't have to inflate it manually.

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-13-2016, 06:00 PM
Alex Carrillo
New User
Update:

Yesterday I installed the new rear fill solenoid and am very happy to update that everything works great again and have no more air ride problems! Within the first 2-3 minutes of starting the vehicle, the compressor turned on and the new rear springs fully inflated and proper ride height restored .

For future reference in case anyone has this problem in the future, I used part number G35001. I also attached a diagram found online on american air suspension website that was very helpful to me in diagnosing the problem. I found it very useful as it helped me gain better understanding of the 98-02 Ford/Lincoln air ride system. Also thanks pdqford for recommending me to test the rear fill solenoid.
They I have the same problem and I was wondering how did you remove the rear fill solenoid? The rubber lines did you just pull on them or what? Thanks.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:35 AM
V8SHO
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To remove the air line, push and hold the orange retainer ring in the direction of the solenoid and pull the air line out simultaneously.

Old 11-14-2016, 02:38 AM
Alex Carrillo
New User
To remove the air line, push and hold the orange retainer ring in the direction of the solenoid and pull the air line out simultaneously.
Thanks man. I have another question, where did you get the rear solenoid from?

Old 11-14-2016, 10:27 AM
V8SHO
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought it from rockauto, using the part number listed above g35001 listed as suspension solenoid. Ebay might be another option.

Good luck!

Old 03-11-2017, 11:00 AM
bandit2058
New User
air bags wont air up

iam kinda lost on my 2001 ford expedition 2wd.yesterday took a trip in it, the air bags went up and all was good,went shopping they compressor came on after loaded it down and started home and part way home noticed vehicle bouncing and goin nuts.the airbags had lost air,drove it on home what a ride lol.anyway the compressor will come on run for a bit like airing them up then shut off but yet bags don't go up,now it was real dark so couldn't really get under it plus on the ground,but didn't hear no air leaks why compressor is running.i would think if had air leak or bad bag like other post all say compressor would stay running like they say most do,mine doesn't.it has gave no problems at all,if it sits for awhile it will go down but airs right up.so any help would be great on this.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:15 AM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
Take a look at the height sensor in the driver's front wheel well and make sure both ends are attached. They use a ball/socket and sometimes they so worn they pop off.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:28 AM
bandit2058
New User
????

my expedition is 2wd not 4wd.thanks though for response

Old 03-11-2017, 11:38 AM
alloro
Originally Posted by bandit2058
my expedition is 2wd not 4wd.thanks though for response
Okay, so what does that have to do with the air suspension...

Old 03-11-2017, 01:55 PM
bandit2058
New User
from what ive been told and know only the air ride ones have height sensor and a 4wd will have sensor in front where like mine being 2wd sensor only on back axle.iam not saying iam right that is why iam asking,when look up ride height sensor for mine shows only on rear by ford parts page.i need to know if that is it and its on rear axle and if it will let compressor come on and go off without airing bags?thanks

Old 03-12-2017, 09:35 PM
bandit2058
New User
ok iam still trying to figure this out on my expedition.a update the ckc light does not come on,and compressor runs for a bit then shuts off but airbags don't go up?iam sure there is no leak cause compressor would run all the time,i just need some ideas on what to look for,any help would be great thanks

Old 03-13-2017, 11:29 AM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
from what ive been told and know only the air ride ones have height sensor and a 4wd will have sensor in front where like mine being 2wd sensor only on back axle.iam not saying iam right that is why iam asking,when look up ride height sensor for mine shows only on rear by ford parts page.i need to know if that is it and its on rear axle and if it will let compressor come on and go off without airing bags?thanks
4WAS (four wheel air suspension) will have front and rear height sensors.
RWAS (rear wheel air suspension) will have a rear height sensor.

At some point I believe the air suspension module got smart enough that it would turn off the air compressor after a time to keep the compressor and relay from over heating.

As Alloro indicated, you need to get under there and determine if your height sensor linkage became disconnected, or if you have a leak someplace in the system. Soapy water in a spritz bottle helps.

Let us know what you find.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:29 AM
alloro
compressor runs for a bit then shuts off but airbags don't go up?iam sure there is no leak cause compressor would run all the time
The compressor should run until the height sensor is satisfied. Since the compressor is shutting down it thinks it has reached the correct height, or the compressor relay is overheating and prematurely shutting down on it's own.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:35 AM
swivel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I just disconnect?

My 98 F250 has the sir suspension factory option. I use the truck once a month to go to the dump. One rear air bag is non functional, extruded out of the coil spring etc. But before it went bad, the system had leaks etc. Will it just be a normal F250 if I pull the compressor fuse and not use the air suspension?

Old 10-12-2018, 11:23 AM
alloro
Originally Posted by swivel
Will it just be a normal F250 if I pull the compressor fuse and not use the air suspension?
No, the suspension will eventually complete deflate and the frame will drop down onto the bump stops leaving you with no suspension at all.

Quick Reply: Air suspension - rear not filling