Volt Meter - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Volt Meter

Old 03-08-2016, 05:01 PM
instig8r63
Postmaster
instig8r63 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.instig8r63 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Volt Meter

Notice that I didn't say, "ammeter?"
Because I had this converted.
I'm going to do a 3G conversion on my truck and I want a functioning stock volt meter. Pretty cool, eh?

Center nut cannot touch ground. (Gauge tech misspelled.)

Old 03-08-2016, 05:05 PM
MIKES 68 F100
Postmaster
MIKES 68 F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.MIKES 68 F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.MIKES 68 F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.
auggh what a misspell , good thing you caught it or BZZZZT

Old 03-08-2016, 05:16 PM
instig8r63
Postmaster
instig8r63 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.instig8r63 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by MIKES 68 F100 View Post
auggh what a misspell , good thing you caught it or BZZZZT
The guy went over it with me when I picked it up. There was a business card bolted to the back of the gauge with the correct spelling.

The business is North Hollywood Speedometer, in case anyone is interested. Nice bunch of guys that do quality gauge work---> North Hollywood Speedometer | NH Speedometer

Old 03-08-2016, 05:33 PM
ultraranger
Post Fiend
ultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud of
That's pretty neat. It would be even nicer if they could put graduations on the stock style gauges to know exactly what they are reading.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:59 PM
instig8r63
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ultraranger View Post
That's pretty neat. It would be even nicer if they could put graduations on the stock style gauges to know exactly what they are reading.
They can and will. I ordered mine with "no art." They will build it however you like.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:38 PM
gangstakr
Postmaster
gangstakr has much to be proud ofgangstakr has much to be proud ofgangstakr has much to be proud ofgangstakr has much to be proud ofgangstakr has much to be proud ofgangstakr has much to be proud ofgangstakr has much to be proud ofgangstakr has much to be proud ofgangstakr has much to be proud ofgangstakr has much to be proud of
That's pretty cool Bobby.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:28 PM
instig8r63
Postmaster
Originally Posted by gangstakr View Post
That's pretty cool Bobby.
Thanks, Robert.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:16 AM
GaryKip
Postmaster
GaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to behold
Great idea. I would add a nylon washer on those studs. Paper/cardboard wears through

Old 03-09-2016, 01:51 PM
instig8r63
Postmaster
Jeez, I'm looking at wiring diagrams until I have jackpot eyes...
It looks like I can clip the wires off of the instrument cluster plug for the old ammeter and tie them together and "T" the positive side of the "new" volt meter in. Then just connect the other clipped end from the cluster plug to ground. It depends on what I see on the circuit board once I get the cluster out.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:01 PM
68murc
Elder User
68murc has a great reputation on FTE.68murc has a great reputation on FTE.68murc has a great reputation on FTE.68murc has a great reputation on FTE.68murc has a great reputation on FTE.
Nice idea Bobby! Did you end up getting your truck painted yet?

I'm nursing a busted ankle, so I will likely end up being a PITA on here!

Old 03-09-2016, 02:16 PM
instig8r63
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 68murc View Post
Nice idea Bobby! Did you end up getting your truck painted yet?

I'm nursing a busted ankle, so I will likely end up being a PITA on here!
No, I'm getting the bed blasted on 3/20 and then the bodywork begins.

Busted ankle sucks. I know how you feel, I broke my right elbow last June

Old 03-09-2016, 02:56 PM
instig8r63
Postmaster
So it looks like the #1 wire (yellow) on the left side from the top of the instrument cluster plug is going to be the positive side of the volt meter. I will clip the #2 wire (red) on the right side from the top, about an inch or two from the plug and splice the harness end into the yellow wire (this will connect the two original ammeter wires.)
I will connect the snipped plug end of the red wire to ground. This should make the volt gauge function.
I will test everything with a test light and DVOM before making any connections (in case I'm squirrely in my thought process.)

If this is correct, I should be able to connect the grn/red wire of the original external regulator plug to the "I" terminal wire on the new 3G alternator for switched power.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:03 PM
JEFFFAFA
Post Fiend
JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by instig8r63 View Post
So it looks like the #1 wire (yellow) on the left side from the top of the instrument cluster plug is going to be the positive side of the volt meter. I will clip the #2 wire (red) on the right side from the top, about an inch or two from the plug and splice the harness end into the yellow wire (this will connect the two original ammeter wires.)
I will connect the snipped plug end of the red wire to ground. This should make the volt gauge function.
I will test everything with a test light and DVOM before making any connections (in case I'm squirrely in my thought process.)

If this is correct, I should be able to connect the grn/red wire of the original external regulator plug to the "I" terminal wire on the new 3G alternator for switched power.
Way cool Bobby. I figure you're prolly right but I sure am not used to reading "connect red wire to ground".

Old 03-09-2016, 03:07 PM
instig8r63
Postmaster
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA View Post
Way cool Bobby. I figure you're prolly right but I sure am not used to reading "connect red wire to ground".
Yeah, I know, it goes against everything.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:16 PM
JEFFFAFA
Post Fiend
JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by instig8r63 View Post
Yeah, I know, it goes against everything.
You ought to attach a tag to it reading "YES, to ground".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Volt Meter

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.