Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Brake upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 12:28 PM
FSJ-EARL
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brake upgrade questions

Time to do some brake upgrades. 2002 F350 CC LB. I tow a Jeep Cherokee (XJ) usually two or three times a month and then use the truck for my DD. I would like to increase my braking ability. I have seen numerous threads about brake upgrades, but nothing really helpful. I don't need top of the line crazy expensive since I am only towing about 6 or 7K and not a big trailer or 5th wheel. I am seeing EBS and Powerstop as all pretty good options. I know that RiffRaff does EBS but they are almost twice the price of the Powerstop. Thoughts? First hand experience? True stories, etc. Thanks in advance!

Old 03-08-2016, 12:40 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
2 years ago I bought a set of cross drilled and slotted rotors from a store on Ebay that I have done business with for quite some time. I put HAWK LTS pads on the front and the ceramic pads on the rear that the rotors came with.

Here is a link to the front rotors only.

Front Performance Drilled and Slotted Brake Rotors Excursion F250 F350 4WD 4x4 | eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-REAR-D...tWipmY&vxp=mtr

I have used these rotors/pads for over 10K miles towing a 30 ft travel trailer through, over and around the mountains across the country including the Rocky Mountains. They did, have and are performing great.

Brakes are nearly as bad as oil choice when it comes to asking for advice. It really comes down to what you want to run and what you trust.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:32 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
1. Flush your entire fluid system with some new DOT4 fluid.
2. Replace your aging soft brake lines with stainless braided lines.
3. Add higher end pads.
4. Use the 3000°F rated Permatex ceramic brake lubricant on your slide pins.
5. Use good rotors (there are mixed reviews on the slotted cryo rotors, and mostly bad reviews on the drilled rotors for our trucks. Sous's experience is an exception (and that certainly does not mean that he is wrong, either).

Old 03-08-2016, 01:35 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
I did a complete Powerstop kit. Drilled and slotted rotors front and rear, new Z36 extreme truck&tow ceramic pads, and for reman powder coated calipers(with brackets).
Powerstop Part# KC1906A-36

I bought them from AutoAnything, and their SKU# is 3994286
RockAuto should also carry it. Whether or not AutoAnything is currently having a sale and/or you can find a discount code, will determine which is cheaper.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:47 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
Originally Posted by F250_
1. Flush your entire fluid system with some new DOT4 fluid.
Yep. Good idea. Just don't accidentally grag DOT5. Its silicone based and will cause a whole lot of problems.

2. Replace your aging soft brake lines with stainless braided lines.
That's a good idea, but pretty expensive. Even new stock-style replacements will help. Now is the time to do it, so you only have to bleed everything once.
3. Add higher end pads.
4. Use the 3000°F rated Permatex ceramic brake lubricant on your slide pins.
Agreed. High quality lube is something is far to often overlooked, even by many "real" mechanics. I would add, also put a bit on the caliper slide surface (where the pads ride on the stainless guides)

5. Use good rotors (there are mixed reviews on the slotted cryo rotors, and mostly bad reviews on the drilled rotors for our trucks. Sous's experience is an exception (and that certainly does not mean that he is wrong, either).
I have slotted Brembos on my Ranger, and I loved them. I did slotted rotors on the front of my '98 Buick Century also. Those were from R1 Concepts. Again, huge improvement in braking performance. I couldn't find any reasonably priced slotted only rotors for the F250, so I went with the drilled and slotted kit from Powerstop. Again, I am happy. Slotted rotors do tend to have a distinctive "growl" under heavy braking though. It is due to the slots riding over the pad surface, and scraping it for a fresh surface. It helps to prevent glazing/fade. Some people may not like it. It is also a bit harder on pads. There is also debate as to whether or not drilled and/or slotted rotors can be "turned" later to extend their life. From what I understand, they CAN be, but most shops won't because it can chip or damage the cutting teeth on their brake lathe.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:29 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
The last time I checked, the prices on stainless braided brake lines were coming down a good bit.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:23 PM
johnsps250
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did all the above mentioned including the Powerstop complete kit from auto anything. The braided steel lines from Crown Performance: Stainless Steel Brake Lines - Braided Hoses for Cars, Trucks & SUV Call them and ask for a 5 piece kit to include the rear axle to caliper hoses, they aren't listed online but they have them.
I have owned my 2001 since 2004 and the brakes have never felt better than they do now. This was the second brake upgrade I have done. The first was the cyro power slots with LTS green pads. I don't recommend them, mine warped.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:33 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
I have the Powerstop pads and rotors front and rear, work great no issues. Good for the price.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:49 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I did powerstop pads and cryo rotors on my truck. Did the yellowstuff EBS pads and stock rotors on the wife's truck with 35's and a 4" lift. They both stop about the same.

After a slide pin issue from not driving too much, she now has SSBC calipers and pads and it stops MUCH better with no slide pin worries. Not exactly a cheap route, but not the same worries about low mileage and slide pins seizing up.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:55 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went with EBS yellow pads & EBS slotted & drilled roters from RiffRaff,not cheap but happy with the improvement over what I think PO had Les Schwabs install.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:48 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
i use napa premium rotors, and the napa extreme duty pads. never had any problems stopping, even with 2 ton of ice melt in the bed.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:35 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
There is no better stopping power than EBC Yellowstuff pads. I run lifetime warranty (Bosch) rotors. There is no advantage from cross-drilled, slotted or otherwise molested rotors.

Also, check slide pins regularly and lube as needed. I prefer dielectric grease.

SS brake hoses will firm up the pedal and should last forever, but don't necessarily improve braking power.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:14 AM
EcoboostKev
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I also went with the Powerstop brakes kit with drilled and slotted rotors. I tow a 8000lb trailer and they work great! The best price I found was from Jegs.

Shopping Cart - Jegs High Performance

Old 03-13-2016, 10:41 PM
IowanStraight6
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel brakes are like beer everyone has there own brand they enjoy and trust (like not ending up on the toilet the next morning 10 times). I recommend and like brakes from brakeperformance.com I use the dimpled and slotted and have a front pair on the 96 and a rear pair on the 2001. I will be ordering a pair for the front of the 2001 tomorrow due to the fact I had pistons seize on the left front caliper and didn't catch it till they were metal on metal. I guess what officially sold me was last year I had a brake hose fail on the right rear a hour from home when I got home the rooter was glowing orange and it never warpped.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:15 AM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by IowanStraight6
I feel brakes are like beer everyone has there own brand they enjoy and trust (like not ending up on the toilet the next morning 10 times). I recommend and like brakes from brakeperformance.com I use the dimpled and slotted and have a front pair on the 96 and a rear pair on the 2001. I will be ordering a pair for the front of the 2001 tomorrow due to the fact I had pistons seize on the left front caliper and didn't catch it till they were metal on metal. I guess what officially sold me was last year I had a brake hose fail on the right rear a hour from home when I got home the rooter was glowing orange and it never warpped.
I second this, been running their dimpled and slotted rotors and their pads on the front for over a year, not one issue at all. Plan on changing out the rears when I need to /get round to it. Plus they have a great warranty on their rotors.

Quick Reply: Brake upgrade questions