Sponsored by: Moser

Fordguy2100's Hoosier build thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 08:07 PM
fordguy2100
Cargo Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
If you told them to "fix what is broken" and they just cut/grind the backing plate and fixed the wheel bearing issue and put THAT brake shoe back on...I would be super PO'ed.

I understand if they probably could not get the backing plate, but come on man a new set of brake shoes...it not rocket science.

I would call that place and some one would at least get a healthy **** chewing...on principal of the matter. At least you might feel better, I am sure no apology or money back. But you will have spoken your mind.

Maybe I am a old just an grouch?
Yeah no issues with them cutting the backing plate so it worked but at least let me know you cut into a part on my truck... and yeah I specifically said look over everything on the front end cz I don't want any more surprises driving home lol... just makes me angry someone could do that to a person

Originally Posted by SlikWillie
If the mechanic is ASE certified, he would know that those brakes were no good and because of his cert, he should have replaced them. If you are ASE Brakes certified, you are actually legally bound to ensure that not only the customer vehicle is safe to drive but also ensuring the safety of others on the road around said vehicle. In this situation, this downgrades the value of ASE.
But if the mechanic was not ASE certified, he's just a jackass that should never touch a wrench again. If you do call the shop, be sure to mention all this.
The only reason I know this is because in April 2001 I took ASE A1-A8 tests and passed only A4-A7. A5 is the brakes system. When I received my certs, the ASE representative for the state of OK told me this. Being 18yo and having someone tell you that you will go to jail if I fudge up someones brakes and they die from it, is something you remember for the rest of your life. Those certs have since expired (they only last 3 years before you have to take the tests again) and I now feel a little more comfortable about working on brakes.
Interesting... that makes me feel a little bit more justified in calling and b*tching lol... Monday they will regret answering the phone LOL place is located in Effingham, IL... all I think about is "F that place" ever since the accident lol

Originally Posted by fe390pc
Here is what I have ready to ship. I will send you an email with details.

I have taken the wasted shoes off but all the hardware will be included.
Awesome man! I'm glad we were able to work something out... seriously love this forum and how great everybody is. I feel like the 73-79 section truly wants to see every one succeed in building/maintaining their dentside!

Way better than places like 4x4pirate where they flame you if you're not a pro off-roader with a one of a kind self built purpose built off road machine LOL

Old 02-09-2018, 08:44 PM
fordguy2100
Cargo Master
Welp didn't realize it was supposed to warm up for one day so I missed my chance to work on the engine today, got up to 51! Gunna be 20s-30s next few weeks so hopefully I can get a decent sunny day and get the engine back together. Brakes will move forward once I get parts from fe390pc! Thanks again man!

Old 02-12-2018, 09:29 PM
fordguy2100
Cargo Master
Dry ice blasting for rims and timing cover were a bit steep at the moment. Maybe this summer for the rims. Anyway took some aircraft remover to the timing cover and holy smokes that stuff works AMAZING. It's cleaned up, I have all gaskets and stuff just waiting on a decent weather day to get truck back together! Fe390pc and I made a deal so brakes will be a go once I get the backing plate!

Also just realized I never took any pics of the cleaned up timing cover, will do tomorrow and post them up; seriously dying to have this truck purring again.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:55 PM
fordguy2100
Cargo Master
Today wasn't the greatest day to work on the truck but it hit 52 so I figured why not. Spend some time with my first love. Just kidding, wife was working so I was bored and decided to start gettin things ready to work on this weekend. Well before ya know it I have the front main seal installed, the right stuff bought and its just misting now no more rain... so lets dive in! First I have to say I HATE dealing with gaskets and gasket maker and torquing bolts in weird places while dealing with gaskets and gasket maker...HATE. I always feel like I am doing something wrong or forgetting something or I am taking too long.

Anyway I got the timing cover bolted in and torqued down. (Thought i stripped another bolt on the engine pan side but false alarm lol) Also put the vibration dampner back on and even got the fuel pump bolted and torqued.... Helicoil held up to the torque and all is right with the world again! Well if nothing leaks lol. It is MUCH easier to deal with the fuel pump while the water pump and power steering assist pump are off; took advantage of the free space so I wouldn't mess up the fuel pump bolts again. Anyway, pics show where I am at currently. Hoping to have the water pump and other pulley items back on the car tomorrow or Friday. Then I can give it another start and circle back to my original problem of the truck not running; who knows maybe I will get lucky and all of this will somehow fix my problem.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:32 PM
fordguy2100
Cargo Master
Well good news is I figured out what those two random wires went to! One was for my oil gauge, plugs in to the top of the oil pump, and the other goes to my temp sender which I dont have at the moment as I never took it off the old one. Didn't know what it was and figured it was yet another thing my truck didnt have. Luckily as I stated earlier, I have a box of all the things I took off so I will be putting it back on. The temp gauge never worked and now I know why. Oil pressure did work so I am guessing at some point I knocked off the oil gauge wire... its pretty loose so it would be easy to do. Anyway glad to have that figure out.

Now if you beared with me through that long post (dang I was always told I talk to much...guess that same goes for typing lol) I have yet another electrical wire I do not know where it goes or what its for. It has been hanging down past the crossmember for quite some time i believe. Pictures with the plug circled (rather its a square cz thats what my mac does lol) Any insight would be great thanks!

Old 02-16-2018, 06:48 PM
fordguy2100
Cargo Master
See what did I tell you, updates would come more often as I make good progress lol ... and clearly I talk to much

I got the water pump on today along with the alternator, power steering pump, belts, and fan. Also was able to torque down the harmonic balancer bolt... using the old notched 2x4 and floor jack trick. 90 ft/lbs seemed a bit light but its what the Haynes manual suggested. Also noticed I have quite a few chipped teeth on the flywheel. Another problem for another day. Attached pics show how she sits now, looking pretty good.

If anyone has a keen eye you may have noticed some more blue paint missing from the intake manifold and around the distributor. I hate to admit it but while putting the fuel pump back on I accidentally pumped it once..maybe half a time and my hoses are still connected so it was kind enough to spray all over the intake. This thing has taken a beating with gas as I have had several issues with fuel leaks. Surprisingly the primer has held on fantastic but the paint bubbles up and slides right off. It is frustrating seeing that work disappear but I can rest a bit knowing the primer is doing its job. Once the rust is fixed I plan to turn this into a frame off resto anyway so everything will be getting a do over.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:17 AM
JessyJ
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That loose plug looks a lot like the 1 that goes to the washer resovoir.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:33 PM
fordguy2100
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by JessyJ
That loose plug looks a lot like the 1 that goes to the washer resovoir.
No that one I have unplugged and tied up next to it. This one has been unplugged since before I took ownership so trying to rack my brains on what worked and didn't lol

Old 02-17-2018, 05:43 PM
fe390pc
Logistics Pro
Received 189 Likes on 173 Posts
That plug goes to the Transmission for the backup lights. Also the check is still in the mail, was supposed to be delivered yesterday and it is still in IL. I got the parts boxed up and addressed. I may get them mailed Tuesday even though I don't have the check yet so you can get the brakes done.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:18 PM
fordguy2100
Cargo Master
That plug goes to the Transmission for the backup lights. Also the check is still in the mail, was supposed to be delivered yesterday and it is still in IL. I got the parts boxed up and addressed. I may get them mailed Tuesday even though I don't have the check yet so you can get the brakes done.
Sorry! Usps said two days.. no wonder they are dying as a Business lol no worries if you want to wait until you get it.

And thanks I'll have to check around on my transmission for a missing plug

Old 02-21-2018, 03:11 PM
fe390pc
Logistics Pro
Box was sent today, sorry for the delay. Spent the afternoon and night at the ER. Check came today and ran out for a minute and sent the boxes. Emailed you the tracking numbers and USPS stated Friday 2/23 as the delivery date. Good luck with the project!

Old 02-21-2018, 06:57 PM
fordguy2100
Cargo Master
Box was sent today, sorry for the delay. Spent the afternoon and night at the ER. Check came today and ran out for a minute and sent the boxes. Emailed you the tracking numbers and USPS stated Friday 2/23 as the delivery date. Good luck with the project!
No worries man, hasn't been good weather for wrenching anyway. Thanks again for the parts! Hope everything is alright with ya!

Old 02-21-2018, 07:01 PM
fe390pc
Logistics Pro
Improving is what I am doing. Yesterday and today 80 degrees and no work at all. Now the next 4 days rain, still no work on the truck. I hope to be somewhat human by Monday!

Old 02-22-2018, 02:09 PM
fordguy2100
Cargo Master
Rain let up for a few minutes so I got the oil pan drain plug back in and also cut my lower radiator hose a little shorter as I noticed it was creased. Filtered and poured back in my old (new coolant) coolant. Started pouring the oil back in and noticed my dipstick tube isn't attached to the holder anymore. So deciding on the best way to fix it again.

That also brought my attention to the fact my rear two bolts on the exhaust manifold are broken but again problem for another day lol

Old 02-23-2018, 06:30 AM
fordguy2100
Cargo Master
Well usps keeps changing the time the boxes left MD so I doubt they will get here today. So now we know envelopes and boxes cannot go from MD to IN or vice versa in 2 days via usps. Yet amazon doesn't have a problem doing CA to IN in two days lol

Quick Reply: Fordguy2100's Hoosier build thread