1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Extra info on odometer gauge (like mpg, remaining fuel, etc)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 03:59 PM
jmo1112
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extra info on odometer gauge (like mpg, remaining fuel, etc)?

Hi. Did Ford ever make an instrument cluster that has basically driver information that you can scroll through? I can't think of what Ford calls it, but Chevy calls it the Driver Information Center. Instead of your odometer having just mileage and trip mileage, it would have mpg, remaining fuel, among other info. If they did make this, could it be swapped into a 2004 E350? And if a van never had it, are there other vehicles like an F150 that could swap clusters?

Thanks.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:21 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
I've repaired and swapped different types clusters into the E-Series and sadly can pretty much say no there's no such device as you're seeking.

Generically what you're asking about I'd call and "information center" which is far more micro-processor based than even the later E-Series clusters. As a system so much of its readings are obtained from the vehicle's wiring; engine, chassis, transmission, emissions, etc.

I'm not personally aware of what's available with "smart phones" or tablets that read and report in real time vehicle conditions via Bluetooth signals from a dongle installed in the OBD-II port. Also, a device called ScanGauge seems to be another PDI-programmable many use and configure to read certain parameters the normal instrument cluster doesn't address.

HTH

Old 03-05-2016, 07:30 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JWA
I've repaired and swapped different types clusters into the E-Series and sadly can pretty much say no there's no such device as you're seeking.

Generically what you're asking about I'd call and "information center" which is far more micro-processor based than even the later E-Series clusters. As a system so much of its readings are obtained from the vehicle's wiring; engine, chassis, transmission, emissions, etc.

I'm not personally aware of what's available with "smart phones" or tablets that read and report in real time vehicle conditions via Bluetooth signals from a dongle installed in the OBD-II port. Also, a device called ScanGauge seems to be another PDI-programmable many use and configure to read certain parameters the normal instrument cluster doesn't address.

HTH
JW is right. My son got one of those devices that plug in the OBD port and he can select any number of things to displace (and record). He showed it to me on his Expedition but he also runs it on his Ducati racebike. There are endless programs that will digest the data, produce charts, and such. Or, you can just mount the smartphone/tablet on the dash as an extra instrument readout.

Some of the car insurance companies offer a similar device to track your driving habits claiming to provide the customer with "better" insurance rates. jim

Old 03-05-2016, 08:28 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Originally Posted by jimandnena

Some of the car insurance companies offer a similar device to track your driving habits claiming to provide the customer with "better" insurance rates. jim

Thank ya Jim!

One downside to those insurance company trackers is the factors they use determining your rates are so heavily skewed towards increases rather than significant reductions.

Things like "panic braking" regardless the circumstances prior to that event are suggestions the driver was exceeding the posted speed limit or driving too fast for conditions signifying a high risk potential. No way to show or prove hard braking was due some other moron causing sharing the roads.

Incidentally ECM's retain extensive info insurance companies obtain to determine if one or more vehicles in a wreck could be made responsible for the whole event, reducing or eliminating their liability exposure. Much like aircraft "black boxes" there's a lot of data inside the ECM, most of it surviving even horrible crashes.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:49 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Originally Posted by JWA
Thank ya Jim!

One downside to those insurance company trackers is the factors they use determining your rates are so heavily skewed towards increases rather than significant reductions.

Things like "panic braking" regardless the circumstances prior to that event are suggestions the driver was exceeding the posted speed limit or driving too fast for conditions signifying a high risk potential. No way to show or prove hard braking was due some other moron causing sharing the roads.

Incidentally ECM's retain extensive info insurance companies obtain to determine if one or more vehicles in a wreck could be made responsible for the whole event, reducing or eliminating their liability exposure. Much like aircraft "black boxes" there's a lot of data inside the ECM, most of it surviving even horrible crashes.
The insurance advertising said "better" rates. I think they were talking about better for them! hahaha jim

Old 03-05-2016, 09:40 AM
jmo1112
Mountain Pass
Thanks for the info, guys. I didn't know those things existed to use with your phone. I just swapped my cluster, wheel, and clock spring in my Trailblazer so that I now have an information center and steering wheel controls, and it got me wondering if I could do it for the van. Guess I should look into the phone thing. But certainly not one from the insurance company! Haha

Old 03-06-2016, 10:06 PM
tx2sturgis
Elder User
Thumbs up message center

My 2009 E-250 has the Driver Message Center, I can scroll thru remaining miles to empty, oil life, average mpg, A and B trip meters, brake system status, (diagnostic trouble codes if any) and a few other pieces of information I cant recall right now.

I also installed (plugged it in!) a ScanGauge 2, it displays all kinds of information and you can program it for even more if you have the right parameters.

It shows things like water temp in degrees, rpm, instant and average mpg, miles to empty, transmission temperature, system voltage, intake air temp, outside air temp, cost per mile, total cost of fuel since engine start, ignition timing, trouble codes, horsepower, engine loading, etc etc etc. Four items can be displayed at a time, and you can scroll thru all the other information.

Of course, it depends on the sensors installed on the vehicle, but there is a second port for adding a few external sensors such as exhaust temp or other readings that might be of interest.

I believe these will work on any OBD2 vehicle since 1996, and they are about $150 or so at Autozone or on Amazon.

There are a LOT of other products and other options, but this is the one I use...I dont need all the smartphone data...just real time info while driving.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:24 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Yep, Brian is right. I think the change happened around '08, but the newer E-vans have an information center. Here's a photo from a '14:

I don't think this is possible to retrofit to an older model van though. I believe the switch to the information center happened around the same time as the switch to CAN bus. I don't think it's possible to get that cluster to talk with the PCM on an older van.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:17 AM
Walt Bowers
New User
I have a '04 E-150 5.4L I just got an Ultra Gauge MX - I selected Ford programming when I purchased it, and it came preprogrammed for Transmission temp, and a few other things I'll probably never use like torque converter RPM, torque converter torque. It's also a OBDII device. - it's on sale at UltraGauge MX 1.3 [UltraGauge_MX_1.3] - $79.95 : UltraGauge, OBD II Scan Tool & Information Center.

It will display Instantaneous and AVG MPG, coolant temp, simular to a smart phone or scangauge. but its only $80. I got it mainly to monitor transmission temp for towing, and monitor MPG's to improve our driving habits.