1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

1969 F250 Ranger Camper Special

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 05:19 PM
Absolute
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1969 F250 Ranger Camper Special

Hey guys. Friend had this 69 F250 Ranger Camper Special sitting in his yard and said I could have it if I got it out of there. Looked it over and its in great shape body and interior, and even frame etc. Has a 360 auto, motor needs rebuild, tranny too. The paint has patina and is shot, but there are no dents, all the chrome and reflectors and markings are all there, and in mint shape, not one scratch. The bed and tailgate are also mint, in fact the paint in the bed is better than the truck. No dents at all in bed. All glass is good, doors close smooth and nice, and the interior is mint except for the carpet. Floor is mint. It even has a sears air conditioner right in the middle, what a beast. Lol. I took it because it looks like an easy project, but to be honest. I havn't a clue what I should do with it. I saw that the chrome alone on the internet is huge bucks, so it has a lot of value as it sits. Apparently the bed and tailgate are tough to get too. Not sure if I should do a stock rebuild, low hot rod, 4x4 bad boy, or just sell it for some good cash, or part it out???? Are these things worth anything to restore. Its a darn cool looking truck, kinda thinking of doing it up in some fashion. I'm a bit of a diesel guy and expert. I like building those trucks. This would be a first if I did it. What do you guys think. What would you do with it?

Old 03-03-2016, 05:23 PM
whomrig
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds cool to me, does it run and drive?

Old 03-03-2016, 05:27 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
If the truck is straight, I definitely wouldn't part it out.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:38 PM
Absolute
Elder User
Motor sat with valve covers off, but hood on. So its rusty looking, but complete, and no its not running. Good rebuilder though if I wanted. Tranny is there, don't have a clue what it is or if its good. Motor and tranny were working when he parked it, but now, who knows. IF, I did something with them, I would completely rebuild anyway. The rest of the truck is no crap mint. Except paint is totally oxidized, and rust is starting but I can rub it off with my hand. Not one dent scratch or hole anywere, and all the chrome, reflectors, grill, interior panels and bench are all in fantastic shape. Chrome just needs waxing, no blemishes at all. I would still remove all and restore everything right down to metal. Just not sure if It worth it. I know the diesel motors I make, and the trucks I do are worth lots, but whats an old ford worth??? See these tv shows doing nice builds, never see a ford on there?? Why is that? Its a cool looking truck, as I stated, I have some ideas for it. Just not sure what the best root to take is. Usually stock is the best bang for your buck, but I'm more fun than that. Need some Ideas. Hit me guys, what would you do with it?

Old 03-03-2016, 06:08 PM
sandman2102
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock outside upgrade on engine/tranny(AOD), and interior sounds.....that's what i would do. If its straight and rust free, a nice two tone paint job and off to work you go.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:20 PM
Absolute
Elder User
Originally Posted by sandman2102
Stock outside upgrade on engine/tranny(AOD), and interior sounds.....that's what i would do. If its straight and rust free, a nice two tone paint job and off to work you go.
Yup, kinda the way I was leaning. Although I have all the 4x4 stuff sitting in my shop if I went that way. But I feel it has more value stock looking and modern power plant and running gear. Lowered, and ya, two tone.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:29 AM
Absolute
Elder User
Ok, been doing some research on my options with this truck. Need some input. Guy that gave it to me said he was going with all modern inside, vintage outside, like most seem to be directing me too. He told me that I can buy a 2004 or newer Crown Victoria, and with little fabrication its a darn near bolt in engine, tranny, complete disc brake and suspension, and rear axle, disc brakes etc. So basically the entire modern running gear and motor, for anywhere from 1500 to 5000 bucks. Is this true??? If it is I'm thinking an ex cop car with all the hot chip and stuff they did to them??? THis would be the deciding factor since its so cost effective! If its true.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:55 AM
Coastal68
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Bumpsides aren't worth much on the market - too plentiful, not really all that old. BUT... if you like the truck and enjoy driving it it has worth beyond its market value.

It sounds like it just needs paint and a fresh engine and you're cruising. Seems like a no-brainer for an experienced mechanic like you.

CV swap on a 250? Nah. Just drive the thing and enjoy it for what it is.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:06 AM
Absolute
Elder User
Originally Posted by Coastal68
Bumpsides aren't worth much on the market - too plentiful, not really all that old. BUT... if you like the truck and enjoy driving it it has worth beyond its market value.

It sounds like it just needs paint and a fresh engine and you're cruising. Seems like a no-brainer for an experienced mechanic like you.

CV swap on a 250? Nah. Just drive the thing and enjoy it for what it is.
New to this truck. Just learning. Whats a bump side? Is that the tool box on the passenger side? Not sure what that is. And, are you saying the CV swap doesn't work? Or works but not your preference. I'm totally into modern fuel injection and running gear, and vintage look. So if it works its a no brainer to get a donor and freshen it up. I can get one for less than a rebuild on the 360. But only if it works. If I have to go to fabrication town, then I might as well get a hotter donor like a mustang or something.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:09 AM
Coastal68
Fleet Mechanic
Bumpside is the nickname for the fifth gen F series trucks (1967-1972).

Yes, that's a tool box. They come in handy.

Others with more experience will know more about the feasibility of a CV swap in a 250 (chassis cross section is larger), but even on a 100 there is some cutting and welding involved. There are several CV build threads and one involving a Mustang on this forum you could check out to get an idea of what's what.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-vic-swap.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ld-thread.html

Old 03-04-2016, 11:48 AM
Absolute
Elder User
Ok, thanks for the links. The CV is a fit with some fab work. But nothing too extensive. SO front end and motor are covered. What would you recommend for the rear set up? Going to keep leafs since the fab work to change is real extensive as noted in the mustang conversion.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:40 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by Absolute
Ok, thanks for the links. The CV is a fit with some fab work. But nothing too extensive. SO front end and motor are covered. What would you recommend for the rear set up? Going to keep leafs since the fab work to change is real extensive as noted in the mustang conversion.
You would be turning a 3/4 ton truck in to a 1/2 ton and 5 lug wheels. And it sounds like you're itching to use your 4X4 stuff. To a 4X2 frame. While just about anything is feasible to a welder, IMHO you're starting with the wrong rig.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:10 PM
Coastal68
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
While just about anything is feasible to a welder, IMHO you're starting with the wrong rig.
I think Jeff is right.

Since it's free, you could just fluff and buff the CS, sell it and get yourself an F-100 to hot rod the way you want it.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:21 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Coastal68
I think Jeff is right.

Since it's free, you could just fluff and buff the CS, sell it and get yourself an F-100 to hot rod the way you want it.
That's exactly what I would do. On a side note, Coastal68 you need to add a post, you devil. Lol

Old 03-06-2016, 08:29 PM
Absolute
Elder User
I didn't realize there was much difference between the 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive. I thought axle and transmission would be the main difference, the rest looked pretty easy to transfer over with some welding. About the same as the CV swap as far as fab work from what I saw. But if the frame is different, that's a different story. Meaning the 2 wheel is built less stout than the 4 wheel, which seems pretty retarted to me. Why would they do that??? My 350 4 wheel is the same as the 2 wheel except the axle tranny set up. SO why did ford make two frames??? Any way, the 4x4 is only considered because its basically free since its just sitting there, and its a bad propane vehicle. Any other route and I have to blow some cash on donor vehicles. SO that's the only reason. Also, its a 460, so it would be like parking a semi truck in my car port if you know what I mean. Could it handle that motor?

Quick Reply: 1969 F250 Ranger Camper Special