Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southwest Region > Oklahoma Chapter
Reload this Page >

The American Indian Cultural Center and Museum Opening 2017!

Notices
Oklahoma Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

The American Indian Cultural Center and Museum Opening 2017!

Old 03-01-2016, 05:20 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
FORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputation
Thumbs up The American Indian Cultural Center and Museum Opening 2017!

Museum Opening 2017

Once The American Indian Cultural Center and Museum is completed it will be an epic indoor/outdoor adventure for the entire family! Experience one-of-a-kind exhibits, participate in hands-on educational programs, hear first-hand accounts in the theaters and watch cultural demonstrations celebrating the collective histories and contemporary cultural expressions of Oklahoma’s original peoples.

Explore the outdoor cultural park where the plains, prairies and wetlands converge. Enjoy an intimate connection with the natural environment such as earth, wind, water and fire used to interpret American Indian perspectives.

Business Office - Open M-F (8am-5pm)
The American Indian Cultural Center and Museum
659 American Indian Boulevard
Oklahoma City, OK 73129
P: (405) 239.5500 F: (405) 670.0775
[email protected]

Mission/Vision | The American Indian Center

cool!
cities make me so nervous i try and keep my distance but this will surely draw me in.

Old 07-10-2016, 03:59 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
FORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputation
OKC City Council approves plan to complete American Indian Cultural Center and Museum | Oklahoma City - OKC - KOCO.com

sounds like it's pushed back to 2020.do you guys see this being worked on as you drive by out there?

Old 07-11-2016, 06:28 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.
I don't drive by there, but I'm subscribed to see what others say.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:33 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
OKLAHOMA CITY - Construction of the long-awaited American Indian Cultural Center & Museum could resume as soon as this fall.

Fundraisers reported Thursday they had collected $10.8 million in private donations, enough to start the process outlined in a 2015 state law to complete and open the museum.

Once that is done, the process of issuing state bonds can begin. The $10 million is the state's first installment on its $25 million pledge of matching funds to complete the museum.

Plans are to raise $31 million from private and tribal sources, plus $9 million pledged by the city of Oklahoma City, for a total of $40 million.

The American Indian Cultural Center & Museum, with its signature mound and arch, is visible from the intersection of Interstates 35 and 40 near downtown Oklahoma City.

It is expected to draw visitors from around the nation and globe with world-class exhibits, artifacts and events.

American Indian Cultural Center & Museum in OKC clears hurdle to issue bonds, resume building

At the Indian Cultural Center, Pepper Henry said, "I'll be building an organization from scratch."

He said the center would look to Oklahoma's 39 tribes and beyond in fulfilling its educational mission to serve Indian Country and highlight "the diverse heritages and cultural life-ways of America's first peoples."

Conceived more than 20 years ago, the Indian Cultural Center had a "groundblessing" in 2005. Construction began in 2006 and the visitor center was dedicated in 2008.

The city of Oklahoma City and the Chickasaw Nation are finalizing an agreement to complete and open the museum, and to convey surrounding land to the Chickasaws for development.

Director chosen for American Indian Cultural Center and Museum

"People will come and they will gain something very personal,” said Communications Director Shoshana Wasserman, “Not just about tribal knowledge but even at a more personalized individual level. And so, kind of this ascension, and when you come back you would have had a changed perspective of some kind."

“Construction could begin in the fall, and the museum could be open to the public by 2020. I can tell everybody in Oklahoma this is going to happen, for sure,” said Wade.

Construction Of American Indian Cultural Center & Museum To Resume

Old 05-13-2017, 07:11 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.
Interesting. But completion in 2020 will be hard to do, especially given the state of the state's finances.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:12 AM
Glowplugger
Elder User
Glowplugger has a very good reputation on FTE.Glowplugger has a very good reputation on FTE.Glowplugger has a very good reputation on FTE.
Seward's folly part deux. This thing was plagued with so many misteps and false promises that at this point I'd rather see it bulldozed and sold for apartment houses than cost the taxpayers another dollar. It was a really cool idea when it started and was to be fully funded but too many empty promises and cluster fiddlers later it's just a money pit.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:13 AM
shortride
ididmyduty
shortride has a very good reputation on FTE.shortride has a very good reputation on FTE.shortride has a very good reputation on FTE.
Speaking of Museums. The Museum of The Red River here in Idabel has been undergoing a complete remodeling and add-on for the past few months. It was already a very nice Museum. I can't wait for the construction to get finished.

Old 09-03-2017, 03:40 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
The Oklahoma City Council was unanimous Tuesday in its support of agreements to get the American Indian Cultural Center and Museum up and running.

The vote puts the museum on a path to fulfilling its promise as a home where the cultures, histories and stories of Oklahoma's 39 federally recognized tribes will be shared.

After a half-decade lying dormant on a rise overlooking the Oklahoma River, the museum was revived by a partnership between the Chickasaw Nation and the city of Oklahoma City.

"We were probably close to the point of rejecting the state's proposal when the Chickasaw Nation stepped up" and offered to partner on completing the project, said City Manager Jim Couch.

Construction is expected to take 24 months, with another 12 months devoted to preparing exhibits and galleries. The latest projection is to open by April 1, 2021.

Oklahoma City Council takes major step toward opening American Indian Cultural Center and Museum

Old 09-03-2017, 07:54 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Good! Glad to see that it is going to happen.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:03 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
OKLAHOMA CITY – Officials say they are one step closer to completing a project that has been in the works for several years.On Thursday, the City of Oklahoma City announced that city officials, state leaders and a subsidiary of the Chickasaw Nation have closed on land agreements related to the American Indian Cultural Center and Museum.Construction on the museum began in 2006 but came to an abrupt halt six years ago when state funding for the project ran out. The American Indian Cultural Center and Museum has sat partially finished ever since at the junction of I-35 and I-40 in Oklahoma City. Now, officials say construction will restart this summer and is expected to take about two years to complete.

Exhibits and other interior finishes will take another year to install.“It’s exciting to say the American Indian Cultural Center and Museum is headed toward completion,” said Mayor Mick Cornett. “In a few years, we’ll share the rich culture and proud history of Oklahoma’s Native Americans with the world through one of the nation’s finest museums. We would not be here today without the City’s partnership with the Chickasaw Nation and we’re all looking forward to the day the finished facility opens its doors.”“We sincerely appreciate the open and frank dialogue with representatives of the City of Oklahoma City as we worked through the complex due diligence phase of the project,” said Bill Lance, Chickasaw Nation Secretary of Commerce. “The property rights and environmental concerns required more thorough reviews due to the unusual nature of the original platting and the fact this land is along the Oklahoma River. We are excited to move forward on the next phase and continuing our dialogue with city officials as we firm up development plans that complement the comprehensive plans for the museum.” The museum is scheduled to open in 2021.

American Indian Cultural Center and Museum moves forward

Old 01-26-2019, 07:34 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Well,they're still trying by the sounds of things.

Officials say construction will soon resume on a museum that has been in the works for almost 13 years.Construction on the American Indian Cultural Center and Museum began in 2006, but came to an abrupt halt six years later when state funding for the project ran out. The American Indian Cultural Center and Museum has been partially finished ever since at the junction of I-35 and I-40 in Oklahoma City.
At this point, some of the building’s interior hasn’t been constructed yet and there are parts of the exterior that remain unfinished.Museum authorities tell News 4 that bids are due on Jan. 17, and that construction is expected to resume by April.

The museum is slated to open in 2021.

https://kfor.com/2019/01/04/construc...er-and-museum/

What a place it's gunna be.I have a feeling well worth the wait.I think it's gunna be easy to get in and out too for those of us not very comfortable in cities.Shouldn't be a problem for even me to visit lol.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:15 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
By Dana Hertneky-
To give you an idea how long it's been to get to this point, the museum was originally designed with phone booths in it.

The museum's mission to tell the story of Oklahoma's 39 tribes remains the same but the building's plans have been altered a bit with time. The main level will now include a full-service restaurant, featuring award winning Native American chefs with food sourced directly from the tribes.

The exhibits will now also include artifacts on long term loan from the Smithsonian that were originally collected from Oklahoma tribes 100 years ago.

After years of tribal consultation, symbolism is embedded in almost every corner of the project. But perhaps the biggest unintended representation is the struggle to get here.

“It has been a long journey, but you know that is also reflective of our histories. Our histories as native peoples have not always been easy,” said Wasserman.

The museum is slated to open in spring of 2021.

'It Has Been A Long Journey': American Indian Cultural Center Construction Resumes - News 9

What a long time coming! I've been so excited for this since forever and I still am. Authentic,Native American Indian cuisine! Great.Now that I've been looking forward to all the exhibits,I'm gunna be hungry for another couple years now too.
This is going to be great.A modern day,living museum and experience.Not just a place to learn but a place to experience American Indian culture and heritage.They do this right and they'll pull people from around the world here.