Condensation/Under Ground Electrical Conduit - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Garage & Workshop
Reload this Page >

Condensation/Under Ground Electrical Conduit

Notices
Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion

Old 03-01-2016, 12:18 PM
daveengelson
Post Fiend
daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.

I want to run a circuit to my shop: I ran electrical conduit from the power source 40' under ground, then the conduit runs 8' up a retaining wall above ground, I then ran another 30' above ground 90 degrees and intended to secure the conduit to the retaining wall and install 2-3 electrical outlets?

It occurred to me that due to condensation, over time, moisture would tend to accumulate and seems it would be similar to running a circuit thru a water line and potentially very hazardous. Curious if this is to be expected, or is there a component or accessory required that would minimize or eliminate the condensation?

Comments/Suggestions appreciated!

Old 03-01-2016, 02:19 PM
85e150six4mtod
85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation
When I was installing several lengths of underground conduit, the electrician told me "they all get water in them...". That comment leads me to believe it's normal. You can blow air through it, or put one shop vac sucking on one end and another blowing on the other end and clear it out. I did that on one, but have never gone back to check on any of them. All the underground utility stuff around here seems to have fans running and vents here and there. And it's pretty dry here.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:45 PM
daveengelson
Post Fiend
daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.
Imagine if the circuit becomes compromised it will be evident thru the GFI receptacles?? I do not feel comfortable when it comes to being around the combination of electricity and water!. Like the idea of either vacuum, or air hose, probly install a coupling at the top and bottom, uncap and siphon the moisture out!.

Appreciate the input!!

Old 03-01-2016, 06:00 PM
85e150six4mtod
85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation
One reason you never put a splice in a wire going into conduit. I pulled the wires out of my feed to the garage as I wanted to go up a size. I found a splice in the neutral.

Never hire an old electrician who dies in the middle of the job, leaving his drunken ex-con assistant to finish the job.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:27 PM
daveengelson
Post Fiend
Yes, purchased individual strands of wire to run 220 circuit the entire distance, no splices; except at the receptacle boxes toward the end of the run.

Have to laugh, recently had carpet installed, for some reason the original crew had to put the installation on hold due to illness with the elderly lead crew member. Carpet company hired a replacement crew, kid you not, they were on an early prison release program; nice kids and fortunately the lead installer knew what he was doing, we did not inquire into their history but we watch the crew like a hawk during the entire 4 hour it took them to install the carpet.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:33 PM
85e150six4mtod
Like it or not, and I don't, we gotta let 'em work I guess. Not too enthusiastic about them working on my house but.... And the electrician's helper wasn't the only one. I mentioned to the contractor that the one fellow shouldn't be discussing his recent release from jail in front of the home owner. That fellow had a lot of "first day on the job" experiences I'd guess.

Good luck with your project.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:13 PM
Ford_Six
Super Moderator
Ford_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputation
With plastic insulation, as long as the insulation isn't compromised then it doesn't matter what it runs through, as long as the wire is protected from abrasion. You can't bury the wires directly, unless it's in a direct burial rated sheath, but running through a conduit full of water is fine.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:25 AM
daveengelson
Post Fiend
Thank you to all, this is good news!! I already purchased the individual strand, and understand not code correct to run a burial rated sheath thru conduit, just seems the sheath wire would be less likely to fray considering the number of twist and turns pulling the wire some 50'.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:00 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.
I ran a 4 inch plastic line underground.. with 110, 220, phone, alarm, 3 way lights, garage door openers circuits...

I did it in 1980.. Yes water gets in.. never had an Issue... that's 36 years ago.

from house to garage... 75 feet away.

and in N.E. Ohio... freeze/thaw, Feet of snow/ inches of rain.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:12 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
when i do conduit i use schedule 40 PVC and glue the joints to keep as much water out as i can. then use weather rated wire. never had any problems. but like already was stated, it has to be a solid run with no connections unless they are in a weather sealed waterproof box.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:08 AM
daveengelson
Post Fiend
I be getting excited, the thought of getting electricity to the shop, especially a 220v can't wait to get started.

Again, thanks to all for the input!!.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:23 PM
85e150six4mtod
I wish I had run bigger conduit on all my pulls, so pick what you think will work for you and go up one or two sizes.

You should probably also get a bottle of that pulling lube--baby poop looking stuff.

If you don't have a long enough fish tape, you can blow/suck a string through the lines with the vacuum set up. You tie a patch to the end of the string to give something for the air to push/pull on. Then you pull a decent line through that will actually pull the wire. Serving suggestion.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:54 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
i ran 3 inch schedule 40 PVC out to the garage, and put a 1/4 cotton rope through with a rag tied into a ball, and blown through with compressed air.
the 1/4 rope made an easy job of pulling the #6 wire through to the sub panel

Old 03-02-2016, 03:45 PM
daveengelson
Post Fiend
I ran a leader thru the conduit already; attached a line to the cat's ball and had a person feed the leader while I used 'big bertha' vacuum and pulled it thru the conduit? There are a couple matters I want to followed up on; as mentioned, make sure the conduit joints are cement tight, for those joints above ground I may not have used cement?

Not sure I can add an additional 220 v circuit thru the power panel, it's full; but I am considering using an existing 220v receptacle, which is approx. 18" from the power box, located above ground and under the house. The receptacle is only used during power outages where we plug in our 5K generator to feed the house. Imagine it will be determine whether I can move this receptacle an additional 80' from the house and whether the generator is capable to feed the house. Figure the circuit would serve dual purpose, normal use 220v machinery, and during power outages, for those who are 'wondering' for past 50 plus years been running the generator thru existing circuits only after shutting off the main.

Again, thank you to all for the input!!

Old 03-02-2016, 05:36 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
same way i power off the genset Dave. shut down the main, plug in, and fire up.
when i see the neighbors porch lights go back on, i know power is back. then i shut down, unplug, and flip the main back on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Condensation/Under Ground Electrical Conduit

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.