Condensation/Under Ground Electrical Conduit - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Garage & Workshop
Reload this Page >

Condensation/Under Ground Electrical Conduit

Notices
Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion

Condensation/Under Ground Electrical Conduit

Old 03-02-2016, 10:00 PM
daveengelson
Post Fiend
daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by tjc transport View Post
same way i power off the genset Dave. shut down the main, plug in, and fire up.
when i see the neighbors porch lights go back on, i know power is back. then i shut down, unplug, and flip the main back on.
How funny, neighbor's and I do the same, eventually the first who finds the power is back-on immediately notify the others.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:03 AM
PupnDuck
Elder User
PupnDuck has a very good reputation on FTE.PupnDuck has a very good reputation on FTE.PupnDuck has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by tjc transport View Post
same way i power off the genset Dave. shut down the main, plug in, and fire up.
when i see the neighbors porch lights go back on, i know power is back. then i shut down, unplug, and flip the main back on.
I do the same exact thing. Just be aware that it violates virtually every code in the country. Around here if you get caught doing that by the utility company, they will pull your meter and won't restore service until you have a transfer switch installed by a licensed electrician and inspected by the company.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:38 AM
85e150six4mtod
85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation
I was checking that out a while back. Isn't the concern caused by the possibility of feeding back through the neutral? When you flip the main breaker, you are just disconnecting the two hot leads. A short or malfunction of some equipment might energize the neutral, all the way up to where some lineman is working. I suppose the grounding of your box etc. should take care of that, but if I was up on a pole with the wind blowing me around trying to work with some tangle and wreckage, I would not want even the slightest tingle .

Old 03-05-2016, 12:07 PM
daveengelson
Post Fiend
daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.
Not being an electrician, it was my understanding once the main was shut off that disconnected the power source in either direction?

My experience, living among the redwoods, where down trees and power outage can be common, the various utility company's and emergency response teams, tend to rely on local assistance and unless they determine an installation is hazardous they tend to leave the residence alone? I would guesstimate 80% of the residence own generators and of those probly a small portion have been installed by a licensed electrician?

Old 03-05-2016, 12:15 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Backfeed is dangerous and killed folks. The step down transformers along the way to your outlet work as step up transformers when power is running the wrong way.

An isolation box is a great idea. I usually flip the main breaker during an outage because the power surges as electricity is restored isn't good at all for sensitive electronics. Sags are not good for electric motors. Same routine with summer lightning storms. Some way of easily monitoring line or mains voltage is good. 120 volts may be the standard but bad things can happen now and then.

I'd have assumed when the main breaker is thrown the house is completely isolated from the grid?

Old 03-05-2016, 02:17 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
correct. once the main is flipped off you are off the grid.
unless of course an idiot wired your house and is using a neutral or ground leg as a hot leg.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:29 PM
PupnDuck
Elder User
PupnDuck has a very good reputation on FTE.PupnDuck has a very good reputation on FTE.PupnDuck has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by daveengelson View Post
Not being an electrician, it was my understanding once the main was shut off that disconnected the power source in either direction?

My experience, living among the redwoods, where down trees and power outage can be common, the various utility company's and emergency response teams, tend to rely on local assistance and unless they determine an installation is hazardous they tend to leave the residence alone? I would guesstimate 80% of the residence own generators and of those probly a small portion have been installed by a licensed electrician?
If you use a generator with a bunch of extension cords to power the fridge, TV, etc. there's no problem at all. The problem can occur if you flip the main breaker and then back feed the house through an outlet. It may be a rare occurrence, but if you have a defective or high resistance grounding connection at your service entrance panel the neutral, which is NOT disconnected by the main breaker can have some level of voltage with respect to ground. A person working on a nearby pole could be put in danger.
Many of us do it. I do it. We should not do it. It may be a pain in the butt to install a true transfer switch but that's the right way to go.
After "Super Storm Sandy" hit I was running on a portable generator for 6 days and nights using back feed.