6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 no start

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 05:37 AM
D Craig
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 no start

06 6.0 F250 throwing code P0677 #7 glow plug circuit module. I don't think one bad plug would cause a no start, however coupled with too much oil possibly? Swapped my oil about 500 miles ago, I put in 20qts accidentally, drained off about 3-4 qts eyeballed, truck fired up and ran fine no smoke nothing. Yesterday morning I was leaving work and moved my truck from parking space to behind the bay at my fire station, I turned the engine off. Loaded up my gear and turned the engine to the aux position and someone was talking to me so inlet it sit for a while in the auxiliary position. Went to crank no start, turned the key off then back on and it fired. Fast forward after 7 different starts throughout the day, I'm at dinner with my son we go to leave engine will not start at all, rolls and rolls and rolls nothing. Towed her home and scratching my head. Over filled oil with a bad plug cause no start??
MODS: egr delete, new oil cooler, cat and muffler delete, upgraded Y turbo pipe. Also have an SCII throwing codes p0677 and p0401 egr code
Any help, thank you

Last edited by D Craig; 02-27-2016 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 02-27-2016, 06:59 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
you may have fried the FICM relay or caused it pain.

Any live data reading device, like a Scan Gauge II or Torque Pro on your phone?

Pull the ICP connector, its on the passenger valve cover. Try that first. Then replace the FICM relay, drivers side near the hood hinge. Both the relays are the same, you could swap them to see what comes.

P0677 won't prevent a start, might be a little rough initially, until it fires a few times. P0401 is an EGR code, probably because your running a deleted EGR. Just make sure it's plugged into the connector, it helps control the fan speed.

Pulling the ICP plug will override any low oil pressure issues that may be caused by a failing High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP) that may be lurking.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:48 PM
D Craig
5th Wheeling
ok so here's what I found. Replacing the #7 glow plug was merely a 16$ dollar rule out. So I get the plug installed and she fires right up. I run around town do a few errands and notice as the engine temperature rises the idle gets more erratic. Had lunch with my wife told her I want to drain off a gallon of oil that was over filled. Drained off about 1.5 gallons to put the oil a little below the max line. I drive around to get the eng temp up, get the water temp to 173 and eot to 175 and as I'm driving the truck just shuts down. Luckily I was in my neighborhood, the wife towed me home. Called a few buddies 2 to be exact, they had the exact same issue, it's a high pressure oil leak, at least it was for them. I did notice on the passenger side under the vehicle along the frame, and a few of the hoses that were under there, they were all wet with fresh oil, not actively dripping but wet like it was freshly dripped. Towed her to the lot across the street from the house and will drive my other vehicle until I can get to it. Out of town until next Sunday. Ill post an update as they come.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:57 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by WatsonR
you may have fried the FICM relay or caused it pain.

Any live data reading device, like a Scan Gauge II or Torque Pro on your phone?

Pull the ICP connector, its on the passenger valve cover. Try that first. Then replace the FICM relay, drivers side near the hood hinge. Both the relays are the same, you could swap them to see what comes.

P0677 won't prevent a start, might be a little rough initially, until it fires a few times. P0401 is an EGR code, probably because your running a deleted EGR. Just make sure it's plugged into the connector, it helps control the fan speed.

Pulling the ICP plug will override any low oil pressure issues that may be caused by a failing High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP) that may be lurking.

Start with the bold stuff. Then pull the IPR and see if the screen is damaged, if so, replace the screen. Still a no start, get prepared to air test the truck to find the leak... my bet is a dummy plug let go or the STC fitting.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:45 AM
D Craig
5th Wheeling
@watsonr yes I do have a scanguageII no code except for the p0401 which is the egr. I was getting the p0677 then swapped the glow plug and fixed that. It will only cold start, my dad actually started the truck this morning and moved it into my driveway, it only has the no start issue when it is hot. I will investigate the swapping of the relays when I get home. I'll get it hot and try to recreate and swap those and see what I come up with. Makes sense, I think I'm losing pressure somewhere and the 6.0's have that fail safe to shut down upon low or no oil pressure. Thanks so much for your help I will definitely look at all possibilities. Thanks again!!

Old 02-28-2016, 08:40 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by D Craig
@watsonr yes I do have a scanguageII no code except for the p0401 which is the egr. I was getting the p0677 then swapped the glow plug and fixed that. It will only cold start, my dad actually started the truck this morning and moved it into my driveway, it only has the no start issue when it is hot. I will investigate the swapping of the relays when I get home. I'll get it hot and try to recreate and swap those and see what I come up with. Makes sense, I think I'm losing pressure somewhere and the 6.0's have that fail safe to shut down upon low or no oil pressure. Thanks so much for your help I will definitely look at all possibilities. Thanks again!!
It's not actually a fail safe, they simply won't light up unless you have 500 psi, below that no go........unless you are referring to the low side pressure, something I was not aware of, but not unheard of to have an issue on low side...just not that common.
Doubt it is your HPOP, rarely go bad in 05 and up but nothing is out of the question. As Randy said likely the STC or dummy plugs...maybe stand pipes.

You have the resources you need right here

Old 02-28-2016, 08:49 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
tech folder is full of great info... you need to read this one on no-start condition.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...condition.html

Welcome to the site. Lots of guys willing to help with info and even show up to pull a wrench or a beer top with you.

Where you from?

Old 03-10-2016, 08:33 PM
D Craig
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by WatsonR
tech folder is full of great info... you need to read this one on no-start condition.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...condition.html

Welcome to the site. Lots of guys willing to help with info and even show up to pull a wrench or a beer top with you.

Where you from?
WatsonR
Port St. Lucie, Fl.
Thanks for all the help, haven't had a chance to pull the icp, I did talk with a ford mechanic that's a friend of a friend, he thinks it's either the ipr, a dummy plug, or stc. Getting it towed to him on monday. And it hasn't fired since my last post. Pops moved it to my driveway and it won't start at all now, just rolls and rolls. I'll try and pull the icp this weekend. If I pull the icp and it starts what does that mean? I'll let y'all know how it goes. Thanks so much again.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:27 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
The ICP is bad. Check to make sure its not oil soaked inside the connector either.
When cranking, observe ICP, ICPV, IPR, and FMP on the scan gauge, then post them here so we can see what your getting.

You need ICP=500+, ICPV=.80+, FMP=>45.0 and IPR= <84.9%

Then we can go from there.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:22 AM
D Craig
5th Wheeling
Pulled the ICP still no start, I could only read 2 of the values you told me to look for. I don't have a computer based scan gauge, just the one the plugs into the OBD2 port. I was able to get a FMP reading of 48 and the ICP reading said 1414 but I think thats wrong because it was unplugged. All the other scans were not able to be read do to the limits of my gauge. Perhaps there are some after market code I can install on my gauge but I was running on short time. I'll have it towed on Monday and let y'all know what the mechanic says. Thanks again for your help!!

PS I also did notice, the oil pressure gauge in the truck never moved, I think after a couple seconds it should register pressure no? I checked this with the ICP plugged and unplugged. So, my thinking is I am not getting any oil pressure at all.

Last edited by D Craig; 03-12-2016 at 09:23 AM. Reason: addition
Old 03-12-2016, 09:34 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by D Craig
Pulled the ICP still no start, I could only read 2 of the values you told me to look for. I don't have a computer based scan gauge, just the one the plugs into the OBD2 port. I was able to get a FMP reading of 48 and the ICP reading said 1414 but I think thats wrong because it was unplugged. All the other scans were not able to be read do to the limits of my gauge. Perhaps there are some after market code I can install on my gauge but I was running on short time. I'll have it towed on Monday and let y'all know what the mechanic says. Thanks again for your help!!

PS I also did notice, the oil pressure gauge in the truck never moved, I think after a couple seconds it should register pressure no? I checked this with the ICP plugged and unplugged. So, my thinking is I am not getting any oil pressure at all.
You need to load the xgauges for the 6.0 to read all of the pid's. The scan gauge will read everything you need, if you need help entering the xgauge codes do a search on YouTube

Old 03-13-2016, 10:19 AM
D Craig
5th Wheeling
Thanks mustang_309
I did a youtube search and found some great info, a ford tech named Robert I think walked through a whole host of tests. Here's what I found.
SYC-1
FMP-48.0
ICP-25
IPR-84.7
Now if I'm understand these readings correctly, number one I'm not getting the required 500 psi to start correct, and the IPR is working entirely too hard at almost 85% when just cranking. Possibly trying to over compensate for the lack of pressure? Now what does all this mean? Bad ICP, a leak, bad IPR, ?? I'm thinking it means i've got a leak somewhere and the pressure is not building to acceptable limits, in a nut shell. Any help thanks

Old 03-13-2016, 10:49 AM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Pull the IPR valve.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:16 AM
D Craig
5th Wheeling
Still haven't heard back from my mechanic yet, had the truck towed to him on Tuesday, said he'd have something for me by Wednesday, yesterday. I don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing that I haven't heard, either he hasn't got to it yet or he is finding more and more issues??? I'll let y'all know what I find.

Old 03-26-2016, 04:12 PM
D Craig
5th Wheeling
So I heard from my mechanic, here is what he found. The STC fitting was bad or leaking and the ipr valve screen was torn. 1k to fix it

Quick Reply: 6.0 no start