1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 F250 5.4L vacuum noise, burnt smell, no start

Old 02-25-2016, 09:47 PM
dhoff024
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 F250 5.4L vacuum noise, burnt smell, no start

So this morning I started my truck to move it out of the driveway and it sounded funny almost like I was running a ship vac under the hood. I moved it and shut it off and when I shut the truck off it sounded like screeching tires. I thought it was weird but chalked it up to it being cold. When I came home I started the truck again and I got the same vacuum noise. I figured I would let it run some since it was pretty cold out. All of a sudden I heard the noise stop so I went out and all I smelled was a burning smell but the truck was idling fine and running nice and quiet like it usually does. So I shut the truck off and then it wouldn't start again. So I tried to jump it still wouldn't start would barely try to crank. I crawled under smacked the starter a few times jumped it again and it started. I left it running for 20 mins after that no noise sounded fine. Any thoughts on what this could be? Thanks in advance

Old 02-25-2016, 09:57 PM
firebirdparts
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe something that is belt-driven has locked up tight. I hope that's it, anyway. would be easy to fix.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:40 PM
dhoff024
Senior User
I am hoping it is something belt driven as well. Anyone think it could be the starter stuck open and shorted itself out after running the truck for a little while?

Old 02-25-2016, 10:48 PM
mattymax
Fleet Mechanic
Received 83 Likes on 45 Posts
If it stayed open it would have been a horrible metal on metal sound. May have been the solenoid trying to turn the stsrter after the truck was started. And that burned up Just a thought

Old 02-25-2016, 11:06 PM
dhoff024
Senior User
Well after I got the truck back started and let it run for about 20 mins I shut it off and restarted it and it started right up if the starter or solenoid was bad would the truck restart?

Old 02-26-2016, 08:38 AM
dhoff024
Senior User
Just wanted to update: started the truck this morning it cranked at first and didn't start but that's better than it was yesterday. I drove it to work and it ran perfect just like it should. I am guessing it was something belt driven frozen or locked up and once it heated up from running the truck it broke free or there was moisture in the starter or something. I can't think of anything else that it could have been. Whatever it was it out a pretty hard draw on the battery to kill it that quickly. I'm just chalking it up to the cold weather and hoping it's good to go now. I guess if I end up having to replace the starter or something belt related its not the end of the world it could be worse but I'm hoping it's good to go now.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:59 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Are you sure your coolant is mixed to the required 50/50 mix (-34*F)? If ambient temps are below +32*F and your coolant specific gravity is too light it could be the water pump that froze! Which means your close to cracking an engine block. Dont know where you live to define what cold is? Read the owners manual. Theres a ton of good service tips there for your reading pleasure.
What the .... is a ship vac anyway? lol.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:10 PM
dhoff024
Senior User
Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Are you sure your coolant is mixed to the required 50/50 mix (-34*F)? If ambient temps are below +32*F and your coolant specific gravity is too light it could be the water pump that froze! Which means your close to cracking an engine block. Dont know where you live to define what cold is?
What the .... is a ship vac anyway? lol.
I live in western pa it was 27 yesterday so not terribly cold but still cold. I don't think it's a coolant problem it's been way colder and I have had no issues. Sorry My phone likes to spell check things that don't need it. I was trying to say Shop Vac lol it literally sounded just like running a Shop Vac but it was louder when you stood to the passenger side or drivers side than if you were standing in front of the vehicle.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:15 AM
dhoff024
Senior User
So after using the truck today I think I have determined the starter is bad. Got the battery, alternator, and starter tested. I was told alternator and battery were fine but the battery didn't have enough charge to run the starter test. Every time I started the truck today it would chug chug chug before it would start. Sometimes it wouldn't start I would have to try it a few times before it would start. Once it was running it ran perfect I am going to look for another starter and go from there. From searching it doesn't seem to hard looks like the consesus is it is a PITA to get to and get the bolts out so I guess we will see.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:04 AM
davester250
Elder User
For the starter not working, assuming you have done something to actually charge the battery up to full power [otherwise, there's no reason to expect the starter to work properly if the battery isn't charged enough to run a 'starter test'], I would suggest first examining the power and ground cables between the starter, truck and battery, as well as unbolting the connections and cleaning each connector before reattaching it.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:33 AM
dhoff024
Senior User
Originally Posted by davester250
For the starter not working, assuming you have done something to actually charge the battery up to full power [otherwise, there's no reason to expect the starter to work properly if the battery isn't charged enough to run a 'starter test'], I would suggest first examining the power and ground cables between the starter, truck and battery, as well as unbolting the connections and cleaning each connector before reattaching it.
Battery was showing 450 CCA they said it wasn't enough to run a starter test but should be enough to try to start the truck without it chugging. I don't know if that is true or not. I am going to borrow my dad's charger and let it slow charge today it will be warmer this weekend so I will check and clean the connections and charge the battery up and see what happens. When they ran the test they said the starter was showing 9.3v instead of 12v.

Old 02-27-2016, 03:27 PM
dhoff024
Senior User
So I had the truck charging for about 3 hours today. I did not check any of the connections. Started the truck and it still did not start like normal it chuffed and then started. I hear the vacuum noise again truck ran for around 30 secs then the truck stalled out the tach and speedometer needles were bouncing and you could hear a clicking sound inside the truck also the CD player was cycling rapidly. I tried to restart the truck and when you turn the key all you get is one click doesn't try to turn or do anything. Obviously I think I can rule out anything belt related in my mind I am thinking three different things battery, starter, bad ground/wiring issue.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:00 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If your hearing a vacuum sound its likely a cracked hose on the intake side (PCV or??) or the intake manifold itself or something has become disconnected. With a vac leak as big as it sounds like you have of course it wont run. Start lookin for splits cracks etc... Look at the intake tract. If the hose from the air cleaner has come lose on the throttle body that will exhibit your symptom as you will get the vacuum like sound. In this case the intake air is bypassing the MAF sensor. The computer will be measuring the mass air charge incorrectly thus causing drive-ability issues.
As for the starting problem you need to clean all the electrical connections associated with the secondary system (ALL the Large battery cables) followed by a spray of ignition sealer after you clean and tighten them. Dont rule out a bad cable. A battery cable can visually inspect ok yet be bad internally. Ohm test all cables. All should exhibit a very low Ohm reading.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:48 PM
dhoff024
Senior User
Originally Posted by droldsmorland
If your hearing a vacuum sound its likely a cracked hose on the intake side (PCV or??) or the intake manifold itself or something has become disconnected. With a vac leak as big as it sounds like you have of course it wont run. Start lookin for splits cracks etc... Look at the intake tract. If the hose from the air cleaner has come lose on the throttle body that will exhibit your symptom as you will get the vacuum like sound. In this case the intake air is bypassing the MAF sensor. The computer will be measuring the mass air charge incorrectly thus causing drive-ability issues.
As for the starting problem you need to clean all the electrical connections associated with the secondary system (ALL the Large battery cables) followed by a spray of ignition sealer after you clean and tighten them. Dont rule out a bad cable. A battery cable can visually inspect ok yet be bad internally. Ohm test all cables. All should exhibit a very low Ohm reading.
Just wanted to update tested everything all wires, battery, and alternator. Everything belt driven is ok and there are no vacuum leaks or any other leaks of any kind. I decided I would start with replacing the starter. Replaced the starter yesterday. I found that the one in the truck was a remanufactured replacement. It was not the original or a motorcraft starter and the casing on the starter was actually cracked. Starter is in the truck and everything is back to normal. Just wanted to say thanks for all the help and suggestions I am happy to have my truck back on the road.