Lets see those slide-ins !

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 09:33 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
We are looking at a used Big Foot for when we don't want to take our fifth wheel. Thoughts?

Steve

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-21-2016, 10:13 AM
4x4pwr
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only bad thing about "Bigfoots" is the price.

My father in law has a 2008 bigfoot that fits on a long bed dually... His is still like a $26,000 camper!

Bigfoot in my opinion is one of the best campers out there. The only reason I didn't buy one was because I couldn't afford one. A used bigfoot around the 2006-2008 era costs more than my 2014 Lance.

Bigfoot campers have an actual R value rating, they are a true cold weather camper. If you can afford one, don't think twice.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:51 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Yeah, these things are pricey, but found a one owner in excellent shape. Will probably look at it this weekend. I have always been impressed with their construction.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 09-22-2016, 12:03 PM
SidecarFlip
Senior User
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
You can do a Lance with a cold weather package (heated tanks, double pane windows and insulation a lot cheaper) I used to take mine snowmobiling in northern Michigan in the dead of winter and never had issue one. All you have to do is watch interior condensation, any camper buttoned up in the winter can get condensation on the inner walls.

Big Foot (s) are like Airstream trailers.... Overpriced.

But then slide in campers in general are overpriced. They are a defined use item.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:19 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Yes, probably true, but am buying used, not new and this is long long after my first rodeo. I am also buying after the summer season which means it is much easier to negotiate.

All RVs are overprices in my mind so it is just a matter of how much.

Steve

Old 09-22-2016, 02:47 PM
SidecarFlip
Senior User
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Yes, probably true, but am buying used, not new and this is long long after my first rodeo. I am also buying after the summer season which means it is much easier to negotiate.

Steve

Depending on where you are at, I still have the Lance sitting in the driveway. Needs some work, the microwave is kaput (have a new one for it, needs to roof vents replaced and the frig needs a board. Some delamination on the one side that I overlaid with a sheet of HDPE to match and epoxied it on. Full winter package, has all options it's a 915 and the unladen weight is around 1800 I believe. Has the 1 piece aluminum roof, roof rack, Carefree side awning and remote jacks... There is a picture in the thread somewhere...

Obviously, you are handy and I'll make the price real good, real good...

I think 250 for the board. and 12 bucks each for the vent covers. Dam good cold weather camper.

I hauled it on my SRW F350 all over the countryside.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:24 PM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Bigfoot seems to be the real deal. I wish there were used ones in my area.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:52 AM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
I started looking at the Northstar truck campers. I am still doing a lot of research on truck campers and from everything I have read, they have a great reputation and very strong following.
For my truck configuration, I would be looking at either the 850 SC in their pop up line or the Laredo SC in their hard side line.
Do any of you have experience with them?

Old 09-24-2016, 08:19 AM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Steve
Isn't that the truth. After walking the Hershey show last weekend, I really was not paying any mind to the price after seeing some of the quality of the units. The best part is you see all the used/ repoed units at the auto auction on the side of 81. That's when you say, that's probably closer to the real price for one of these units. My wife was amazed to see so many units in one spot. I told her people buy an RV for a year or two and stop paying. They lose the interest or cant pay. The unit get repoed or turned in.

To keep this on track to the original thought here. If I could find a pick up camper for the right price used, I would seriously think about parting ways with some hard earn cash.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:40 PM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
I think Northern Lite is along the same lines from a manufacturing design as the Bigfoot campers and both of them are manufactured in Canada.
I know down here in the states the big "4 season" camper seems to be the Arctic Fox. But, they are so darn heavy that even the lightest one they make, the 865, is still too heavy for my new truck. I have a buddy who just put an Arctic Fox 965 with 2 slides on a 1 ton crew cab dually long bed and he is still overweight for that truck.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:10 PM
SidecarFlip
Senior User
Running off road like I do, a couple things happen right away. One is Cg and two is loaded weight and how it impacts Cg, plus of course loaded height which is why I bought a Palomino Backpack. It closes up, lowers the Cg and I can get in the woods where a hardside would never get to....and the Backpack is relatively light, even loaded and full of water, propane, food and beverages. I come in just over a ton, well within the capability of my F350. I usually pull my quad on a small trailer behind the camper, Quads are great for exploring in the woods...and gathering firewood for the evening fire.

I don't do RV parks or improved campsites. I can do that in my back 40.

More than once I've been in an off camber situation and glad my Cg was low. A dually don't work for me. I get in some tight spots in the woods, I'd be tearing the fenders off or worse.

My 350 diesel works just fine for my use with manual hubs and air bags and factory sway bars. I canned the stock tires right away and put on some meats. Tire width is everything on soft ground. I also installed an ARB air locker in the front differential and a Detroit Tru-Track in the back. I hate getting stuck and a portable Lewis Winch as well.

I pack everything that has weight low in the camper as possible, no roof air (that raises the Cg.)... I carry my self rescue tools in the truck, on the floor, bottle jack, pry bars, socket sets and a chainsaw (always take a chainsaw..)

So far, no issues but I like being prepared. Getting in and getting out again is fun. Getting stuck is no fun, especially when I'm a long way from a wrecker. The key to a successful off road excursion is, go slow and if in doubt, get out and walk it and of course look above for low hanging limbs.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:35 PM
jeepjake
New User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
1985 truck with an 1988 slide in

new, to me!

Attached Images  
The following 3 users liked this post by jeepjake:
Old 10-03-2016, 12:29 AM
SidecarFlip
Senior User
Thats a lot of camper for a 250. You need to add a leaf out back or bags and I don't see any front tie down's?

I bet the GVW on that camper is every bit of 2300.

Nice outfit for it's age though. Could be a hand full in a crosswind on that truck however....

Old 10-03-2016, 03:47 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
So far we are off hard tops and are searching pop-tops. We like primitive and the ability to get away from things so am thinking a pop-up might be beneficial. Right how we found a North Star TS1000, but I would have to put swing out jacks on it to clear the dually fenders. Still have to go look at it.

We intend to keep our fiver as we still will winter in Florida, but when we head West with so much to see, we thought the fiver might slow us down and a slide-in might make it easier to see and do things without worrying about where to perch for the night or nights. Adding a use slide-in to our "fleet" would not break the bank and add flexibility we are thinking. Gave up a long time ago thinking one camper can do it all.

Steve

Old 10-03-2016, 06:10 PM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
So far we are off hard tops and are searching pop-tops. We like primitive and the ability to get away from things so am thinking a pop-up might be beneficial. Right how we found a North Star TS1000, but I would have to put swing out jacks on it to clear the dually fenders. Still have to go look at it.

We intend to keep our fiver as we still will winter in Florida, but when we head West with so much to see, we thought the fiver might slow us down and a slide-in might make it easier to see and do things without worrying about where to perch for the night or nights. Adding a use slide-in to our "fleet" would not break the bank and add flexibility we are thinking. Gave up a long time ago thinking one camper can do it all.

Steve
Steve,
I am going to look at the Northstar 850SC tomorrow. It is their pop up that works really well with short or long bed trucks and has a great floor plan. It is the same floor plan as the Northstar Laredo SC, which is a hard side.
I want to look at it before taking my wife to see it as the hardest part for me will be selling her on a pop up versus a hard side.

Quick Reply: Lets see those slide-ins !