Lets see those slide-ins !

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 10:04 AM
SidecarFlip
Senior User
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
Craigslist is your friend for a used trailer. I see them for 150 bucks and up. Don't have to be pretty, just serviceable. Not going that far and not going on the road at all.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-16-2016, 11:23 AM
SidecarFlip
Senior User
Pictures

And not in my driveway either....

On my Northern Michigan hunting property last weekend. Note the access road and the water crossing (it's about 16" deep)....

This is in the woods guys (and gals), not in a campground, not on the pavement, in fact, a car cannot get there, well maybe with a tow strap....

Not in any picture, I have the camera.....

Attached Images          
Old 08-16-2016, 11:33 AM
SidecarFlip
Senior User
It rained all weekend, no issue. Bugs (deerflies) were bad in the woods, why I put the camper in the clearing. I have a spot way back in but no point in giving blood 24/7.

I take the camper in, in 4H and let the 7.3 idle along. I have to clear the road every spring of fallen trees and brush so I can get in, a chainsaw is SOP.

\My cousin and his son from Illinois came up and the guy in the chair is one of my longtime hunting buds. My motto is, you want to hunt on my land, you help out with the work. We put up a couple new ladder stands, painted one blind (I have 2 stationary blinds on the property and checked all the boundary posts (I like to walk the perimeter to inspect everything. Trespassers are always an issue. People today don't respect other's property. Yes, we were all armed (except the little guy). We all carry handguns in the woods as a precaution. I carry a 44 Smith long barrel revolver.

That is a roll of TP on the hood of the side by side. We never leave it behind either....you never know when....

Old 08-16-2016, 11:40 AM
SidecarFlip
Senior User
Here are a few more for your enjoyment.... Nice piece of ground to own.

Attached Images          
Old 08-16-2016, 03:31 PM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Thanks for sharing Sidecarflip! Did that new slide in work well for you over the weekend?

Old 08-16-2016, 08:11 PM
SidecarFlip
Senior User
Actually, it's not the first time I've had it up there but it's the first time I got to handle 3 hungry working guys and myself and the 2 burner cooktop is a challenge... making dinners and breakfasts. I didn't take the microwave and should have. Least I had a nice campfire to cook on, nothing beats steaks and burgers cooked on oak coals...

I'm the cook btw and bottle washer too. It has a pretty large 3 way fridge that I stuffed and emptied.

Everything worked flawlessly. Saturday night was a monsoon and nothing leaked. I had to button up the side curtains but I kept the ventilation up with the powered roof fan.

Very comfortable to sleep in, has a queen bed over the cab and the dinette converts to a single bed.

I'm very happy with it. It ticks all the boxes I wanted, low transport height and cg and it raises up electrically in about 15 seconds. I set the jacks down to stabilize the camper, takes a minute with my cordless drill and the supplied adapter.

I'm getting between 19 and 20 on the road in 2wd with my 7.3 and I don't even know the camper is on the truck. My old Lance, every time a truck passed me on a 2 lane, I could feel it. With this one, I feel nothing.

You still have to go slow off road or everything inside the camper and fridge gets discombobled. I just take my time, I'm in no hurry anyway.

On a scale of 1-10, I give the Backpacker a 9. I'd give it a 10 but the motel gets the 10 with a continental breakfast and clean sheets everyday....

Old 08-16-2016, 08:30 PM
SidecarFlip
Senior User
Thinking about it, there are 2 nit picky points I'm not all that happy with (but nothing I can do will alter them...

One is the fridge. Normally, on a hard side camper, the fridge has a lower intake vent where the works are, propane burner and heating elements that heat the absorbtion unit (the fridge cools with amononia ( excuse my spelling) and vents out on the roof, like a chimney. This camper lacks that upper vent so there is a 12 volt fan in the upper vent (on the side of the camper above the lower vent) that pulls out the heat and keeps the coils cool and it's noisy. It only runs when the thernostat in the fridge calls for it to be colder so it's not continuous but it does wake me up (I'm a light sleeper) and, if you look at the pictures, you'll see I have a retractable ladder on the back to get in and out. No way can you get into or out of the camper without a ladder... it's high up, but it is on a 350 4x4 thats 4 over stock to begin with. Takes a bit of getting used to (ladder) but once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad.....

Yes, in the one picture that is a sidearm in a holster on my buddy's hip. 40 caliber auto. I'm so used to being around guns I pay no attention. Like I said, we all carry anyway. Michigan is actually open carry and up north I rarely take my sidearm off no matter where I go.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:18 AM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like overall it is a really nice camper for you.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:08 PM
wvabeer
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Here is mine

Old 08-17-2016, 09:19 PM
SidecarFlip
Senior User
Kenny....

How is that in a cross wind or passing an oncoming truck on a 2 lane at speed? reason I ask is my other camper, a hardside Lance is a hand full even on my one ton and yours is way up there... Just curious. Also, what is behind the tall skinny door on the side in the picture?

Old 08-17-2016, 10:21 PM
skherrington
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip
My new Palomino SS1500 on my 1997 F350 OBS. Excuse the front rim, I'm pulling the wheels, stripping them and polishing them a PITA but a necessary evil with the clearcoat.

Shore powered in the side yard. I keep it plugged in and on the truck (unless I need the truck for something else) all summer.

The Lance is for sale, a grand takes it.

SidecarFlip, can you PM me? I'm interested in your Lance. New here and unsure how to navigate and PM etc.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:40 AM
wvabeer
More Turbo
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip
Kenny....

How is that in a cross wind or passing an oncoming truck on a 2 lane at speed? reason I ask is my other camper, a hardside Lance is a hand full even on my one ton and yours is way up there... Just curious. Also, what is behind the tall skinny door on the side in the picture?
Wind has not been an issue. That door is shallow storage which is behind the shower.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:17 AM
wvabeer
More Turbo
One from the rear. I had to ad a step.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:23 PM
gkateley
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Slide-in