Notices

Lets see those slide-ins !

Old 05-31-2018, 02:16 PM
RV_Tech
Post Fiend
RV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputation
I have gone back and forth on whether to put solar on my roof or to use a portable. Advantages each way it seems to me. The pictures look great. We are ready to go again, but will not be leaving to mid-August and then hope to catch some cool. Last year the heat out West crushed up. We had 95 degrees in Glacier. We are doing the Southwest this year, but are wondering how long we can stay out and head up into the Tetons, etc. without hitting too much snow.

Old 05-31-2018, 03:34 PM
SDcrewzer
Posting Guru
SDcrewzer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.SDcrewzer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Smile

Thanks for your comments, Gents!

Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
Nice pictures Jim! Valley of Fire is on my bucket list of places that I want to camp.
VoF is a terrific location! The campground is on some high ground surrounded by a relatively "young" 5,000 year-old lava flow. The dark night sky is stunningly clear! The site in central NM makes if a great launch site to numerous other wonderful places such as White Sands, Oliver Lee State Park, the Sacramento Mountains, the Very Large Array Radio Telescope, Carlsbad Caverns, Guadalupe Mountains NP (TX), and Bandelier National Monument.

It's a popular site and it doesn't take reservations, so I recommend arriving no later than Thursday early afternoon. We arrived on early Wednesday afternoon and the prime spots overlooking the lava beds were already gone. We still liked our spot, however, as there was an outstanding overlook on top the hill behind us.

Originally Posted by Alaskan_Warbird View Post
Looks like fun! I like your idea with the solar panel. Our Host Mammoth camper comes 'solar ready' but I don't want to drill through the roof to mount a panel. It'll probably be next year before I'm ready to add it in but will probably do something very similar to you. Thanks for the pics!
The solar panel provides fabulous flexibility, as we generally don't need hookups. We have two Group 24 AGM batteries (158 Ah total), all LED lighting inside and out, and after-market PWM speed controllers on the vent fans. The 3-way fridge always needs DC for the control system, but it's a light load when the fridge is running on propane. The only phantom loads are the propane detector and the USB charging ports.

Shore power allows us to run the water heater, the microwave/convection oven, and the fridge on AC.

Solar panel output voltage (and power) drops as the cells heat up, so they need ventilation to help cool 'em off and maintain a useful operational voltage when the solar charge controller is in the bulk mode.. Accordingly, I strongly recommend not mounting panels directly onto the roof. I may mount the 123 W panel pictured on the top of our camper, but it will be on Yakima crossbars attached to the top of the luggage carrier rail, which should provide a three- or four inch air gap between the roof and the underside of the panel.

Originally Posted by RV_Tech View Post
I have gone back and forth on whether to put solar on my roof or to use a portable. Advantages each way it seems to me. The pictures look great. We are ready to go again, but will not be leaving to mid-August and then hope to catch some cool. Last year the heat out West crushed up. We had 95 degrees in Glacier. We are doing the Southwest this year, but are wondering how long we can stay out and head up into the Tetons, etc. without hitting too much snow.
Yes, there are pros and cons. It's nice to be able to optimally place the panel (track the sun and perhaps park the camper in some shade), but it's a pain getting it in and out of the camper.

Check ahead for temps in the SW. Normal May average near Palo Duro Canyon is mid-80's, but it was 100F when we arrived at the ranger station, and it was 104F on the canyon floor.

Thanks again!
Jim / crewzer

Old 05-31-2018, 11:59 PM
eightOsix
Junior User
eightOsix is starting off with a positive reputation.
Finally got our new Adventurer camper today that we ordered back in March. Camper weight tag is about #3100, truck payload is #4600.
Have a lot of work to do before leaving for Canada on Sunday including installing a portable solar system and trying to figure how to correct the now intermittent Sirius reception on the truck stereo. Besides all the other move-in projects.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:21 AM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Alaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to behold
Nice setup.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:18 AM
spudthegreater
Senior User
spudthegreater is starting off with a positive reputation.
Heading to Decorah IA for some trout..

F250 4x4 2006 5.4 gasser with 1998/99 Elkhorn 9T off to Decorah IA trout fishing.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:51 PM
MBuckholz
Senior User
MBuckholz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.MBuckholz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
'18 F350XL CCLB 6.2 4.30, '17 Hallmark Guanella, ktm300xc on back

Old 06-04-2018, 06:03 AM
RV_Tech
Post Fiend
RV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputation
Hallmarks still are my favorite looking popup in profile. Looks nice!

Old 06-05-2018, 07:59 PM
stufarmer
Elder User
stufarmer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.stufarmer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by RV_Tech View Post
Hallmarks still are my favorite looking popup in profile. Looks nice!
Mine has always been an Alaskan.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:27 PM
kr98664
Posting Guru
kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.
Just found this section, mostly I wreak havoc over in the '80-86 section. Here are a few shots of our 1989 9' Hideaway on our 1984 F250.

In Oregon's Wallowa Mountains:

Up on Steens Mountain, on Oregon's highest public road at approximately 10,000 feet above sea level:

Stopping for a little coffee break in Clearwater, British Columbia:

A favorite shot, crossing a one-lane bridge in Wells Gray provincial park in British Columbia. Note the gravel truck bearing down behind our truck. My ever-patient wife was not too thrilled when I had her run ahead across the bridge to get this picture:

One last shot, camping by Roosevelt Lake in Kettle Falls, WA, with our trusty '48 CJ-2A in tow:

Old 06-06-2018, 12:48 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Alaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to behold
Looks fun!

Old 06-06-2018, 01:08 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.
Karl, great pictures! Stopping for coffee, my wife's second favorite activity.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:09 PM
kr98664
Posting Guru
kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
Karl, great pictures! Stopping for coffee, my wife's second favorite activity.

The timing of the picture at Tim Horton's didn't work in my favor. "Wait a second, Honey, let me snap a picture before we go inside." Literally seconds after taking that picture, a tour bus stopped in front of the entrance. Like a slow-motion nightmare, approximately 40 little old ladies (for a grand total of 80 sensible shoes) made a beeline for the single stall ladies' room.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:04 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by kr98664 View Post
...made a beeline for the single stall ladies' room.
And there is (to me) my wife's first favorite activity.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:48 PM
_hedge_
Freshman User
_hedge_ is starting off with a positive reputation.
Great pic, I'm heading to Wells-Grey in a couple weeks. I hope I can find that bridge and maybe duplicate your pic.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:21 AM
kr98664
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by _hedge_ View Post
I'm heading to Wells-Grey in a couple weeks. I hope I can find that bridge and maybe duplicate your pic.
It's very easy to find. It's on the main road (Clearwater Valley Road) into the park if heading from the south towards Helmcken Falls. The bridge crosses the Murtle River about 1/2 mile west of Dawson Falls. After the main parking lot for Dawson Falls, the road takes a sharp right and heads down from the bluff to the bridge.

This link should take you to the bridge:

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.9640.../data=!3m1!1e3

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lets see those slide-ins !

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: