Lets see those slide-ins !

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 02:27 PM
Mickey17
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback seventyseven250 & LabCab. I'm running a propane generator in the slide-in. Works great and quite. Plus it runs off the propane supply for the slide-in. So I don't need to carry fuel for it.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:07 PM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by LabCab
Stu,
I don't have the camper on my truck right now, the truck is in Oregon and the camper is at my property in Washington. From memory there is about 3" of clearance between the truck roof and the cab over part of the camper. The clearance over the bed rails to the camper is between 4 to 6 inches.
I know that for my Cousin to load his 10.2 on his new 2017 F350 he had to add a platform of 2x4's and plywood under his bed mat to get the clearance needed over the cab.
So for a 10.2 you will need a platform for sure with your 2017.
They are both GREAT campers and we thought long and hard between the 2, but determined with towing, hunting and off the beaten path dirt roads the 9.6 was a better choice for us.
I have my Northern Lite on my 2017 F350. I just used a standard bed mat and the clearance was not very much, may an inch, between the cab and bottom of the overhead. One time, when I was going down the highway, I hit what I would call a Whoop-dee-doo and the camper slightly slapped the top of the cab. It did not do any damage but last weekend I bought a 4x6 horse stall mat to put on top of the bed mat. I will load the camper later this week for the first time with it in it and I am confident I will not have that issue again.
I think when it slapped the roof of my truck it was just one of those fluke things with the Whoop-dee-doo on the interstate as it has only happened once but I certainly do not want it to happen again.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:48 PM
truckfella
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mickey17
Thanks for the feedback seventyseven250 & LabCab. I'm running a propane generator in the slide-in. Works great and quite. Plus it runs off the propane supply for the slide-in. So I don't need to carry fuel for it.
When we purchased our 811, I was looking hard at 990 just to have the on board generator. During my research, though, I figured that the genny was likely to deplete the two propane tanks in short order. We sometimes boon dock for 5-7 days and obviously running out of propane would be very bad. Also, the propane genny was going to add couple hundred pounds at the worst location - well beyond the rear axle. So, we instead sprung for the 811 and bring our Honda generator when we need it. The Honda can run for 6-8hrs on a single tank whereas a propane genny would, *I believe*, exhaust both propane tanks in that same amount of time.

So anyway, I'm curious for those here that have experience with propane generators- about how much fuel do they consume per hour?

And sorry for the long winded reply.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:56 PM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by truckfella
When we purchased our 811, I was looking hard at 990 just to have the on board generator. During my research, though, I figured that the genny was likely to deplete the two propane tanks in short order. We sometimes boon dock for 5-7 days and obviously running out of propane would be very bad. Also, the propane genny was going to add couple hundred pounds at the worst location - well beyond the rear axle. So, we instead sprung for the 811 and bring our Honda generator when we need it. The Honda can run for 6-8hrs on a single tank whereas a propane genny would, *I believe*, exhaust both propane tanks in that same amount of time.

So anyway, I'm curious for those here that have experience with propane generators- about how much fuel do they consume per hour?

I cannot speak to the propane generator but I wanted to share with you a little modification I did to our Northern Lite this past weekend. I wanted a way to carry a little more fuel for our Honda 2000 generator that just what it could hold on its own. I was standing there looking at the back of the camper one day and thought, if I could fit two, one gallon gas cans underneath the top removable step that would work well. I happened to have two, one gallon cans that I could use. One barrier was that the cans could be no taller than 8 inches as that is the height from the step landing to the bottom side of the removable step.
I then got a thin piece of rubber (they sell them to put over a step coming up into the garage for example) from the hardware store and used double sided tape to secure it to the step landing. It came two feet wide which was perfect and I then cut it to 5 7/8ths deep so it fit between the back of the landing and the friction tape below the step.
Last thing I did was use two nylon straps through each gas can handle and over the top of the step to hold them in place. They actually cannot go anywhere because they are behind the lip of the step. They are out of the way and the removable step still lifts right off after taking the straps off to get to the basement storage.
Easy to do and they are out of the way and now I have extra fuel for the generator.

Name:  GasCanProject3.jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  3.67 MB

Old 09-18-2017, 05:23 PM
LabCab
Laughing Gas
Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
WyoBill,
That is another great idea that I plan to shamelessly steal.....
Thanks for posting!
Pat

Old 09-18-2017, 05:28 PM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by LabCab
WyoBill,
That is another great idea that I plan to shamelessly steal.....
Thanks for posting!
Pat
Pat,
Steal away, that is what's great about sharing on this forum. One thing to make sure when you are looking for gas cans, they can only be 8 inches tall at the max from the base to the very top. I notice as I look around at places that sell them is a lot of them are taller and narrower than mine. I just happened to have two that fit the bill in my garage.
Scott

Old 09-18-2017, 06:59 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts

Rate of consumption is load dependent.

Steve

Old 09-18-2017, 08:13 PM
stufarmer
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I want a new camper so I can play with you guys ..

Old 09-18-2017, 08:57 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Go for it man! We are heading down to the Smokies for a few days starting tomorrow.

Steve

Old 09-19-2017, 09:39 AM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by stufarmer
I want a new camper so I can play with you guys ..
Welll... go getcha one!!! We are taking ours down to the Wyoming/Hawaii game on Saturday and will tailgate out of it in Laramie and then spend the night. Not your typical camping trip for us but why pay for a hotel room when you can use the camper? When I told my wife that she just rolled her eyes!!!

Old 09-19-2017, 02:19 PM
Nodrama
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I am out with this rig for 8 weeks. Elk hunting out of Saratoga WY till the 28th then on to Idaho till mid November.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:28 PM
truckfella
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WyoBull
Welll... go getcha one!!! We are taking ours down to the Wyoming/Hawaii game on Saturday and will tailgate out of it in Laramie and then spend the night. Not your typical camping trip for us but why pay for a hotel room when you can use the camper? When I told my wife that she just rolled her eyes!!!
Oh man, the games between Wyoming and Hawaii in Laramie are so fun to watch because a) the Hawaiians cannot hardly breathe at 7000+ ft elevation, and b) they're usually freezing their butts off! Have fun!

Old 09-19-2017, 02:35 PM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Nodrama

I am out with this rig for 8 weeks. Elk hunting out of Saratoga WY till the 28th then on to Idaho till mid November.
Nice setup Nodrama! Good luck on your hunt!

Old 09-19-2017, 02:36 PM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
Oh man, the games between Wyoming and Hawaii in Laramie are so fun to watch because a) the Hawaiians cannot hardly breathe at 7000+ ft elevation, and b) they're usually freezing their butts off! Have fun!
Yes truckfella, about the 4th quarter those big lineman will be sucking wind for sure. Plus, it is supposed to be raining and colder on Saturday night. Could turn to snow.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:13 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,301 Posts
Originally Posted by Nodrama

The trailer being pulled by the 4 wheeler is that a pop up tent or just like a kitchen/ misc trailer? Looks stout.

Quick Reply: Lets see those slide-ins !