General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Used 4-Wheeler: long term research project

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 01:38 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Used 4-Wheeler: long term research project

I am starting a long term research project in looking and studying my options for a used wheeler next year.
I have ridden Honda for the last 10-15 years and they have served me well, but at times, have left me wanting more.

I own an 03 Rancher 350 (my main ride) and an 03 Rincon 650 (my wife's ride). Hers is just what she uses for trail riding, I use mine mainly for a couple hunting hunting trips a year. My father in law has a fleet of Forman 500's and Foreman Rubicon's. When riding his machines, there is definitely mor low end power than my 350, but I can go anywhere he can. The real edge comes in with his low range and ability to tow a trailer much better.

I have always stayed with Honda because all the horror stories with slipping belts. Recently, while talking with a coworker, he mentioned he has run the Yamaha Grizzly 700 for a few years and a Yamaha 660 prior to that. He runs them hard and they have always done well for him.

I am starting to put money away every month while I research the new breed of wheelers. Have belt driven rigs come that far? From the little bit of reading I have done so far, it seems Yamaha has a pretty solid platform.

My main research will be between the Honda Forman Rubicon, Yamaha Grizzly 550 and the Yamaha Grizzly 700.

I'm looking for opinions and real world experience on any of these machines.

Thanks in advance.