Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Anything special I need to do to remove 460 oil cooler?

Old 02-23-2016, 08:58 PM
Nothing Special
Postmaster
Nothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to all
Anything special I need to do to remove 460 oil cooler?

I'm going to be replacing the water pump and radiator on my '97 F-250 460 this weekend and I think I'm going to get the oil cooler out of the picture while I'm at it. Is there anything special I NEED to do? I've seen threads where people get special fittings and relocate the oil filter. But can I just use a different lower radiator hose and go directly from the water pump to the radiator and leave the cooler in place but with no coolant running through it? Seems like there's still the possibility of a leak, but that would show up as a drop in oil pressure, and at least it wouldn't ingest any coolant.

Is that a bad idea?

Old 02-23-2016, 09:12 PM
wag53
Senior User
wag53 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is the cooler the type that is sandwiched between the block and angle adapter? If so, just remove bolt in angle adapter, then bolt holding cooler on you can then use fl-1a filter.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:20 PM
Nothing Special
Postmaster
Nothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to all
I think that's what it is. I'll take a look at that the next time I can get under the truck (probably not 'til Thursday night)

Old 02-24-2016, 07:54 AM
Nothing Special
Postmaster
And does anyone know what lower radiator hose I'll need? I think I saw somewhere that a lower hose for a '91 460 would work.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:13 PM
Big_Al59
Posting Guru
Big_Al59 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I thought I read in one of the threads about this that the fl-1 wouldn't fit doing it that way. There was a bracket or part of frame in the way, you needed one of the racing style adapters for it to fit. I was looking into it last year when I had engine rebuilt, should've had them do it while engine was out but didn't realize it was an issue. Anyway, if it can be done like you're talking I would like to know. It's cheaper than the way I was thinking of.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:15 PM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
Diesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant future
if you are leaving the cooler, make sure you cap off the coolant passages. That way if it fails, you dont loose your oil

Old 03-06-2016, 02:33 PM
Nothing Special
Postmaster
What lower radiator hose to use?

First my question. What lower radiator hose do I need now that I've got the oil cooler removed? Stock my truck had the lower radiator hose running to the oil cooler, and then another short hose running from the cooler to the water pump. So without the oil cooler I need a single hose to go directly from the radiator to the water pump. Again, my truck is a '97 F-250HD with a 460.

I tried a lower radiator hose for an '89 F-250 with a 460, but that isn't very close. One end is too big, the hose is too long and the bends are wrong. I've seen some threads recommend a hose for a 351. Any particular year? F-250/150/350 matter? Or is there a different one I need

Here are some pics of what I am working with. It doesn't seem to be the kind wag53 was talking about, with the cooler sandwiched between the block and an adapter for the oil filter. It mounts on top of the angle adapter.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:29 PM
wag53
Senior User
wag53 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Should be a 5/8 or 3/4 bolt head in the area I circled in green, this is the thru bolt that holds the angle adapter on, pull that and you should be left with a standard ford filter boss on the block.
Pretty sure the bolt I circled in 2nd pic is the thru bolt.

Last edited by wag53; 03-06-2016 at 04:34 PM. Reason: more info
Old 03-06-2016, 05:16 PM
DeathRangerofDeath
Senior User
DeathRangerofDeath is starting off with a positive reputation.
You take that adapter off and use this one instead, right?

Ford Racing Oil Filter Adapters M-6880-A50 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

This is also on my long list of stuff to do.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:03 PM
Nothing Special
Postmaster
Originally Posted by wag53 View Post
Should be a 5/8 or 3/4 bolt head in the area I circled in green, this is the thru bolt that holds the angle adapter on, pull that and you should be left with a standard ford filter boss on the block.
Pretty sure the bolt I circled in 2nd pic is the thru bolt.
But I don't want to take the stock adapter off. I added a bypass pipe to replace the cooler as far as the oil flow is concerned. Now I'm trying to figure out the lower radiator hose.

And by the way, I found a long-running thread on removing oil coolers that I'm posting this in now too. If people want to let this thread die and respond in the other one I'm OK with that.

edit: click the blue arrow below to go to my post in that thread
Originally Posted by Nothing Special View Post
This thread is in the Big Block forum.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:14 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
eakermeld is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.eakermeld is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Post the link to the other thread please. I could use the info.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:18 PM
Nothing Special
Postmaster
I added it above, but here it is again if you don't go back to look.

Originally Posted by Nothing Special View Post
This thread is in the Big Block forum

Old 03-06-2016, 06:22 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
eakermeld is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.eakermeld is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Did I miss that before? Darn beer goggles!
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...r-failure.html

Old 03-06-2016, 07:26 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder
85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold
Lower radiator hose issue, Older 460s have a 2" pump inlet (1985-early 1990) starting in mid 1990 it was dropped to 1.75" same as the radiator. If you use an early lower hose and a hose reducer bushing from 2" to 1.75" you should have no problem. I will be doing it on my new engine since I want the larger bearings and hub from the 1994-1997 pump but keeping the older air to oil cooler I already have.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:54 PM
Nothing Special
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 View Post
Lower radiator hose issue, Older 460s have a 2" pump inlet (1985-early 1990) starting in mid 1990 it was dropped to 1.75" same as the radiator. If you use an early lower hose and a hose reducer bushing from 2" to 1.75" you should have no problem. I will be doing it on my new engine since I want the larger bearings and hub from the 1994-1997 pump but keeping the older air to oil cooler I already have.
But that hose wasn't close to the right length or shape either. Just like the 351 hose I have now, it wouldn't come close to connecting to both the water pump and the radiator. I don't have a picture of the 460 hose, but here's the 351 hose laid against the front of the water pump inlet. That sets the hose forward a couple inches, but you can see that it puts the other end well outside of the radiator outlet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anything special I need to do to remove 460 oil cooler?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.