Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Anything special I need to do to remove 460 oil cooler?

Old 03-06-2016, 08:47 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder
85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold
Interesting, because I ran all the PNs for aftermarket hoses, and the lower Dayco number is 71215 for 1985-early 1990, and 71533 for late 1990-1997, with the short cooler to pump hose being 71600 NAPA numbers are NBH 8220 through mid 1990 then NBH 8565 radiator to cooler and NBH 8599 cooler to pump for mid 1990-1997. Since I know for a fact the 1986 and late 1990 radiators are the same and even mount the same. I do not see why at least that much should fit. What is the distance between the radiator and water pump hub?

Old 03-06-2016, 09:02 PM
BLK79
Senior User
BLK79 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I removed the oil cooler on my 92 F250 460 4x4. Found a perfect fit lower hose. I'll look for number on it tomorrow if I can remember. Also had to buy a threaded insert from Ford dealer (about $8) which allows oil filter direct to block. No adapters of any kind

Old 03-06-2016, 09:52 PM
Nothing Special
Postmaster
Nothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 View Post
Interesting, because I ran all the PNs for aftermarket hoses, and the lower Dayco number is 71215 for 1985-early 1990, and 71533 for late 1990-1997, with the short cooler to pump hose being 71600 NAPA numbers are NBH 8220 through mid 1990 then NBH 8565 radiator to cooler and NBH 8599 cooler to pump for mid 1990-1997. Since I know for a fact the 1986 and late 1990 radiators are the same and even mount the same. I do not see why at least that much should fit. What is the distance between the radiator and water pump hub?
I'm pretty sure 8220 is the number that was on the NAPA hose for the '89 460, so that matches your info. Still a mystery why it doesn't want to fit.

There is 5.75" between the radiator and the water pump hub on my truck.

Originally Posted by BLK79 View Post
I removed the oil cooler on my 92 F250 460 4x4. Found a perfect fit lower hose. I'll look for number on it tomorrow if I can remember. Also had to buy a threaded insert from Ford dealer (about $8) which allows oil filter direct to block. No adapters of any kind
Putting the filter straight off the block certainly doesn't seem like a good option on my '97, if it's an option at all. There is very little clearance to the frame crossmember. Maybe a very short filter could fit there, but I'm not sure there is a short enough one available. And even if I could get a filter there it would dump right on top of the crossmember when removed, which would make oil changes a disastrous mess.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:53 PM
westcoasting
Senior User
westcoasting is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think there is a long thread in the 385 Engine forum that has a lot of trial and error on this mod. If I recall most people used a lower hose from a similar year 351 engine.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:58 AM
Nothing Special
Postmaster
Nothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to all
Originally Posted by westcoasting View Post
I think there is a long thread in the 385 Engine forum that has a lot of trial and error on this mod. If I recall most people used a lower hose from a similar year 351 engine.
Yes, I'm on there too (and posted a link to it on page 1 of this thread). And I tried the 351 hose (1990 F-250 with a 351). That's the hose pictured in post #15 of this thread. It doesn't fit.

Originally Posted by DeathRangerofDeath View Post
You take that adapter off and use this one instead, right?

Ford Racing Oil Filter Adapters M-6880-A50 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

This is also on my long list of stuff to do.
Sorry, I meant to respond to this before. My plan is to do what Pappawheely did (he has pictures in the thread on the Big Block forum) and put a bypass pipe on the stock adapter in place of the oil cooler.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:37 PM
pat67shorty
Elder User
pat67shorty is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.pat67shorty is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
MOTORCRAFT KM-1662 is supposed to be for 93-97 without oil cooler. It is listed as 1.75 in/out.

More Information for MOTORCRAFT KM1662

Old 03-07-2016, 08:48 PM
Nothing Special
Postmaster
I figured out why the NAPA 7927 (sames as the Dayco 71040 from Autozone) for a '90 F-250 with a 351 didn't fit. It was because of the oil filter in the stock location. Most people who have used that hose had gone to a remote mount oil filter. A few used the Ford racing adapter. I can't say how it would work with those, but I know it doesn't work with the stock oil filter mount.

In the picture I posted on the first page I have the hose in backward. That's the radiator end of it by the water pump. I took the oil filter off, turned the hose around and it fit fine. However it ran directly through where the oil filter would be, so they can't be used together.

I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do now. Short term I might put the cooler back on with the stock hoses. Thanks for everyone's help and I'll let you all know if I come up with a solution.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:37 PM
Nothing Special
Postmaster
Originally Posted by pat67shorty View Post
MOTORCRAFT KM-1662 is supposed to be for 93-97 without oil cooler. It is listed as 1.75 in/out.

More Information for MOTORCRAFT KM1662
According to my NAPA, Motorcraft KM-1662 cross-references to NAPA 8220, which is the hose I got when I asked for an '89 460 hose. It has a 1 7/8" inlet and a 2" outlet, and goes right through the oil filter (see pic below).

It's certainly possible that the NAPA cross-reference is wrong, but I'm thinking that there isn't any hose that's going to work with the oil filter in its stock location.

This is the '89 460 hose (NAPA 8220) with the oil filter removed. No way they work together.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:54 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
eakermeld is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.eakermeld is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

Here's what the setup on an '89 looks like. You can see the factory 90* mount and the hoses coming out going to the cooler in front of the radiator. That's why an '89 hose won't fit your application.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:34 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder
85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold
Not having both the cast iron water to oil cooler setup and either the earlier air to oil and no cooler filter adapters side by side for comparison makes it hard to do a direct comparison, but it appears the water to air rig puts the filter higher up than the other mounts.

Here are some pictures of mine with the earlier cooler setup and the cooler and hoses:

You can see one of the right angle fittings through the adapter access hole.

Here is a picture of the cooler and the lines, the cooler came off a 1988 or 1989 F-350 cab and chassis dump truck, the adapter was pulled off a 1997 F-350 crew cab that some one had apparently stuck a 1988 or 1989 engine in and never got it running.

Here is a picture showing the lines running under the radiator support:

One of the things to keep in mind, Ford did not intend to stuff the 460 in these trucks, when the new lower more aerodynamic body was released for the 1980 model year, the largest engine offered was the 400 which is shorter, narrower and lighter than the 460 and not as tall. As a result when the 460 went in there are a lot of very tight places on both the frame and under hood. Sometime take a look at even the motor mounts, they are not straight across from each other, but are slightly staggered, the left one being further forward than the right, most likely for exhaust clearance.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:45 AM
Nothing Special
Postmaster
Originally Posted by eakermeld View Post

Here's what the setup on an '89 looks like. You can see the factory 90* mount and the hoses coming out going to the cooler in front of the radiator. That's why an '89 hose won't fit your application.

Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 View Post
Not having both the cast iron water to oil cooler setup and either the earlier air to oil and no cooler filter adapters side by side for comparison makes it hard to do a direct comparison, but it appears the water to air rig puts the filter higher up than the other mounts. Here are some pictures of mine with the earlier cooler setup and the cooler and hoses:

These pictures show the oil filter pointing down at an angle. On my '97 the oil filter is almost perfectly horizontal, so basically rotated up from the '98 position. So yes, it is a lot higher (and a lot more in the way of a radiator hose)

Old 03-09-2016, 12:06 PM
rock15t
Senior User
rock15t has a good reputation on FTE.rock15t has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Nothing Special View Post
According to my NAPA, Motorcraft KM-1662 cross-references to NAPA 8220, which is the hose I got when I asked for an '89 460 hose. It has a 1 7/8" inlet and a 2" outlet, and goes right through the oil filter (see pic below).

It's certainly possible that the NAPA cross-reference is wrong, but I'm thinking that there isn't any hose that's going to work with the oil filter in its stock location.

This is the '89 460 hose (NAPA 8220) with the oil filter removed. No way they work together.
On my 97 f250 I just sold I got rid of the 2 piece hose deal too. I just put the 89 radiator hose on and a remote filter adapter where the original filter went. Then I ran the filter behind my bumper.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:40 PM
BLK79
Senior User
BLK79 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I stand corrected. NothingSpecial you were correct. I just went out and looked. I used a 90 degree adapter for oil filter. Lower hose was a Gates, first 3 numbers are 215XX. I was remembering what I did on 2 460 swaps in 79's. Those I used the threaded adapter. Sorry for the confusion. I'm gettin old.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:57 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant
ArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by BLK79 View Post
I used a 90 degree adapter for oil filter. Lower hose was a Gates, first 3 numbers are 215XX.
Gates 21505....

Old 03-12-2016, 04:51 PM
Nothing Special
Postmaster
If you read all of the threads I am putting this in, sorry for the multiple posts. But it seemed worth documenting it in the discussions on both the 460 forum and the '92-'96 forum, and I want it in my "build" thread.

To answer the question I started with in the '92-'96 forum, yes, there are special things that need to be done to remove the oil cooler from a '97 F-250HD 460.

For starters, the cooler does need to be removed, not just disconnected from the coolant hoses. The coolant inlet and outlet necks on the cooler are too much in the way. And once the cooler is removed you need to do something special with both the oil flow and the coolant flow.

It seems to me that there are 4 options (well, really only 3 because option 1 really can't work):
  1. Remove the stock 90 deg oil filter adapter, get a threaded nipple and put the oil filter straight off the block. Then use a lower radiator hose from a '90 F-250 with a 351. But this actually doesn't work because there's no room for the filter between the block and the crossmember.
  2. Remove the stock 90 deg oil filter adapter and put either the Ford racing adapter, or a stock adapter from an earlier 460 (~'91). Those apparently allow you to clock the oil filter low enough to clear the radiator hose. Then use the '90 F-250 351 hose.
  3. Remove the 90 deg adapter and use a remote mount filter, along with the 351 hose.
  4. Leave the stock 90 deg adapter on, make a bypass pipe for the oil, and make a new radiator hose to snake around the filter and steering box. That's what I ended up doing.

So how did #4 go? I started with the oil bypass pipe. I have access to a mill at work, so I put a piece of pipe between two steel blocks that bolts in place of the oil cooler. It attaches and seals the same as the cooler, so that took care of rerouting the oil.

Next was the coolant. I started with the stock '97 460 radiator-to-oil cooler lower hose and another of the hoses I had laying around from my earlier experiments. I used the stock lower hose as-is, attaching it to the radiator outlet as normal and cut a short piece with an angle off the other hose to attach to the water pump inlet. Then I took some 1 1/2" copper pipe and fittings and made a piece that connected those two hoses while snaking over the oil filter and then down between the filter and the steering box. If a picture is worth a thousand words, here are about 6,000:

So with all of that done I changed the oil, filled the radiator and I'm back driving my truck again!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anything special I need to do to remove 460 oil cooler?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.