1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

97 F350 4x4 Regular Cab steering issue after new tires, balljoints & alignment ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 08:59 AM
lee00
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WoodBoss

As for the tires, they are fine I had them for two weeks before the ball joint work and the truck drove fine. They did an alignment supposedly then and sent me down the road for me to find out 2 weeks later the ball joints were shot. I need to distance myself NTB !!!
Any "aftermarket" repair shop is suspect. Its all in the quality of the mechanics they employ and generally the work goes to the lowest paid employee and generally least experienced....

Lets note I have had good and bad experiences at NTB...Good at their salem NH store, Bad at the now defunct Greensburg IN store.

I had a bad experience at the firestone stone here in Cincinnati OH.

So far the local Tire discounters has been good.

One trend I am noticing is that the hack jobs behind the desk (service writers) often know nothing about auto mechanics... or at least very little.

I generally like to talk to the mechanic if possible, Tire discounters is nice as I can generally hang outside the bay watch him work and ask questions to engage him and get solid answers/ opinions...

This asking questions is what caused the issues with Firestone...

With my free floating rear end there is a special socket to release the ratcheting nut that holds the bearings and drums on....their mechanic said he uses a chisel to pound that nut off...essentially destroying it.... yeah...none of my vehicles have gone back there..

Old 02-25-2016, 10:35 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Pkupman82
If you're doing tie rods, before you take anything apart take a measurement of the drag link assembly and wheel to wheel bar assembly. I usually go from the center of the grease zerk on the tie rod end to the center of grease zerk on the opposing side. Write down the measurements and assemble the new parts, adjust them in or out until you hit the magic number.
My trick for this is to buy new sleeves along with the tie rods / drag links / etc., then completely assemble it off the truck. Then drop the whole old assembly at once and set them side-by-side, along with measuring them. Then hang the whole new assembly. If the wheels haven't turned (truck on the ground) in the interim, it should line up good.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:09 AM
WoodBoss
Senior User
Good Points Fellas.

They actually got the old adjustment sleeve off the tie rods and installed a new one. They have to align it and put the some standard zirks back in, hopefully it will be ok and I can get it tonight.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:04 PM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
My trick for this is to buy new sleeves along with the tie rods / drag links / etc., then completely assemble it off the truck. Then drop the whole old assembly at once and set them side-by-side, along with measuring them. Then hang the whole new assembly. If the wheels haven't turned (truck on the ground) in the interim, it should line up good.
Good point there! Yeah if you live in a rust belt state, might as well plan on replacing the adjuster sleeves anyway. By the time you get all the rust cleaned off, you might not have a sleeve anymore! Even the higher end replacements are not terribly expensive. I have used your technique as well, works great.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:24 PM
Bob_T
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ReBilld
<snip>
And, just to throw this out there, Moog products just don't seem to be what they used to. The ball joints don't last near as long as they did years ago. I think their quality has went way down. All I use on my trucks are Spicer or XRF ball joints.
Yes, I've heard that Moog quality isn't what it used to be. Wish I'd heard that before I bought and installed the ball joints... They looked good and the machine work seemed OK.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:26 PM
Bob_T
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by WoodBoss
Good Points Fellas.

They actually got the old adjustment sleeve off the tie rods and installed a new one. They have to align it and put the some standard zirks back in, hopefully it will be ok and I can get it tonight.
Probably too late and I'm not sure it will help much at this point; if it were mine I'd also have them loosen and properly torque the ball joint nuts per Moog's written instructions.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:14 AM
WoodBoss
Senior User
Can that be redone once they have tightened them up? I can do that myself now that I got the truck back. It seems pretty good now that the toe in is in spec. I did not see a link to these torqueing instructions, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Old 02-26-2016, 07:37 AM
Bob_T
Laughing Gas
Like I mentioned in the other post, I'm not sure if it will help to re-torque now. Plus, the symptom of improperly torqued ball joints is tight steering so if your truck is steering OK now that they fixed the toe-in, they were probably torqued close enough. Here's a link. The torque instructions are near the end of the second page.

http://fme-cat.com/livedocs/DYK12_101_ENG-R.pdf

Also, I understand that most alignment shops will give you a computer printout of your before and after alignment specs? Seems like they should provide that so you know what they did and what your caster/camber/toe-in settings are?

Old 02-26-2016, 09:07 AM
WoodBoss
Senior User
Yes I have them. The issue was with the toe in, it is in spec now. The other measurements for caster and camber look good too. Thanks for the info and the link, much appreciated.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:30 AM
WoodBoss
Senior User
I took a look at the ball joint installation instructions. It's highly unlikely they did this since they are really just a bunch of hacks over there, the steering wheel return is not as good as it used to be. Hopefully it will loosen up after a while.