Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Oil leak from the front crank?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 09:57 PM
radmacks
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oil leak from the front crank?

I have developed an oil leak from the bottom of the front crank shaft (front of the motor). How hard of a repair is this? any links to any tutorials? Should I even try this myself? Any special tools required?

Thanks for any help

Old 02-22-2016, 10:35 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,183 Likes on 812 Posts
If its the front seal, easy, remove the harmonic balancer abd replace. If its the oil pan or timing cover removal of engine is necessary.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:42 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Probably the low press oil pump. Install new melling 208. When reinstalling h.b., you'll nee a longer bolt to get ur started, then finish job with OEM bolt

Old 02-22-2016, 11:55 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
A good cleaning is needed to be 100% sure that is where the leak is coming from. Like mentioned above if it is the oil pan or front cover than the engine has to come out in order to remove the pan.

Shot of the front cover with the harmonic balancer still on.

Use an impact with a 6 point 15/16 socket to remove.

Removal tool.

I forgot to get a pic before removing the LPOP but after there harmonic balancer is off remove the 4 bolts and off it comes.

Here is a shot of the LPOP gear on.

Under the water pump you can see the LPOP cover on.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:06 AM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Here is a write up of when I pulled the motor, I think this link should take you to page 7 post 95. This is a step by step process on how to remove the harmonic balancer and getting to the LPOP minus the actual removal of the LPOP which is easy. Just remove the 4 bolts the hold the cover on. If your not going Melling LPOP it has to go on a certain way or major damage to the front cover can happen. The original LPOP will say which way to put on.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-w-pics-7.html

This shows the LPOP going on. The link should take you to the correct page but it is page 10 post 146.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...w-pics-10.html

Old 02-23-2016, 08:54 AM
radmacks
Senior User
thanks for the replies. I will definitely hose it down and verify. I had the oil plan replaced a couple of years ago, so that gasket is newer. I can see it coming from below the harmonic balancer and then gets slung all over.

So if I understand. Remove belt, remove balancer, pop out seal insert new seal reassemble?

Old 02-23-2016, 09:09 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Did you use the IH sealant or Motorcraft? If not that might be problem. Other sealants tend to break down and not hold good to heat, oil, and expansion.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:42 AM
radmacks
Senior User
I had it professional done by a Certified Ford Mechanic. I think it's to high to be the pan.

Originally Posted by z31freakify
Did you use the IH sealant or Motorcraft? If not that might be problem. Other sealants tend to break down and not hold good to heat, oil, and expansion.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:10 PM
radmacks
Senior User
Okay so after much cleaning and scrubbing and watching. The leak is coming from behind the harmonic balancer for sure. How can I get an impact in there to get it off or even a puller for that matter? Is it a matter of just squeezing in there or should I remove the fan and fan shroud? Is the seal under the balancer or does the lpop have to come off too?

Sorry for all the questions.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:25 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The seal is on the outer part of the oil pump. There should be a wear sleeve on the balancer where the seal rides. The wear sleeve should be replaced as well. Before reinstalling the balancer, clean the crank snout and the mating surface on the balancer and put some sealant, preferably Ford TA31, on the key and in the keyway.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:08 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Your probably not going to be able to get an impact on there unless you remove the radiator and possibly the intercooler. You might be able to get a breaker bar on there.

Doing this will stop the engine from turning over.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:25 PM
radmacks
Senior User
Okay so I have the harmonic balancer off. Do I just pull out the old seal and ring from the front? or do I have to remove the lpop housing. I would like to avoid that if I can. Is there a gasket that goes around where the bolts are? or just the o ring on the inside. Sorry for all the questions

Old 03-02-2016, 05:50 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Its better to remove it but you can also do it with it on but you run the risk of damaging the pul pump housing , and yes theres an O ring on the back.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:26 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not just replace the LPOP while you are there? The Melling M208 is known to be a good higher volume upgrade over stock. The oil pumps do wear out, as I have recently discovered.
Your signature doesn't list mileage, but since its an '02, I'll assume there is a decent amount of miles on it. I would at least pull it off and inspect for gear wear. There is also an o-ring behind the pump that could be leaking too.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:38 PM
radmacks
Senior User
I haven't experienced any of the symptoms of a weak lpop. Up in Canada working outside in the snow and just want to get the oil leak fixed. I know it's half *** but this is my only vehicle and I need to get back to work. The oil was falling from the back of the balancer so i'm pretty sure its the seal and not the O ring. I would have to order a new oil pump from the US and wait a week at best. Which I cannot afford.

Quick Reply: Oil leak from the front crank?