Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

Boss 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 09:31 AM
Petrol
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^^ I'm with you on most of what you post . . . except the last part " . . . when you grew up in the days of 435 HP motors WITHOUT all this supercharging and turbocharging, the arguments over todays offerings seem almost comical. After all guys--- truthfully-- the died-in-the-wool Motorheads wouldn't buy a Factory Anything-- and they'd never get excited about 345 HP either."

and the only problem I have with that is the fact that the way automakers are now choosing to rate the engine HP output is very diffeant then it was 30 years ago . . . many of those 1960's engines (few of which were actually rated much over 400HP) wouldn't fair so well measured by todays rating standards . . . much less be able to meet emissions, fuel economy and reliablity/durability requirements . . . special thanks to CARB, CAFE and 100,000+ tune-ups

you also need to remember that the 5.4L is only 330 cubic inches and depending on the actual truck/transmission/etc. delivers approximatily 200 HP to the rear wheels . . .

and THAT is something that stock, run of the mill production (non-special HO/Performance) 'small block' equipt 1960's vehical owners could only dream off . . . and MANY with high performance small blocks could not best.

The fact is that these Modern engine are far better for the daily driven cars and trucks of today then anything that has ever been offered.

Old 10-08-2003, 11:30 AM
ken04
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Petrol
^^^^ I'm with you on most of what you post . . . except the last part " . . . when you grew up in the days of 435 HP motors WITHOUT all this supercharging and turbocharging, the arguments over todays offerings seem almost comical. After all guys--- truthfully-- the died-in-the-wool Motorheads wouldn't buy a Factory Anything-- and they'd never get excited about 345 HP either."

and the only problem I have with that is the fact that the way automakers are now choosing to rate the engine HP output is very diffeant then it was 30 years ago . . . many of those 1960's engines (few of which were actually rated much over 400HP) wouldn't fair so well measured by todays rating standards . . . much less be able to meet emissions, fuel economy and reliablity/durability requirements . . . special thanks to CARB, CAFE and 100,000+ tune-ups

you also need to remember that the 5.4L is only 330 cubic inches and depending on the actual truck/transmission/etc. delivers approximatily 200 HP to the rear wheels . . .

and THAT is something that stock, run of the mill production (non-special HO/Performance) 'small block' equipt 1960's vehical owners could only dream off . . . and MANY with high performance small blocks could not best.

The fact is that these Modern engine are far better for the daily driven cars and trucks of today then anything that has ever been offered.
You beat me to the punch, 260 'REAL' hp, (unlike the factory hp ratings of the 60's and 70's) is quite a bit when you remember that engines now regularly go 200,000 miles. They return gas mileage that a 70's Pinto would be proud of. They run well at sea level and at a mile above. Their service intervals are incredible. They'll run, for the most part on regular, unleaded fuel while spewing out less than a tenth the pollutants their forerunners did. I was sad when Detroit went to low hp, ugly, sticker-queens in the 70's. But history has a way of repeating itself and gearheads will always find a way to be gearheads. This is the most exciting time in history to be a car guy, I mean that. 230 hp, 4 cylinder Dodge Neon SRT's that handle well, stop well, seat 4 or 5 comfortably and return 25 mpg. 2 seat fiberglass Corvettes with 400+ hp that for around $50K can and will run with the high falutin exotics costing 3, 4 or 5 times as much from Europe. Diesel, super duty pick-ups with 325 hp and 550 ft lbs of torque that will tow a 15,000 pound, 400 sq foot fifth wheel that has 3 a/c's, surround sound 42" plasma TV's, dishwashers and even fireplaces. Japanese imports that return 60 mpg from a gas/electric combo engine/tranny that works so well we can barely tell we're driving BILLIONS of dollars of research and development because to us it's just a nice little car that gets great gas mileage. We are IN the glory days of automobiles, right NOW. THIS is it, this IS the good times. Go and enjoy it, our great grandkids will ask; "great grandpa, did you REALLY drive an automoble that you had to put gasoline in every so often ? Wasn't that gasoline made from dead dinosaurs ? Didn't it pollute the air alot ? I just changed my fuel cell cause after a year it was getting low, how did you find time to have to stop once a week and buy gas" ?

Old 10-08-2003, 01:51 PM
gotpez
Freshman User
From reading this thread, the concern about the lack of HP in the F-150 Boss is based mostly on the price as compared to the Lightning.

From the looks of it, the Boss has a body kit very similar to the Lightning. It has a special paint scheme, 20 inch wheels and some other appearance items. Most of these items would have a small premium over what is in the Lightning, but I don't know the costs of them individually.

The Lightning retails at about $33,500 and the Boss at $37,500. I fail to see what the Boss has that is worth $4,000 more than the Lightning. I personally like the looks of the Boss, but from my view it seems overpriced.

If I am missing something here, please let me know.

Old 10-08-2003, 02:18 PM
Petrol
Elder User
^^ Then you made the right decision for you in your Lightning purchase . . . congrates on having selected the Fastest production truck that you can buy (certified by Guiness World Book of Records)

Old 10-21-2003, 01:07 PM
Wicked Child
New User
Good point regarding all the advances, and I agree with you for the most part. ( The HP ratings have been reported so many different ways over the years that unless its on a Dyno who knows the real # ) And granted- the technology today is top shelf and quite amazing- but I still stand behind cubic inches-- regardless of whats been done to a small block. Just an opinion- thats all.
I can't help that I was lucky enough to ride in a Shelby 427 Cobra when I was young- and sorry guys-- regardless of HOW they rated horsepower back then-- go ahead and bring on the TechoCharged WonderWheels of today -- hope they have a Genie in a Bottle to get their Wish of beating that monster--- cause it simply AINT gonna happen. L M F A O.

Old 12-28-2003, 08:21 PM
Phoenixx469
New User
F 150 Boss 5.4

Can anybody that owns or knows about the Boss 5.4 f 150 please tell me what type of runningboards/groundeffects they have installed on them. All I can find out from a dealer website that it is "Streetwise lower cladding" I am unable to find this anywhere on the internet and I am really interested in finding this info out. any info would be much appreciated!

Old 07-03-2017, 05:52 AM
Matthew Bottorff
New User
BOSS 5.4

Originally Posted by O.L. FAULKNER ( LUCKY )
I NEED SOME INFO ON THE 2003 BOSS 5.4 , I HAVE AN ORANGE BOSS 5.4 2003 , HOW MENY WERE MADE , WHAT IS THE HORSE POWER , THE TRANS. ANY INFO AT ALL WILL HELP
THANK YOU
LUCKY
​​​​​​
Well in 02-03 there were 500 of there trucks made and all of them are numbered with a BOSS Owners club no. On the inside of the door. My brother has no. 43. There were some more made in 05 and i know they are all extended cab and there are 50 yellow ones and idk how many more other than that. Im trying to find out more about the 05 model but not much luck. Hope this helps.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:24 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Bottorff
​​​​​​ Hope this helps.
I would think the matter is moot and no longer relevant since this is a 14 year old thread.

Stewart

Old 10-19-2017, 10:15 AM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by ken04
You beat me to the punch, 260 'REAL' hp, (unlike the factory hp ratings of the 60's and 70's) is quite a bit when you remember that engines now regularly go 200,000 miles. They return gas mileage that a 70's Pinto would be proud of. They run well at sea level and at a mile above. Their service intervals are incredible. They'll run, for the most part on regular, unleaded fuel while spewing out less than a tenth the pollutants their forerunners did. I was sad when Detroit went to low hp, ugly, sticker-queens in the 70's. But history has a way of repeating itself and gearheads will always find a way to be gearheads. This is the most exciting time in history to be a car guy, I mean that. 230 hp, 4 cylinder Dodge Neon SRT's that handle well, stop well, seat 4 or 5 comfortably and return 25 mpg. 2 seat fiberglass Corvettes with 400+ hp that for around $50K can and will run with the high falutin exotics costing 3, 4 or 5 times as much from Europe. Diesel, super duty pick-ups with 325 hp and 550 ft lbs of torque that will tow a 15,000 pound, 400 sq foot fifth wheel that has 3 a/c's, surround sound 42" plasma TV's, dishwashers and even fireplaces. Japanese imports that return 60 mpg from a gas/electric combo engine/tranny that works so well we can barely tell we're driving BILLIONS of dollars of research and development because to us it's just a nice little car that gets great gas mileage. We are IN the glory days of automobiles, right NOW. THIS is it, this IS the good times. Go and enjoy it, our great grandkids will ask; "great grandpa, did you REALLY drive an automoble that you had to put gasoline in every so often ? Wasn't that gasoline made from dead dinosaurs ? Didn't it pollute the air alot ? I just changed my fuel cell cause after a year it was getting low, how did you find time to have to stop once a week and buy gas" ?
I know this thread is 14 years old, before I had grey hair, but just look at the numbers we were impressed with then. Look at the numbers today. Where will we be in 15 more years?

Old 10-26-2017, 06:07 PM
Blurry94
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
I can't tell how long it has been since I've seen a Boss 5.4 on the road.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:44 PM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I know someone that has one, but it’s never on the road and sits right next to a red second gen lightning that’s never on the road, sitting right next to a 04-08 king ranch with a supercharger that is daily driven. The orange boss is actually his wife, and she just thought it was pretty. I’ve seen it out 1 time in the last 10 years or so.