6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2015 6.7 low fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 09:28 PM
Travis Hall
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 6.7 low fuel pressure

I know it's posted a few places but I have a reoccurring problem. Whenever my truck goes below 100 miles of remaining range the low pressure light comes on. Within 10 miles the reduced engine power comes on.

First time at 11k miles, at the dealership for 4 days, test fuel filter for crystalization, tested the diesel fuel, checked for leaks and then reset the codes and gave it back to me. Said it only popped the code for low bank 1 pressure.

Now 12,800 miles, driving home from work. 87 miles remain on range, pulled in a gas station and the low pressure light comes on. Threw 25 gallons in it and made it about 15 miles. Currently sitting in a Walgreens parking lot waiting for a tow truck with the low engine power light on. They will only tow it halfway to my house to a dealership since I am out of road side assistance range.

Circumstances right now, its 65 outside so it's not gelling like many other people. I can here the pump running and it spooled up real high when I tried to restart it but did not fire. Grabbed the code reader and it had 8 general codes all for low fuel bar pressure.

Pretty happy that I dropped almost 60k on a truck that hasn't even made it a year yet and not even 13k miles on it

Old 02-20-2016, 10:15 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Hi Travis, welcome to FTE!

I'm going to move this to the 6.7L forum since it's an engine specific issue. Sounds like you have a problem with the fuel pickup in the tank or maybe your low pressure fuel pump.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:19 PM
Travis Hall
New User
Thanks Tom

Originally Posted by Tom
Hi Travis, welcome to FTE!

I'm going to move this to the 6.7L forum since it's an engine specific issue. Sounds like you have a problem with the fuel pickup in the tank or maybe your low pressure fuel pump.
Funny thing is the first dealership said they checked everything, I hope it's something that easy to repair.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:44 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Please let us know what happens.... Obviously something is wrong and needs replacing. Not that I am all knowing, but I haven't heard of going low in fuel and getting a reduced power message. I normally keep my tank more than 1/2 full on my 2015. Mainly because it's so cold out here and the temps change drastically that I am afraid of condensation so I keep the tank filled up.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:54 PM
Travis Hall
New User
I will update as soon as I find out

Originally Posted by Dakster
Please let us know what happens.... Obviously something is wrong and needs replacing. Not that I am all knowing, but I haven't heard of going low in fuel and getting a reduced power message. I normally keep my tank more than 1/2 full on my 2015. Mainly because it's so cold out here and the temps change drastically that I am afraid of condensation so I keep the tank filled up.
Its on its way to the dealership now, slipped the tow truck a few extra bucks so it will be closer to my house. I live in Southern CA so weather shouldn't be an issue. On thing I forgot to mention was the low pressure light came on and the low fuel light did not come on since I was between 1/4 and E. Of course no service at the dealership until Monday so I probably won't hear anything for at least a few days

Old 02-21-2016, 06:59 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
sounds to me like now that will be replace the low pressure pump or taking the tank off to look inside.

Mine (a 2013) does not indicate the fuel warning till 40 miles to empty. So it is reasonable that you didn't get a low fuel warning for the tank.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:45 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had this happen to me on Thursday. So first thing to do is change fuel filters, sometimes they don't seal and cause air to get in the system I think it's the o ring that gets dried out or just doesn't seal properly. There is a YouTube video on how the pump sounds when there is air in the system. Second check for leaks, check the low pressure fuel pump, its on the frame rail it's part of the filter, with truck running check carefully around the pump for small leaks, I think mine is leaking because I see stains on the transfer case. Check the fittings by the filter under the hood.look for small leaks or even evidence of fuel spraying, there were complaints on earlier models with faulty fittings. I am going to replace the pump myself, $253 on Amazon and can be done with basic hand tools in probably 30 minutes. I might even carry a spare pump but will definitely carry an extra filter kit. I don't like my truck at the dealer for days when I can do it myself in a very short period of time.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:00 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
To Travis, as well as all other 6.7L truck owners, may I suggest you all read this article, titled "Fuel Additive Bottle Caps":

Diesel Technician Society

I, a Ford dealer technician as well as a current 2016 F-250 6.7L owner made the very mistake described in the article referenced above. It was extremely embarrassing happening to me as this on a weekend while I was out running an errand. As humiliating as it was, having to arrive at my workplace with my truck on a flatbed tow, thankfully the fix turned out to be the very thing referenced above. So the moral of the story is? Those of you running fuel additives, more specifically the Motorcraft PM-22 and PM-23 additives, be careful not to allow the bottle cap cardboard disc fall into the fuel filler as I happened to be dumb enough to do, evidently. Since then, I now have five individual jars that I separate each new bottle of product into, ensuring that I don't repeat this mistake again.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:44 PM
Travis Hall
New User
Dealership

Originally Posted by dualwheels66
I just had this happen to me on Thursday. So first thing to do is change fuel filters, sometimes they don't seal and cause air to get in the system I think it's the o ring that gets dried out or just doesn't seal properly. There is a YouTube video on how the pump sounds when there is air in the system. Second check for leaks, check the low pressure fuel pump, its on the frame rail it's part of the filter, with truck running check carefully around the pump for small leaks, I think mine is leaking because I see stains on the transfer case. Check the fittings by the filter under the hood.look for small leaks or even evidence of fuel spraying, there were complaints on earlier models with faulty fittings. I am going to replace the pump myself, $253 on Amazon and can be done with basic hand tools in probably 30 minutes. I might even carry a spare pump but will definitely carry an extra filter kit. I don't like my truck at the dealer for days when I can do it myself in a very short period of time.
The only reason it's at the dealership is the low mileage and warranty. If it has to go back again I can lemon law the truck since it's a safety concern when your doing 70 on the freeway and it basically jumps into limp mode without much warning

Old 02-22-2016, 09:48 PM
Travis Hall
New User
Checked all my bottles

Originally Posted by m-chan68
To Travis, as well as all other 6.7L truck owners, may I suggest you all read this article, titled "Fuel Additive Bottle Caps":

Diesel Technician Society

I, a Ford dealer technician as well as a current 2016 F-250 6.7L owner made the very mistake described in the article referenced above. It was extremely embarrassing happening to me as this on a weekend while I was out running an errand. As humiliating as it was, having to arrive at my workplace with my truck on a flatbed tow, thankfully the fix turned out to be the very thing referenced above. So the moral of the story is? Those of you running fuel additives, more specifically the Motorcraft PM-22 and PM-23 additives, be careful not to allow the bottle cap cardboard disc fall into the fuel filler as I happened to be dumb enough to do, evidently. Since then, I now have five individual jars that I separate each new bottle of product into, ensuring that I don't repeat this mistake again.
I checked the bottle of 22 that I have open cardboard still in it, well was still in it. Dealership called today, can't figure it out. I sent them photos of all the codes I found and photos of the warnings on the dash. They said they can't find the problem and are talking with Ford (again).

Old 02-22-2016, 10:23 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Travis Hall
I checked the bottle of 22 that I have open cardboard still in it, well was still in it. Dealership called today, can't figure it out. I sent them photos of all the codes I found and photos of the warnings on the dash. They said they can't find the problem and are talking with Ford (again).
But how many times have you run this additive (translation being how many bottles)? The cardboard disc may still be in the present bottle, but how about previous ones? If you read the article in the link provided above, it was actually another tech who wrote it, while pulling his hair out on a particular truck that kept coming back to him with the same symptoms you described, only for him to be unable to re-create. In a nutshell, once the engine stalled the disc would fall out and settle back down into the bottom again somewhere and life would be good.........until that disc would manage to find its way back to the fuel pickup when the pump is running (sucking) almost completely obstructing fuel flow again.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:27 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Travis, I am under warranty too but I can't afford to have my truck sitting at the dealer for days for a simple repair. It seems every time I bring it in it sits for days. I really hate that. So I do things myself.