Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

IH Up Pipes, HPO lines, fittings and more

Old 02-20-2016, 08:12 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IH Up Pipes, HPO lines, fittings and more

Well I have been squirreling away parts for over a year now and I have been putting off installing them.
Well now I need to get the truck dailed in for a 3000 mile road trip in about 6 weeks.
I have a set of slightly used E99 IH up pipes, E99 DieselSite plenum reinforcements, OEM HPO lines and head fittings, coolant filter kit, Trans filter remote mount, Heatshield for fuel line, Orings, Sony head unit with NFC and a 12v panel for the back seat. I might be forgetting something.

Here is some of the parts that needed to be installed. Since I have been waiting for almost a year for them to install themselves....

And this is a 12volt panel with cig lighter, 2/USB and meter that is going to be installed in the back seat. Actually it will be mounted under the back of the center console/ jump seat bottom. This way my wife and daughter can plug in stuff in the back.
I am using a piece of teak and finishing with Epifane varnish. This Epifane varnish is made in Holland is the best varnish I have ever used on teak. It is the only product I use on boats when refinishing wood.

Long story ..short I tried making some homemade bellowed up pipes with FelPro donut gaskets. What a waste of my time !!!!
Actually not a total waste of time because now I just need to weld flanges and they will work.
So lesson learned... Donut gaskets S#@!! Or you can say blow!
"TOTAL FAIL"

After searching High and low about 1.5 yr ago I found a set of used E99 up pipes on a T444E and they were in great shape. As you look at the photo you can see I used Copper gasket spray on all exhaust flanges. Now I have used this copper gasket stuff in the past with good results. But the last time I had the turbo out of Blackie I didn't use it and I played hell getting the baby butt/ turbo clamp off and get the turbo to come loose from the baby's butt. I ended up getting Medevil to get it apart! I even scratched and chipped my compressor housing paint.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:32 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Nice! Can't wait to see your progress

Old 02-20-2016, 11:21 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't you hate it when they don't install them selves! Looking good!!!

Old 02-21-2016, 09:00 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
I just looked up this thread for someone else. It has my uppipes experience in it, with pics

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ng-stupid.html

I try to add different angles and tips or problems I had.

The NUMBER ONE things I suggest BEFORE removing both uppipes is to compare and mark which one is driver and passenger side

Looked simple enough, I compared to the pic in the writeup I was using, undid *my* connection and switched it as it was hard to tell if I mixed them up or whatever, had to switch back.

The angle on the collector to turbo connection is really odd. Things didn't line up as I thought they did. Pay special attention to this angle, it will help.

Another problem that cost me hours was I tried to do it without removing the turbo. Don't try it. It ALMOST works, but the way the Ex is dimpled at the firewall, it cannot align with the turbo installed.

And don't be LAZY like I was- remove the sleeves from the intake plenums! I didn't and trying to get the turbo out, I broke the connector off the EBPV solenoid on the pedestal

I used a couple of different VERY LONG (up to 24", I think) extensions and a knuckle on the driver's side. It just fit in the area to access the top flange bolts from underneath.

An impact gun is helpful. I had to break out the Bign' with adapters for breaking loose the top flange bolts (use stubby wrench above)

1400 ft-lbs and lots of mass to save the wrist

Hope this helps!

Old 02-21-2016, 09:44 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Scott my Dad use to say " Wish in one hand and poop in the other and see which one fills up first."

EXPaCamper thank you for your insight. Last night I was trying to remember how I did it the last time I had everything apart.
But I forgot..... I even checked my old posts on the subject and I just didn't bother to say what , where and how. Now old age is getting the better of me or maybe it was the 70's & 80's I killed too many brain cells....
What were we talking about??????? Oh Yea I will post up what worked for me on the up pipes when I get to that. Just so down the road I'll know what I did.

Last night I installed my new HPO lines from RiffRaff and the HPO fittings that go on the heads. Now my T500 had the new style HPO fitting in it and I just rebuilt the oem HPO head fittings when I installed the T500. Now that I am installing the new style HPO lines I wanted to make sure that all fitting were the new updated design fittings.
Thanks for the torque specs Pikachu
HPO Line Fitting on head torque spec 19 ft/lbs

Old 02-21-2016, 05:05 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Someone once posted here that the IH up pipes need to be bent to make their way around the frames on our trucks. I am curious to see if you have any issues there. All looks good there, especially that docking station.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:08 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
I knew I forgot to add something to the list I had almost forgot about the BD billet 9 blade compressor wheel. Also I forget to order a compressor housing O ring !! OOppss So I ordered that and a couple other spare Orings from Bob/ Diesel Oring today. So I took the turbo apart and compared the WW again the BD billet 9 blade and it is 3mm taller then the WW. Mind you I did do my homework and researched on what would work best for my needs. I had gotten some positive feedback on a stock 9 blade from FrankO who runs a E99. I tried to figure out the mapping of my E99 turbo with a 1.0 turbine housing with the help of the brotherhood I came up with I need to move more air at a lower drive pressure.
Then Brother Roland sold me this NEW billet DB 9 blade for a very fair price.
Thanks Brother !
So we'll see how it works out for me. But I think for 90% of the driving I do I am SURE it will be improvement over the stock WW. Keep in mind I run stock tunes, injectors and drive like an old man. The real test will be this summer when I am towing my boat or something heavy in the mountains.
Or if I ever get some tunes.

BD billet 9 blade compressor wheel #1047001

E99 Turbo in pieces

Now all I need to finish the turbo is the E99 compressor housing Oring.

I wrapped the fuel line with Thermaflect Tape by Heatshield and it is made in the USA. I have never liked the fact that the fuel line is sitting next to up & down pipe with the turbo turbine on the top. Personally I don't care about the other fuel line and normal engine heat.
It might be overkill but it keeps my OCD at bay .

Like I said my only concern is the the rear fuel line and I also feel that the heat is what can cause early failure of fuel line sleeve on the back of the head.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:43 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Here is a photo of the E99 plenum inserts from Diesel Site.
RiffRaff did not make any for the E99. I have done everything I can now to hopefully NOT have a boost leak.
Finger's crossed

Now when it came to installing my USED 98 IH up pipes and turbo I ran into issues getting the baby's butt and turbo together. The flange was to high, what I think the issue was is the bellows were extended alittle. So after 3 tries to mount the collector to the turbo I ended up pulling the turbo and up pipes out of the truck. Then I used my weight to push down on the up pipes to make them alittle bit shorter by about 1/8" or 3/16" inch and that made all the difference in the world. So after reinstalling everything again with the up pipes loose I was able to get it together after a couple more tries. I was swearing up a storm about the stupid GTP collector set up.
Next time I have to deal with the turbo I am going to a T4 set up with a S300 series turbo since it is SO much easier to work on.
Mind you this time makes the 3rd different E99 turbo combo on Blackie.
So here is what I have this time 1.0 w.g.turbine housing, E99 1.10 compressor housing,TurboMaster wg, BD Billet 9 blade.

Now you are going to not believe this but I did a Mobil 1 oil change on my truck for $26 !!
That Right $26...... Well a couple years ago some of you might recall Auto Zoo had Mobil 1 TDT 5w-40 on clearance sale.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...bil-1-tdt.html
I paid $1.00 /qt and the M1-601 oil filter I used my Perks reward and paid $10 so for a Total of $26 !!

Mobil 1 TDT 5w-40 & M1-601 and incase I forget I changed it at 223573 miles.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:14 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,180 Likes on 811 Posts
Looking good, your trip is going to be epic with all those mods

Old 03-01-2016, 09:33 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BadDogKuzz

Are you still using the factory boots that go from the spider down to the plenums?

Old 03-01-2016, 09:38 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,180 Likes on 811 Posts
Judging by post #8 pic #2 no looks like Riffraffs maybe?

Old 03-01-2016, 10:45 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
Mobil 1 TDT 5w-40 & M1-601
Uh-oh. Bad news about that kind of oil. It won't work in the E99's, you'll have to pack it all up and send it to ME!

LOL!

Ok, I'm kidding (have to put that in here for folks who google search this later).

BTW, if you were cursing while installing the baby's butt to the turbo, you were doing it right- I hear it helps, LOL.

Looking good so far, keep it up! Can't wait to hear about your results

Old 03-02-2016, 07:21 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,426 Likes on 2,834 Posts
Looking good Ed, you will soon see the fruits of your labor just as I did. I look forward to driving my truck, even more than I did before doing all of the mods to it.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:26 AM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Received 587 Likes on 318 Posts
Great information!

Old 03-02-2016, 12:22 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are you thinkin' doin' all this great work with all this time to spare? Everyone knows you're supposed to wait until a couple days before ya leave, 'cause projects ALWAYS go smoothly that way!

Looks great Kuzz, good luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IH Up Pipes, HPO lines, fittings and more