1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New Garrett 38R, What happened to the sweet shifting noise?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 05:11 PM
AlexHunt
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Garrett 38R, What happened to the sweet shifting noise?

Hey everyone,
I have a 2000 F-250, stage 1 injectors, KN intake, exhaust, new garrett 38r turbo,foil delete and php chip. After putting in the new turbo my truck doesn't make the sweet shifting noise anymore (Darth Vader noise?), all it makes is the constant whistle noise, which I was expecting. My girlfriend put a dp tuner in her truck which made the shifting whistle of her 6 speed way loud. Would a Dp tuner allow me to get that noise, or does the Garrett 38R not allow my truck to make that noise anymore? Please help I want that sound back, lol!

Old 01-22-2013, 06:22 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 278 Likes on 141 Posts
The 38R will sing a beautiful and consistent song to you whenever she is spooled. The Darth Vader sound is no more, instead he's been replaced by a sweet siren singing her beautiful siren song. Matter of fact, I'm about to leave work and go listen to mine sing to me right now...

Btw, did you remember to tighten down the the wastegate before you put it in? They come unreasonably loose from the factory...

Old 01-22-2013, 07:16 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
For what its worth... jeff t and i were discussing that "sweet shifting noise" over the south tx tech weekend... we feel like the noise is actually surge... and not so sweet.
Your shin new 38r is a surge eliminating beast. Hence the sound is now gone...

I have tightened my wastegate to open at 32psi. Which leads me to believe the noise is surge...
My wastegate actuator selonoid does not operate my wastegate... red line id plugged onto a cac boot clamp. With the current toon on Motorbug... i peak at around 27psi... so my wg in theory should never see enough pressure to open...

Oh yah... and

HI GUYS!
Im still alive! Lol..
Currently up in bastrop doing some construction stuff. Im staying at the bastrop state park in the 5er.

Internet here is spotty and i have to be in proximity to the pool complex to get my fte fix.

Ok... hijack relinquished...

Old 01-22-2013, 08:08 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Shifting noise? Sounds like a stall to me. If so, you really didn't want that. Take one of those toy cars (size that you can palm) that winds up by rolling it backwards, then it takes off when you let it go. Wind the car up and lift it off the ground. That harsh spin-down noise is similar to the turbo "bark" or stall.

Either that or I'm talking out my **** because my toys are too cheap.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:46 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 278 Likes on 141 Posts
I may be wrong on this, but submitted for you approval...

The 38r is a ball-bearing turbo which means there is no thrust bearing. It spools up and down much easier than the stock turbo could or ever would. It easily and quickly adjusts to however much fuel is pushing it almost instantaneously.

The stock turbo has to take time to spool up and quickly releases pressure once you let off the accelerator, hence the Darth Vader sound. Due to the design of the 38R, it can maintain more consistent boost pressure MUCH better than the stock turbo. Hence no Darth Vader sound...you're left with a consistent turbo whine instead.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:20 PM
caedo
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you really want the darth vader sound back (idk if this is still true with the 38r) but just loosen your down pipe bolts and have your exhaust just come straight out your turbah!
My bolts vibrated out once and the down pipe still fit snug on the turbo outlet, but when I got on it, the pressure would push it away from the outlet. It was like Darth was breathing down my neck every time i let off of the skinny. New bolts and I fixed the "dark side" real quick.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:34 PM
AlexHunt
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will an ATS Compressor intake housing eliminate the darth vader noise too?