Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Clicking from axle or driveshaft at 10-40 km/h vibrations at 50-110km/h

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 10:11 AM
pat420swed
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also pulled the top u joint out on the rear driveshaft and the bearings in the one cup were dust... Looks like I'll be getting new u joints as well

Old 02-21-2016, 11:57 AM
pat420swed
Senior User
Originally Posted by pat420swed
I also pulled the top u joint out on the rear driveshaft and the bearings in the one cup were dust... Looks like I'll be getting new u joints as well
Well grinder kicked back while cutting out the seized u joint and now I've been sitting in the hospital for four hours waiting for stitches, good start to the week lol

Old 02-21-2016, 01:54 PM
pgg00
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well that sucks. Now you have to work with an injury

Old 02-21-2016, 04:19 PM
pat420swed
Senior User
Originally Posted by pgg00
Well that sucks. Now you have to work with an injury
Yes stupid me, I should've been wearing gloves , turns out I cut right through the tendon on the back of my thumb and had to have minor surgery and will be in a hard cast for at least a week, lots of time to get the parts I need I guess

Old 07-02-2016, 02:42 PM
The_Josh_Bear
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aww that sucks, hope you heal up good as new.

As for the rear diff-- take this for what it's worth:
First off this is for the 10.25 rear, not sure if yours is the same, but I walked into a driveshaft shop after hours and got the grumpy old guy that knows more about these old axles than I know about anything, haha. He talked about he crush sleeve and how there was a cool mod to get rid of it because eventually they all loosen up, however his advice was to torque it back up and run it, as most commonly that works just fine.
But the spec is 500 ft/lbs, gotta get a 5ft long bar and stand on it(if you're around 200lbs like me).
Edit: my math sucked last night, should be 100lbs on the end of a 5ft bar. Or stand on a 2.5ft breaker bar, etc.

That was around 3-4 years ago and some 30k. No issues that I know of. I run Schaefer synthetic gear oil too which may help.
The big thing he said that loosened it up, and how I discovered it, was the rearmost U joint pooping out on me. Didn't get after the joint fast enough.
I also tow a 4k trailer with my pickup for around half the miles it drives.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:31 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When I was 12 I cut my MCL in my left knee with a 9" body grinder.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 07-03-2016, 01:14 AM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Josh_Bear
He talked about he crush sleeve and how there was a cool mod to get rid of it because eventually they all loosen up, however his advice was to torque it back up and run it, as most commonly that works just fine.
But the spec is 500 ft/lbs, gotta get a 5ft long bar and stand on it(if you're around 200lbs like me).
Having recently done this mod, I have a couple of things to say:
First, the main reason to do the crush sleeve eliminator or replace the crush sleeve is to keep the pinion to ring gear pattern meshing tightly. If you tighten the crush sleeve down too much(as you would do when you effectively "re-use" the old one), you end up with more slop between the two gears.
There are supposed to be reasons why you have to have things tight etc, or else your gear wear will be all off etc... but the main reason in my mind is that if you have too much clearance, you will have a clunk between accelerating and decelerating, just due to the slop.

I ended up using a crush sleeve eliminator(effectively a pack of shims) and a set of shims for the carrier to tighten up the gear pattern on my truck. I reduced the clearance quite a lot, and probably did something wrong in doing so... but as it isn't getting hot while driving, and has less clunking than before, I guess it worked.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:37 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by The_Josh_Bear
Aww that sucks, hope you heal up good as new.

As for the rear diff-- take this for what it's worth:
First off this is for the 10.25 rear, not sure if yours is the same, but I walked into a driveshaft shop after hours and got the grumpy old guy that knows more about these old axles than I know about anything, haha. He talked about he crush sleeve and how there was a cool mod to get rid of it because eventually they all loosen up, however his advice was to torque it back up and run it, as most commonly that works just fine.

That was around 3-4 years ago and some 30k. No issues that I know of. I run Schaefer synthetic gear oil too which may help.
The big thing he said that loosened it up, and how I discovered it, was the rearmost U joint pooping out on me. Didn't get after the joint fast enough.
I also tow a 4k trailer with my pickup for around half the miles it drives.
5 ft bar x200 lbs=1000 ft lbs.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:12 AM
The_Josh_Bear
Elder User
Originally Posted by bashby
5 ft bar x200 lbs=1000 ft lbs.
Thanks bashby! My bad. Post edited. Got too much to do to be doing math at night, haha.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:20 AM
The_Josh_Bear
Elder User

Originally Posted by Macrobb
Having recently done this mod, I have a couple of things to say:
First, the main reason to do the crush sleeve eliminator or replace the crush sleeve is to keep the pinion to ring gear pattern meshing tightly. If you tighten the crush sleeve down too much(as you would do when you effectively "re-use" the old one), you end up with more slop between the two gears.
There are supposed to be reasons why you have to have things tight etc, or else your gear wear will be all off etc... but the main reason in my mind is that if you have too much clearance, you will have a clunk between accelerating and decelerating, just due to the slop.

I ended up using a crush sleeve eliminator(effectively a pack of shims) and a set of shims for the carrier to tighten up the gear pattern on my truck. I reduced the clearance quite a lot, and probably did something wrong in doing so... but as it isn't getting hot while driving, and has less clunking than before, I guess it worked.
While I agree with all that, and would rather have fixed it correctly, at the time $300-400 vs tightening a nut was a big difference for me financially.
And talking about the clunk/slop, most of it that I had was eliminated by re-torqueing the nut.
They key(as understand it), is to NOT "re-crush" the sleeve. Since the factory spec was 500-600ft/lbs, going to the lowest good spec was what he suggested to achieve all that.
Unlike you I was way too timid to tear open my diff, having heard of such a high failure rate and not owning a dial caliper nor knowing anyone locally that's done them before for help.
Hope yours works great for a long time!