6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

EGR Delete-Blocking Plates or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 07:12 PM
turbinefix
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR Delete-Blocking Plates or Not?

Hello, I've heard that we don't have to do anything with the EGR system after programming a "delete". I've also heard that blocking plates should be installed with the elbow. Any opinions? Thx, Tony

Old 02-18-2016, 07:32 PM
CrazySob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Deleting the coolers all together with an intake elbow has a lot of positives.

First is you don't have all that heat from the exhaust cooking the living crap out of your coolant. The egr system on these trucks is a big part of why the gold coolant degrades so fast.
Second you alleviate the air flow restriction at the intake if you throw the intake elbow in there. The egr valve restricts air flow a lot causing the rear 2 cylinders (7&8) to run hotter.
Third without the coolers you don't have to worry about one rupturing and hydro locking the motor (and in many cases cracking/lifting the heads).
Fourth you clear a lot of clutter out of the engine bay as well as A LOT of heat.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:02 PM
genotac-f250
Freshman User
Originally Posted by CrazySob
Deleting the coolers all together with an intake elbow has a lot of positives.

First is you don't have all that heat from the exhaust cooking the living crap out of your coolant. The egr system on these trucks is a big part of why the gold coolant degrades so fast.
Second you alleviate the air flow restriction at the intake if you throw the intake elbow in there. The egr valve restricts air flow a lot causing the rear 2 cylinders (7&8) to run hotter.
Third without the coolers you don't have to worry about one rupturing and hydro locking the motor (and in many cases cracking/lifting the heads).
Fourth you clear a lot of clutter out of the engine bay as well as A LOT of heat.
CrazySOB is the man! I'm just waiting on the weather to clear and a good stretch of off days to start my delete with elbow!

Old 02-22-2016, 09:24 PM
turbinefix
New User
Thx CrazySob...

I will follow your advise! You seem to have a very good grip on the diesels!

Old 02-24-2016, 12:10 PM
JcF204
Senior User
Making me wonder, I am deleting this weekend but have not bought a EGR delete kit yet. This is changing my mind though

Old 02-24-2016, 09:04 PM
CrazySob
Senior User
There is no need to jump and cut out the coolers right away... I never advise leaving them in place forever, but it won't hurt to turn the egr valve off via tuning and then getting to the delete when you get a chance.

The one good thing about a 6.4 over a 6.0 IS the oil cooler design. Or rather the coolant passages. The coolant flow for the egr coolers comes BEFORE the oil cooler. This means that unless you run low on coolant you won't restrict flow to the egr coolers. It is actually a rare occurrence that a cooler will rupture on a 6.4 unless you let coolant get low... They clog quite regularly, but catastrophic failure isn't common. But if your tuner turns the egr valve off who cares if the cooler clogs lol...

Still, plan to get rid of them though.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:13 AM
JcF204
Senior User
I bought the Spartan. I have read that I can turn the EGR off in the settings. I am going to run the 210TP tune.

Is there any harm in letting the EGR cycle? Or is it a waste of time? The default from Spartan is to leave it on.

Thanks,
Joe

Old 02-25-2016, 02:10 PM
CrazySob
Senior User
Mine is shut off, H&S cycles it, and Spartan has the option to. It really doesn't matter if you plan to delete it anyway. It only cycles it at idle if I remember correctly so there is really no use.

When you run with the egr system disabled you really have to worry more about the egr coolers clogging. Without proper flow of exhaust through them its going to happen in short order.

I would just shut it off and plan to delete the coolers/valve all together when you get time.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:57 PM
JcF204
Senior User
Originally Posted by CrazySob
Mine is shut off, H&S cycles it, and Spartan has the option to. It really doesn't matter if you plan to delete it anyway. It only cycles it at idle if I remember correctly so there is really no use.

When you run with the egr system disabled you really have to worry more about the egr coolers clogging. Without proper flow of exhaust through them its going to happen in short order.

I would just shut it off and plan to delete the coolers/valve all together when you get time.

Great thank you for the quick response. looking forward to Saturday!

Old 02-26-2016, 05:54 PM
WyoBlueF3
Junior User
what about using the blocking plates? Will that stop the exhaust from filling the EGR coolers and thus heating up the coolant AND plugging them up with soot?

I have the valve shut off but nothing else done to it. I do have blocking plates, just not installed. Is it worth putting them in?

I really do not want to remove the EGR coolers as someday I will be trading it in and would not want to have to put them back on, at the same time, I do not want them plugged up while sitting there with exhaust gasses swirling around inside em.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:54 PM
CrazySob
Senior User
Yes... I would put them in, if for some reason the coolers do rupture it can save your motor.

Like I said, it isn't as common on a 6.4 to have one rupture as it was on 6.0s. That said, when it does happen it is quite common to crack a head and or blow head gaskets(and hydrolock...)... Just food for thought.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:04 AM
WyoBlueF3
Junior User
I've also heard that blocking plates should be installed with the elbow.
Is this a pretty easy task to install the blocking plates and what it this "elbow"? Is that something required when putting the plates in? I guess I was thinking that on the top side, by the egr valve, you would just slip a blocking get plate in there between the valve apparatus and the cooler. I'm not sure at all bout the bottom one.

Old 02-27-2016, 05:18 PM
CrazySob
Senior User
The intake elbow replaces the stock intake elbow that houses the egr valve and the "throttle body" that doesn't do anything but limit air flow (generally only active when its cold or at the beginning of regen).

The passages in the egr valve are very small and limit the amount of air that gets into the intake manifold. That lack of air increases cylinder temps in holes 7 and 8 (there is a theory out there that this lack of cooling boost is a big factor in those slugs cracking).

Old 02-29-2016, 05:52 AM
genotac-f250
Freshman User
Finished mine yester day. Took me 10 hours, now coolant replacement, and lost the steering shaft bolt. Have to go find one. Anyone know the bolt size?

Old 02-29-2016, 01:18 PM
WyoBlueF3
Junior User
Thank you for the help on this, Matthew. In Genotacs pic, I see he has deleted the cooler and has the elbow. Is there a different elbow than that? that would be used if the cooler is not deleted and just using the block off plates? Sorry to be a pain. I am just trying to wrap my mind around the elbow included with a block off plate.

I must say, that blue elbow looks a whole lot better than the ugly ol square EGR cooler!

Also, Genotac... do I see that right? do you vent your CCV to atmosphere? I tried that and the smoke and stink caused me to give up on that idea. (well, my wife had a big part in that decision ) I have the stuff to route it through a filter, just have not got around to putting it in.

Quick Reply: EGR Delete-Blocking Plates or Not?