03 Escape - P1744 and slip

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 01:18 PM
tismon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Escape - P1744 and slip

After multiple problems with this vehicle already, it's about time that I made an account.

We have a 2003 Escape XLT with around 150k on it, and are now having transmission issues.

It's slipped some when cold and starting from a full stop and sometimes rolling stop, when trying to accelerate. Basically, it acts like it's in neutral until the gears "catch up". Once it's warmed up, it's fine even on steep hills.
Also, going in reverse seems to act normally oddly enough.

We were hoping to get through winter as it was since it was easily manageable, but yesterday the O/D light started flashing and we have the pending error P1744. Nothing happened when the error came on including the normal slip since everything was warm at the time.

We'd of course, love to avoid completely replacing the tranny, but I'm mostly learning as I go with this one. Any ideas on where to start narrowing out possibilities?

The fluid was changed when we first got the escape about four years ago and is still at the right level and clear/red.

Thank you

Old 02-18-2016, 09:03 PM
jk080
Transmission Rebuilder

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
You are describing a low fluid condition, was the fluid level checked with the engine running?

The 1744 code is for TCC excessive slip, this problem usually happens when hot and slipping or no converter apply in the higher gears. This can be a bad converter or a worn out valve body or both. It won't be the cause of the cold slipping issue.

These vehicles are know for bad MLPS switches, but again I see it when hot, but worth a look, it can cause crazy shifting issues. Best checked with a scanner with data capabilities.

Any other codes? engine codes?

Old 02-19-2016, 06:45 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 873 Likes on 725 Posts
I'd go with a worn out valve body that supplies insufficient hydraulic pressure to the TCC clutch which allows the TC to slip. Once the TC slips a few times, it's probably ruined. You'll also need a new valve body (or a repair to the one you have installed).

The MLPS won't cause this particular issue. It usually causes random incorrect gear selection symptoms when it starts to flake out.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:59 PM
OwenTheRed
5th Gear
Need help with 01 Tribute (escape) v6. When shift lever in reverse it doesn't reverse, and when in neutral it goes forward. When driving i only have 1st gear. Switched out the neutral safety switch and it didn't make a difference. When shift lever on transmission in neutral, the neutral safety switch doesn't line up. When shift lever on trans in drive, the bolts line up on nss to indicate neutral. Fluid level fine.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:14 PM
jk080
Transmission Rebuilder

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by OwenTheRed
Need help with 01 Tribute (escape) v6. When shift lever in reverse it doesn't reverse, and when in neutral it goes forward. When driving i only have 1st gear. Switched out the neutral safety switch and it didn't make a difference. When shift lever on transmission in neutral, the neutral safety switch doesn't line up. When shift lever on trans in drive, the bolts line up on nss to indicate neutral. Fluid level fine.
You should be able to get reverse regardless of what the NSS is reading.

These things are known for bushing failure that allow the drums to crash into the pump stator. This can cause a no reverse and can apply forward all the time.

Pull the drain plug and check its magnet, if there is a lot of debris it's more than likely done.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:50 PM
OwenTheRed
5th Gear
Escape transmission

Drained 5 quarts of trans fluid, put in a bottle of trans x and new mercon v to correct level, and got the transmission shifting through all forward gears. Aligned NSS so the dash shows correct gear, but still no reverse, and revving engine in park doesnt rev out past about 2500 rpm. I am debating about doing another fluid drain and refill, but believe what you are saying about something broken inside. I dont think that if it is clean fluid it will ever have reverse, and will get black quickly again. There was no metal particles, but I suppose they could be in the filter. I bought another transmission today for $135 so just need to swap it out. I just wanted to see if new fluid made a difference before I swapped transmissions. Neither the transmission i got from the salvage yard or the one in it want to let the drivers side cv axle pop out easily. Thanks for the help.