Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SES Light, loss of power, probable bad ICP?

Old 02-17-2016, 02:59 PM
Zachsquatch
Freshman User
Zachsquatch is starting off with a positive reputation.
SES Light, loss of power, probable bad ICP?

Hey everyone, I am new to the forums and diesel problems. I started a thread yesterday but the situation has evolved and I need some help.

A few days ago I was driving my 99 f-250 7.3 and the SES light came on, I tried Autozone to pull the codes but no luck. I started noticing a loss of power, the rpms would rev up but it had very little umph.

So I dug into some troubleshooting today and did a check on the 42 pin connector and all the injectors are coming in around 2.5-3 ohms, does this rule out a UVCH or should I still consider that a huge suspect?

I am currently stuck in Fort Smith Ar but all my tools are in Hot springs so I am kinda screwed, I need to get back to Hot Springs soon and preferably with a truck capable of hauling my camper which needs to be moved.

I am stressing out pretty bad and would really love some advice and guidance on this, thanks in advance to everyone.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:48 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
scotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to behold
Those ohms sound fine to me.

Does it fill like you'r starving of fuel?

Old 02-17-2016, 04:15 PM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Unplug your ICP connector and see how that treats you.

If that doesn't get it, buy some canned air (like for cleaning computers), invert the can, and spray the IPR coil. This cools the coil.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:53 PM
Zachsquatch
Freshman User
OKay so I dug in a bit more, I pulled the driver side valve cover off and checked everything in there, it's all tightened down to spec now and while I was in there I noticed one of the electrical connectors wasn't plugged in, I believe to the glow plug in cylinder #2 so I plugged that back in.

I bought a ScangaugeII and fired the truck back up while the valve cover was still off and the SES light is still on so I checked codes and the scangauge says no codes found, so I cleared it and the SES light turns off and then back on, I am stumped. I know I probably lost the codes when I unhooked the battery but then the light comes back on for some reason?

As far as starving for fuel, I am not sure? It's possible I got some bad fuel, in fact I remember now that you mentioned it that I had just bought some from wal-mart (ugh) just a little while before I got the SES for the first time.

I will give your suggestions a try Tugly.
(Edit) Could the ICP trigger an SES light but not leave any codes?

Last edited by Zachsquatch; 02-17-2016 at 07:00 PM. Reason: I'm dumb
Old 02-17-2016, 11:53 PM
Zachsquatch
Freshman User
So I programmed the ScanGauge to give me the ICP. With the ICP plugged in it idles at 727, with the ICP unplugged it idles at 727. I am guessing this means a bad ICP. When I ran it unplugged I saw little to no difference, if anything the power loss was a bit worse unplugged.

I also programmed the IPR duty cycle which never got very high even on the highway.

Thoughts? Should I order a new ICP?

Old 02-18-2016, 12:33 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
ExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant future
Maybe pull the plug on the ICP and give it a good cleaning, check to see if there is any oil in the plug of the sensor.

When unplugged, it should give a calculated ICP value from the PCM, effectively bypassing the ICP. But if the plug gets oil in it, that can cause some issues, too.

How much fuel is in the tank? Our tanks have known problems with the intank screens clogging after a while. Do a search on "Hutch Mod" for some more info, see if it sounds like your trouble?

Old 02-18-2016, 12:38 AM
Zachsquatch
Freshman User
I cleaned the plug and put it back and it is still acting the same as when it is not plugged in at all. There was no oil in the connector area, it was dry.

I have about 3/4 of a tank in it right now which is why I haven't dropped the tank to check if it's clogged, I'll look at the hutch mod a bit more in depth.

Old 02-18-2016, 01:10 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
ExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant future
Check back a little on the wiring of the ICP. There are a lot who replace the pigtails. I've done it myself when I found a chaffed wire.

Look to see if it's chaffed or damaged. Since the ICP doesn't seem to be working....

Old 02-18-2016, 03:24 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
A warm truck should idle with an ICP of about 500 and an IPR near 10%. The fact that the ICP rides 700 PSI plugged in or not is a very huge clue - assuming the engine is at operating temperature.

I saw this very thing once before on a friend's truck. In his situation, the SES light was intermittent, as was the gutlessness. We had AE watching things in the driveway and we saw the whole thing happen - the ICP sensor "unplugged itself" and the readings all matched what we would see with an unplugged ICP sensor. He replaced the ICP sensor, but he didn't need a pigtail. Problem solved.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:24 PM
Zachsquatch
Freshman User
Okay so off to get an ICP then. The IPR is idling around 14%, is this a problem that I should look into as well?

How does one go about changing the name of the thread so I can let people know it is likely the ICP?

Thanks a ton guys, I would have been stuck without your advice! I'm probably going to become a paying member because of your insight.

(Edit) In the light of day I checked out the ICP a bit more, it looks as though this is an aftermarket version which may have been the problem in the first place.

Old 02-18-2016, 01:51 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
scotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Zachsquatch View Post

How does one go about changing the name of the thread so I can let people know it is likely the ICP?

Go to Edit than advanced edit and you should be able to change it there.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:01 PM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Okay so off to get an ICP then. The IPR is idling around 14%, is this a problem that I should look into as well?...

....(Edit) In the light of day I checked out the ICP a bit more, it looks as though this is an aftermarket version which may have been the problem in the first place.

We're not out of it just yet. That 14% IPR is normal on a cold engine. If the engine is warm and it's doing that - dud ICP sensor.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:31 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Pikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud of
You say the MIL was illuminated. What were the codes?

Old 02-18-2016, 02:33 PM
Zachsquatch
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Pikachu View Post
You say the MIL was illuminated. What were the codes?
I tried to check the codes for the SES but it never showed any, I am baffled by that.

It runs right around 14.5% IPR with the engine warmed up.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:39 PM
Tugly
Post Fiend
I tried to check the codes for the SES but it never showed any, I am baffled by that.

It runs right around 14.5% IPR with the engine warmed up.
Our trucks are non-OBD compliant, so it takes a scanner that can read J1850 PWM protocol just to talk to the truck. The fact that you can get IPR and ICP but not codes is a bit confusing. Usually you can get codes before you can get live data....

Everything points to a lame aftermarket ICP sensor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SES Light, loss of power, probable bad ICP?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.