6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Is anyone strictly particular about where they buy their gasoline?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 07:03 PM
82_F100_300Six
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Is anyone strictly particular about where they buy their gasoline?

Since we are not buying diesel maybe we can have a little less anxiety but now that its gasoline does it matter? I think regardless of which refiner's name is on the signs it all comes from a commingled pipeline where multiple origins are putting in. Maybe some places are purely one big name or small name. With this new truck I was thinking about maybe searching out Chevron for the techron or dosing with Yamaha ring free perhaps albeit would be extremely small doses!
Is there a safe place to buy gas or is it all the same?

Old 02-16-2016, 07:39 PM
Homerunking2394
Senior User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The cheapest price has the best gas!

Old 02-17-2016, 03:36 AM
ATP Pilot
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Top Tier is my first choice.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers/

Old 02-17-2016, 05:54 AM
allagash350
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not too particular. I go to Cumberland farms because I have their smart pay and save 10 c a gallon. I like she'll gas, but not for any real reason.
Only thing I do is if I see the tanker there refilling I will wait or go somewhere else

Old 02-17-2016, 06:23 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Do not add extra stuff (chemicals) to a new or low mileage (a few years old) engine..

additives reduce gas mileage.. increase heat in catalytic converter, can do harm over time to O2 sensors.

they are for low cost cleaning/repair to a sick system.

and Never add cleaners to motor oil.. (engine oil flush)

as for brand of Gas... Name brands...
each station can order Gas with or without additives... but Name brands stations need to follow corporate orders. and there blend.
my opinion.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:59 AM
RightWingNutJob
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I stay with the big name brands when traveling, and avoid the Mom & Pop, no-name gas stations.

Years ago, I had gotten in trouble on two occasions when I used a no-name gas station. Apparently, they either bought a load of crummy gas on the spot market, or they weren't on the ball when it came to monitoring their in-ground tanks. I ended up stuck on the side of the road after I pumped about half gas/half water into my gas tank.

The first time I'd paid with cash and didn't keep my receipt, so I paid for repair. 2nd time, I used a credit card, and the station stepped up and paid to have my fuel tank dropped/drained and the fuel system cleaned out.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:50 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Top tier is the way to go.
In 2005 I commuted between West Virginia and Arlington, VA every weekend in a 1996 Grand Cherokee. I would leave Arlington and fill up at the Exxon station near my apartment. A full tank got me all the way to my destination with 1/8 tank left over. When it was time to go back I would fill up at the local Go Mart station. I always had to stop for gas an hour out from Arlington. I did this for a year and it worked the same every time. When I replaced my fuel filter I was amazed at all the black junk that came out.
Since then I have only purchased BP or Exxon (top tier in my area).

Old 02-17-2016, 09:38 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
I use whatever is the cheapest at the time if they are a high volume station, the only one so far that I stay away from is Sunoco. I use no additives because unlike a diesel you just don't need them with a modern gas motor, I've put 100s of thousands of miles on modern gas motors with no additives in the gas or oil and never had a engine failure. With the 6.2 the only difference I can tell between gas fill is the mileage may vary but the motor runs the same.

Denny

Old 02-17-2016, 11:19 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Big difference is the additives added when the gas is put in the truck and how much ethanol it has in it. Frankly I am not big on fancy additives they advertise. All the additives in the world are not going to help you if the gas stations tanks are full of dirt, water and other crap. I'm more concerned about the volume of gas the station sells and how much dirt and/or water is in it.

Run some Techron fuel system cleaner or fuel injector cleaner every now and then to help keep things clean.

My sister has one station in her town that she uses as it is the only station in town. The tanks must be full of dirt and water. I've had to change fuel filters twice in 2 years. The first time the filter was clogged and stopped fuel flow, second filter had water and too much dirt for the mileage driven. That station uses Amerigreen fuel the same as the station I go to. The station she goes to just has tank problems.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:10 AM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I shoot for Mobile or Shell.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:39 AM
Duwop
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My wife claims her mpgs vary based on where she buys fuel, I quess it's possible but personally don't get the correlation.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:25 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
I know in Ohio.. many stations were Forced by the EPA to replace old rusty/leaking storage tanks to the new fiberglass types...

but that has its own problem... as a new installed tank CAN refloat till the dirt/blacktop/concrete has hardened.... so they fill the tanks with water.. till ready for fuel... and not all of the water is removed...

try removing all the water from a 1 gallon milk jug. now think of 5,000 gallons.

also. do not get gas at a station that JUST had a delivery of FUEL.. as this mixes up the water/dirt/rust at the bottom of storage tanks.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:07 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford
I know in Ohio.. many stations were Forced by the EPA to replace old rusty/leaking storage tanks to the new fiberglass types...

but that has its own problem... as a new installed tank CAN refloat till the dirt/blacktop/concrete has hardened.... so they fill the tanks with water.. till ready for fuel... and not all of the water is removed...

try removing all the water from a 1 gallon milk jug. now think of 5,000 gallons.

also. do not get gas at a station that JUST had a delivery of FUEL.. as this mixes up the water/dirt/rust at the bottom of storage tanks.
I'm sorry Chuck but I've been involved in a few new stations and stations that replaced their tanks and they are filled with fuel not water to hold the tanks in place until the concrete cap is cured.

The EPA forced old style tanks to be replaced years ago and all new systems have electronic monitors in place the checks for water 24/7.

Denny

Old 02-18-2016, 12:11 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
at the station I worked at..

fire department from hydrant to new tank..
week later 2 gas powered water pumps and down the street drains...
so in this case it was water..

I understood this was common. buy the crew doing the pumping/draining.

MAYBE NOT.! I have been wrong before and will again. I know what I have seen.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:08 PM
ATP Pilot
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
don't worry, the ethanol will absorb any left over water

Quick Reply: Is anyone strictly particular about where they buy their gasoline?