It's (Vin) Diesel Time - Page 5 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's (Vin) Diesel Time

Old 03-06-2016, 04:19 PM
Postmaster

m-chan68 has a spectacular reputation.m-chan68 has a spectacular reputation.m-chan68 has a spectacular reputation.m-chan68 has a spectacular reputation.m-chan68 has a spectacular reputation.m-chan68 has a spectacular reputation.m-chan68 has a spectacular reputation.m-chan68 has a spectacular reputation.m-chan68 has a spectacular reputation.m-chan68 has a spectacular reputation.m-chan68 has a spectacular reputation.
Keep in mind that the 7.3L redlines at 3200 RPMs. That said, you will want to choose your axle ratio accordingly. It's a bit of a hit, but you need to go with 3/4 ton front and rear axles (8 stud). Failing that, you will tear out your factory 5 stud axles before long. If you've touched upon this subject please forgive me. I am making the assumption that your intention is to achieve a product at the end of the build as though it rolled off the assembly line like that, with some minor mods to personalize of course.

Might I suggest you contact Bruce Amacker to assist you with your project? He is the 7.3L ninja, and wealth of information. His link is here:

TurboTraining - Turbotraining.com

Best of luck with your build!!!
Old 03-08-2016, 08:29 PM
Posting Guru

Bubba Jones has a good reputation on FTE.Bubba Jones has a good reputation on FTE.Bubba Jones has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
Keep in mind that the 7.3L redlines at 3200 RPMs. That said, you will want to choose your axle ratio accordingly. It's a bit of a hit, but you need to go with 3/4 ton front and rear axles (8 stud). Failing that, you will tear out your factory 5 stud axles before long. If you've touched upon this subject please forgive me. I am making the assumption that your intention is to achieve a product at the end of the build as though it rolled off the assembly line like that, with some minor mods to personalize of course.

Might I suggest you contact Bruce Amacker to assist you with your project? He is the 7.3L ninja, and wealth of information. His link is here:

TurboTraining - Turbotraining.com

Best of luck with your build!!!
Thanks! With the axles... I know I'll be driving on somewhat borrowed time until they are upgraded, but I won't be able to afford putting better axles in for quite a long time. If I could now, I'd definitely do that. I'll just have to make sure to not do any clutch dumps anything too aggressive. In fact, I never have even done that with my 302! I think I should be able to get by with daily driving (no towing) and mild 4x4ing until I can save up for better axles!

I don't have any picture updates yet! I was going to take some but I was too busy tearing things apart. I don't know how many hours I've spent cleaning... I would say maybe 24 ACTUAL hours. I'm still not done, but I'm very close. I decided to bite the small caliber bullet and go ahead and change the oil pan seal and timing cover seal instead of leaving them in place. I didn't really want to take things apart that far because I was worried I'd just mess something up since I'm unfamiliar with whats behind the timing cover and spend too much money on extra seals. However, I'd really hate myself if there was a leak on the oil pan or timing cover and I didn't change it now.

I'll say, that RTV type stuff used on the pan/HPOP reservoir is some super strong stuff by the way! I had to get a hammer to tap the reservoir off, and I bent the lip of the oil pan. It's not bent too bad, so I'm REALLY hoping I can slightly tap it back into place, and/or use extra sealant when I go to reseal the pan.

I've tried looking up tips here and there when taking this apart, but there really isn't too much out there for that! I've read tons on my 302 and also the Camaro's 305. I suppose these motors aren't worked on as much by the backyard mechanic for people to make as many walkthroughs! I thought I could skip a step and keep the front main seal cover (it's bolted onto the timing cover) on the timing cover to pull it off because the front main seal is in great shape. However, after pulling it off, I see the front main seal cover is housing some weird gear mechanism that slides over the crankshaft and started leaking a bunch of oil. I know that would pose a huge issue when trying to reseal things up with the special RTV, so I had to go and take that off as well. I guess that weird planetary gear type thing pumps oil to the oil cooler or something. Anyways, it luckily has a rubber gasket which should come in the timing cover kit I ordered so it's no big deal to replace that. I still think I'm going to keep the front main seal in place since It's still in good shape. Worst case, it looks like something somewhat easy to replace with the engine in the truck.

I should be getting in some O-rings to replace the HPOP lines ones and fuel pump and bowl stuff tomorrow so I'll be working on that. Then my sealant for the oil pan and those timing cover gasket should come in Thursday. Once I have those back on, I'll paint the engine! If I get done replacing the O-rings early tomorrow, I'll probably work on cleaning my ZF5 and t-case to paint them as well! They just have some dirt on them so I think I quick power wash will get them mostly ready for paint. It's just that they are pretty damn heavy to around so I haven't had the motivation to do that yet.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:24 PM
Posting Guru

Bubba Jones has a good reputation on FTE.Bubba Jones has a good reputation on FTE.Bubba Jones has a good reputation on FTE.
Just an update.

I'm basically done enough for cleaning the engine. It could use more cleaning, but it's been greedy enough with my time so I'll leave it how it is. I dropped my exhaust (manifolds/up pipes/collector) to get ceramic coated (black was the only color that would hold up well to the heat that they had for ceramic), ordered a water pump filter kit ($330 ), ordered a super-duty oil cooler to replace mine, and am about ready to start resealing the engine. All my seals that I'm doing came in today so I just have to actually put it back together.

After I seal it up, I'll throw some paint on it! I'm hoping I can get the fuel bowl/ HPOP, and engine resealed today, and throw paint on the block!
Old 03-11-2016, 06:07 PM
Post Fiend

UP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud of
Little by little, you're making progress!
Old 03-13-2016, 09:50 PM
Posting Guru

Well... my spring break ended up resulting in me doing a bunch of stuff for everyone else each day. It is nice to help my friends and neighbors out... but I am a little disappointed that I didn't get to do much at all with my project.

I did end up resealing the oil pan, dipstick adapter, and timing cover. I also got around to painting the engine as well. I used some spray on engine enamel with ceramic, as well as the engine enamel clear coat so I'm hoping it will work well.

I'm going to try and see if I can reseal the front cover on the HPOP now, then bolt it back up. Hopefully I can get around to cleaning/resealing the fuel bowl and oil lines tomorrow then bolt everything back up.

Again this is what the engine looked like when coming out:

You can't really see how dirty it really was, but it was a gobbed in so much junk.

And here it is after I painted it:

It looks a little nicer with the stainless steel valve cover bolts I bought. I'll see how it looks when I get the HPOP, fuel bowl etc all back on. I want to paint the turbo pedestal and housing as well. I'm not sure if the turbo exhaust housing will hold up well to the 500 degree paint, but I suppose it won't hurt painting it now while it's off. I don't know if I want to paint my new water pump that's coming in either or leave it the metal look.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:38 PM
Posting Guru

pgg00 is a name known to allpgg00 is a name known to allpgg00 is a name known to allpgg00 is a name known to allpgg00 is a name known to allpgg00 is a name known to all
It's looking good
Old 03-15-2016, 12:39 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgg00 View Post
It's looking good
Thanks!

I ran into a bit of bad news today.... I finally had a little bit of time to get some more work done today and installed my HPOP. Well after browsing the forums today, I saw there are differences between the 1995 HPOPs and 96+ ones. I remember seeing what mine looked like and noticed it's not for a 95. Basically, the HPOP reservoir will drain down without the proper HPOP.

So I just ordered that for 500 bucks..... I think I'm done buying parts now, I'll have to resort to need to buy only from now on out.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:32 AM
Posting Guru

pgg00 is a name known to allpgg00 is a name known to allpgg00 is a name known to allpgg00 is a name known to allpgg00 is a name known to allpgg00 is a name known to all
Ouch. That's why i like my IDI. Much cheaper
Old 03-20-2016, 10:25 PM
Posting Guru

So I took a break this weekend and headed to my family's cabin in Heber with a few friends. It was a nice change of pace and the weather was perfect up there! My Bronco chugged along just fine up the hills with some luggage and two other people. I did have to shift into 3rd a few times to pass a few people up the the steeper hills but that was no problem! I can't wait to see how it performs when the powerstroke is in it compared to the 302!

We spotted a tree growing on a rock too, it was pretty weird:

So I wasn't able to get much done on the motor for the weekend, but I did a little before and am finishing up for the night!

My ceramic coated exhaust was finished and I picked it up. It's all matte black but looks pretty good. I'm hoping it will help spool up the turbo a little faster, but if not at least it looks better and should keep engine bay temps down! I also picked up some blue fel pro chevy up pipe gaskets to replace the stock ford ones that were on there.

My reman cardone HPOP came in, so I managed to install that, as well as replace the oil line o-rings on the engine. My new water pump with the built on coolant filter came in as well so I just finished putting that on. The engine is getting close to complete!

I'm going to finally work on replacing my fuel bowl seals, and hopefully get that and the fuel pump installed tomorrow. Then I'll paint the turbo pedestal/turbo and plop that with the rest of the exhaust on.

I still want to rebuild part of the turbo, but I'll have to see where to get the parts. The HPOP set me back a few bucks so I can't afford to do much more now than required maintenance items. I'm hoping it's not too bad to rebuild, or maybe I'll just replace the inlet turbine but I suppose I'll find that out this week!
Old 03-21-2016, 07:47 PM
Senior User

Bruners4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I really like the picture of your Bronco out in the hills. Reminds me of when I was living in Glenwood, AZ and going to school in Deer Valley.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:59 AM
Junior User

aaronbob is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
I still want to rebuild part of the turbo, but I'll have to see where to get the parts
riffraff diesel is a great place to get 7.3 parts. highly recommended in the 7.3 forums
Old 03-22-2016, 10:22 AM
Senior User

Thunderhorn is starting off with a positive reputation.
That Powerstroke looks killer painted like that. I wish i could be there the first time someone is checking out your truck, looks under the hood, and gets really confused why it looks so strange... Then it hits them and they flip out in excitement! maybe that would just be my reaction though.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:33 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorn View Post
That Powerstroke looks killer painted like that. I wish i could be there the first time someone is checking out your truck, looks under the hood, and gets really confused why it looks so strange... Then it hits them and they flip out in excitement! maybe that would just be my reaction though.
Haha yeah I would be super excited if I saw another diesel bronco.

I got a bit more work done finally. The engine has been collecting dust sitting outside next to our pine tree.... I kinda wipe it off now and then but it's going to get dusty eventually when it's installed....

Anyways, here are the update pictures:

I got the water pump with the coolant filter isntalled, the new HPOP, both accessory brackets, the ceramic coated exhasut up to the turbo installed, the fuel bowl/lines resealed and installed and the fuel pump installed.

I also painted the turbo and installed a new wheel. I don't image the hot part of the turbo paint will hold up for very long, but I figured why not paint it while it's out.

Here is what my old wheel looked like:

I really hope that the internals of the engine are okay... I've seen worse dusted turbos online, but this doesn't look too great..... The new turbo wheel looks great though!
Old 03-23-2016, 08:52 AM
Michigan Chapter Ldr

Toyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputation
Nice work. I like the attention to detail
Old 03-24-2016, 10:45 AM
Post Fiend

UP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud of
That turbo wheel does look a bit frazzled, but I've seen worse for sure. The main thing that is important, is not having any play in the shaft, that means a turbo is about done....