Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Batteries for my 7.3l

Old 02-15-2016, 01:19 PM
gtadim
Junior User
gtadim is starting off with a positive reputation.
Batteries for my 7.3l

I've been reading the various posts here on batteries, but I guess I just can't seem to wrap my head around it. why do I have to change my batteries in my Excursion every two years? I've been using the Costco batteries like a lot of the posts mention, but I just can't seem to get more than two years out of them. Costco customer service is starting to question me as to why, saying something doesn't seem right. But I'm not sure that if I switch to Optima's or Motorcraft or Diehard that they'll last any longer, and around here those batteries are quite a bit more expensive than the Kirkland brand.
I noticed my truck wasn't startng with "authority" like it usually does, so I cleaned the terminals and tested the batteries with my load tester and CCA tester. They tested good. They both had a voltage reading of 12.84V, so I reinstalled them and the truck seemed OK until today. When starting it this morning, it stared but it was a weak sluggish kind of start. I think it's the batteries but I'm not sure. Could it be something else? New alternator 8 months ago, starter replaced about 2 years ago. Any suggestions? Thanks, George

Old 02-15-2016, 01:25 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
scotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to behold
Do you have any accessories that are causing a draw when the truck is off?

Do you know what the voltage is from the alternator when the truck is running?

If your around 12.8 volts from the alternator it's not doing a good job charging the batteries and could be a ground issue.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:25 PM
binuya
Posting Guru
binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.
If you're getting a good load test, it's sounding like either a weak connection somewhere or your starter. I'm going on 7 years on my Costco batteries, and they're just now showing signs of weakening.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:47 PM
BillyBob69
Post Fiend
BillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to behold
I would have to agree with everyone else... loose connection. or bad alt.
Mine after 6 yrs is still putting out 14.1V I run the Duralast Golds on my truck and I just changed them last month after 5yrs almost to the day.
If connection doesnt do it...then you can always put a meter in-line on one of the positive battery cables and note how many amps are being pulled.
If it seems high, then start pulling fuses one at a time until you see the amperage draw decrease. That will at least narrow down which circuit to look at for a voltage drain issue.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:19 PM
crop harvester
Posting Guru
crop harvester has a very good reputation on FTE.crop harvester has a very good reputation on FTE.crop harvester has a very good reputation on FTE.crop harvester has a very good reputation on FTE.
12.8v with engine off & surface charge removed is good,with engine running around 14.1,may need to load test batteries

Old 02-15-2016, 04:36 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
where did you get the alternator?
my bet is the alternator is not up to sniff.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:41 PM
mjtpolice76
Senior User
mjtpolice76 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My interstate batteries just crapped out after 4 years just ordered new 160 amp alt I think the plow is killing them

Old 02-15-2016, 06:03 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
i have a custom built 240 amp alternator on my 02 because of the plow, air compressor, and strobe bar. at full draw i need 185 amps.
but i very rarely have everything running.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:58 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Colorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud of
I agree with everything said above. I'll add do NOT switch to Optima batteries their quality has suffered dramatically since moving operations to Mexico. I've had 3 fail in the last 17 months, 2 red tops & 1 yellow top, all were in Jeeps. One red top died after 4 months!
I'm running Diehard platinums in my 7.3l & Jeep. Bombproof batteries with outstanding warranties. Heat kills batteries and diesels create heat...

Old 02-15-2016, 07:04 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Don't overlook the starter as a contributing factor. Problem is, once you get the aftermarket parts, they never seem to last as long as they should.

My guess is both the alternator and starter are contributing factors from being in a borderline condition.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:27 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
aawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tjc transport View Post
i have a custom built 240 amp alternator on my 02 because of the plow, air compressor, and strobe bar. at full draw i need 185 amps.
but i very rarely have everything running.
Alt-zilla!!

Old 02-15-2016, 09:25 PM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Don't forget to look at the other end of the battery cables. I ohmed mine out and I had a bad ground to the engine on the driver-side battery.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:16 PM
Bently_Coop
Post Fiend
Bently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputation
I think you definitely need to look over the wiring and see what is going on.

Nicmike posted these below in the Excursion forum.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...tor-eater.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ternators.html

Old 02-16-2016, 06:05 AM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Tugly View Post
Don't forget to look at the other end of the battery cables. I ohmed mine out and I had a bad ground to the engine on the driver-side battery.
I would like to hear more about ohming out the ground on the batteries. Can we determine that the battery ground connection is 100% with an ohm test? I figured that we could get a good ohm reading but still have a bad connection because the contact area is so big.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:05 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge
Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.
It should be zero ohms from end to end.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Batteries for my 7.3l

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.