Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Batteries for my 7.3l

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 06:03 PM
GEugeneS
Laughing Gas
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
Gary, try unplugging the radio next time you leave the truck sit.
i went nuts looking for a parasitic draw in my 2 99 crown vics, 97 grand marquis, 2000 F350, and the 2002 F250.

Thanks Tom. I am going to try it!

Old 02-22-2016, 06:58 PM
BDalton
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I replaced both batteries with recommended Interstate batteries about 2 years ago. I noticed in the last few months it seemed to turn over slower. Had to let it sit about a week and went to start and the wipers "wiped" and nothing happened when I turned the key. Set it up on a charger overnight and started it the next day and went on my way. It went a week again without being driven, and I had the same no start result. Out of curiosity I popped the tops off the batteries. All the cells on the passenger side battery were dry, and half of the driver side cells were dry! I topped both batteries off with acid, charged for three days and it started like a champ. But...again, after a week...no start. I haven't dug into it any further, just wanted to suggest you pop the tops and see if you might be battling dry cells in your batteries.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:14 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Batteries are topped off with distilled water, not acid.

10.5 volts usually means a shorted/reversed cell. Battery is done.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:28 PM
BDalton
Senior User

Originally Posted by Tedster9
Batteries are topped off with distilled water, not acid.

10.5 volts usually means a shorted/reversed cell. Battery is done.

Ohhh shizzzz... still I wonder why they went dry.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:41 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by GEugeneS

I also have had some trouble with my batteries in the truck and it seems that having 2 in parallel may cause some issues. In 8 years I have had 3 of them "short out", meaning they won't hold a charge

I keep a Harbor Freight "smart" trickle charger on them and when they are in good condition, the charger will keep them about 13.2 to 13.5. I check the voltage weekly now to be on the safe side, but the truck sits a lot, sometimes for a month at a time.

FYI leaving a lead acid starting battery or battery bank on a trickle charger for extended periods without a substantial load every so often allows dendrites to grow between the plates and will eventually short them out. It is known as "mossing" in the battery world. I wondered why my batteries were shorting out after a couple years even though I was using a Battery Tender on them, then I got interested in de-sulfating and did a lot of research. Dendrites begin to grow on every battery during charging, but the relatively high amp draw of the starter motor load knocks them off. It is recommended that a starting load be applied every couple days during trickle charging to keep the dendrites in check. This is why batteries installed in vehicles that are used daily last the longest, provided the charging system is correct.
When de-sulfating a battery in the shop I now apply a load of at least 100 amps for 10 seconds every day or two with a carbon pile.
On my truck I have been using the Battery Tender very sparingly. I will park the truck on Sunday, then wait till Wednesday or Thursday and plug in the Tender knowing I will be starting it on Saturday. So far it seems to be working, my Motorcrafts are going on 5 years now.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:45 PM
GEugeneS
Laughing Gas
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bigb56
FYI leaving a lead acid starting battery or battery bank on a trickle charger for extended periods without a substantial load every so often allows dendrites to grow between the plates and will eventually short them out. It is known as "mossing" in the battery world. I wondered why my batteries were shorting out after a couple years even though I was using a Battery Tender on them, then I got interested in de-sulfating and did a lot of research. Dendrites begin to grow on every battery during charging, but the relatively high amp draw of the starter motor load knocks them off. It is recommended that a starting load be applied every couple days during trickle charging to keep the dendrites in check. This is why batteries installed in vehicles that are used daily last the longest, provided the charging system is correct.
When de-sulfating a battery in the shop I now apply a load of at least 100 amps for 10 seconds every day or two with a carbon pile.
On my truck I have been using the Battery Tender very sparingly. I will park the truck on Sunday, then wait till Wednesday or Thursday and plug in the Tender knowing I will be starting it on Saturday. So far it seems to be working, my Motorcrafts are going on 5 years now.

Wow, I never heard of that. I have now two things to ponder. However, I have kept my Expedition on a smart charger for 6 years now and no problems yet. Same with my Tractor but only 2 years on that. But three shorted batteries on my truck in 8 years seems to indicate there is something like dendrites going on. Thanks for the info!

Old 03-09-2016, 09:51 PM
gtadim
Cross-Country
Sorry for not updating, I just got back from the States. I found my starting issue. The wiring harness inside the driver side valve cover was melted on the one end, affecting the number 4 glow plug. Replaced the gasket and harness and and the truck has been starting great. Thanks for all the suggestions.
George