1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shimmy and shake

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 07:24 AM
Fireman81
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shimmy and shake

Hey guys ive got a question. 2011 f-250 crewcab long bed and it has a sahe in the whole truck at different speeds. It may not shake at 25 but will shake at 30 then go away again at 40 then come back at 60. Ive had alignment checked, tires rotated and new brakes and calipers put on the front. (Brakes and calipers were unrelated to shake). I had the Ford mechanic check the truck all over and he found nothing wrong. 106, 000 miles anybody have any idea? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:12 AM
agpopp
Tuned
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Have the tires rebalanced, mine were so jacked up, two wheels had no weights and the other two were over balanced. When the wheels would turn, their relationships with each other woukd make the truck shake at different and various speeds. Immediate improvement on my truck, now rides as a smooth as a car.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:30 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I agree, Check the tires again. Look at the weights on them. If any of them have a lot of weight, there is a problem with either the tire or the rim. Check tire pressure too while you're at it.

If it still acts up, check the driveshaft.

If it's a 4x4, make sure it's not in 4x4 mode, and make sure the front hubs are not locked. Though this should not cause a vibration, it could be showing signs of some front end work being necessary like tie rod ends, ball joints, froze up u-joints, etc.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:02 AM
Iceman1777
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Agree with above. Generally a shake or vibration will be related to tire balance or drive shaft/U joints. One technique you can try...put your open hand on the steering wheel and raise your index finger. If your finger is vibrating the problem is in the front tires. Do the same thing on the seat and if that's where the vibration is then it's rear wheels.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:10 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Iceman1777
Agree with above. Generally a shake or vibration will be related to tire balance or drive shaft/U joints. One technique you can try...put your open hand on the steering wheel and raise your index finger. If your finger is vibrating the problem is in the front tires. Do the same thing on the seat and if that's where the vibration is then it's rear wheels.
I will have to remember this!

Old 02-16-2016, 09:02 AM
Fireman81
New User
Thanks guys I almost due for new tires so ill see what happens once I get them replaced. If I find it something else ill definitely let everyone know.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:12 PM
farwhitenorth
Junior User
My truck is at Ford right now. I have rebalanced tires, twice, no luck. Did a "roadforce balance" and they said I had 2 tires out of spec. Bought new tires, no fix. Took it to another shop. He put it up on the rack and got all 4 tires spinning. I hear "your drive shaft is bent"! I thought great! Get this fixed and all is good. Got the drive shaft straightened, balanced, replaced the carrier bearing bracket, carrier bearing, u-joints, didn't fix it. I have put together notes of everything. I've taken it to other shops and let them read the notes. They wouldn't even pull it in the garage. So Ford, you better not let me down. Tire pressure makes no difference. Having the grizzly in the back does help a bit. Towing a 20' deckover trailer with 3 UTV's to moosecamp helped. This problem has existed since I bought the truck used. The dealer did pay for the drive shaft work but they are done. I am about done as well. If Ford can't give me a definitive answer, I'm done. Driving 6 different Super Duties since 2001. This particular truck is a 2012 F-250 CC Long Bed 6.2 3:73. I'm not convinced its not the wheels even though one tire shop said, without a doubt, its not the wheels.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:30 PM
Fireman81
New User
Still just a shaking

So the dealer checked and balanced tires and checked tow all within spec. Im ordering new tires soon but I still have the shake. Itsnot in the steering wheel its in the body. I can physically watch the bed shaking in the rearview mirror. Now when I have my landscaping trailer on the back its barely noticable. When I have the bed loaded wiyh some weight it basically disappeares. The dealer is clueless but they did find the passenger rear shock bushing on the bottom is bad. Anyone got any clues? Farwhitenorth I havent had my driveshaft checked though but thats a thought.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:20 PM
F350FordToy
Senior User
I had a similar problem with a 2006 KR F350 CC SRW LB, replaced the factory Continentals at the dealer with Firestone ATs that vibrated from 45-55 bad enough to shake the coffee cup out of the holder. 6 sets of new tires from the dealer did not fix the problem, they road force balanced them and kept switching out tires. They did vibration testing and it showed the tires as the reason. At wits end, they where willing to offer me a huge discount off a new truck to get me to go away. I asked them to switch out rims with another KR they had in the used lot. No vibration, they summarized the rims were the issue but never saw it on the balance machine. Go figure, but never had another problem after that. Always wondered why it never vibrated from the factory with the Continentals on.

I would ask them to hook their vibration testing equipment to the truck and check where it is coming from. Not all the dealers had the equipment, so you may have to shop around.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:38 PM
farwhitenorth
Junior User
Originally Posted by Fireman81
So the dealer checked and balanced tires and checked tow all within spec. Im ordering new tires soon but I still have the shake. Itsnot in the steering wheel its in the body. I can physically watch the bed shaking in the rearview mirror. Now when I have my landscaping trailer on the back its barely noticable. When I have the bed loaded wiyh some weight it basically disappeares. The dealer is clueless but they did find the passenger rear shock bushing on the bottom is bad. Anyone got any clues? Farwhitenorth I havent had my driveshaft checked though but thats a thought.

I didn't say that I replaced my shocks as well. I had 3 blown shocks. This was with less than 40k miles. Currently, the truck is still at Ford so I'm guessing I won't be getting it back today. I understand the tailgate jumping up and down. I have had that view a lot!!

Old 04-06-2016, 08:04 PM
farwhitenorth
Junior User
Just called the dealer. I should have sent an overnight bag with my truck. They appreciated the 4 pages of notes with everything that has been done, fixed, replaced, adjusted, etc. Will update you with any news.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:09 PM
agpopp
Tuned
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
I read the way that factory does it is they match the low spot in the wheel with the high spot in the tire. The stickers and chalk marks on a new vehicles wheels and tires tell the tale, so the factory tire tech seats the tires and wheels to match the marks. Once new tires are fitted, you have an out of round condition that sometimes cant be compensated for.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:51 PM
Fireman81
New User
Shake

Well I guess it could be a rim but you would think it would still be there with load on the suspension like when a trailer attached or weight in the bed. My truck is an XL with the steel wheels. Tire wear is absolutely wonderful they all wear evenly and uniformly.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:41 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
This is an interesting video of something that may be the issue, and how to fix it. I'm certainly not a fan of Bill Hewitt, but he may be right on this.
Superduty Front End "Death Wobble" Fix

Old 04-07-2016, 09:12 AM
Fireman81
New User
Shake

Thanks guys for all the help & info it may help me narrow it down possibly. I think what I'm actually going to do he is going to put four new tires on it soon then I think I'm going to put 4 new shocks on it. The truck has 107,000 miles on it and the last time it was in the shop I what standing beside the mechanic and we checked the whole entire front end and the truck is rock solid everything is tight. I've had new brake and rotors front and rear so I feel that's probably not the issue. So we will get with tires and shocks next time when I have tires installed I'm going to have the rims checked to make sure I don't have a bent wheel.

Quick Reply: Shimmy and shake