Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

dana 60 swap in f150, specific questions.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:33 PM
adam.hilberath
Senior User
adam.hilberath is starting off with a positive reputation.
dana 60 swap in f150, specific questions.

Finally had to pull my truck off the road due to death wobble and tired engine. have access to early mid 2000's SD's with the solid axle, i believe is a dana 60 for those years.

my question, will i be able to swap that axle in using its springs and my upper perch or my springs and the 60's lower perch. i believe it is a coil in the SD those years and it came with either or-Leaf or Coil.

I THINK i have to use their spring and upper perch. does anyone have any knowledge of what is in the SD of those rough years? ive always posted in this area, keep helping me out!!! if i should post in another area on here let me know, ill move it on over. Thanks!

Old 02-13-2016, 10:00 PM
chrismd188
Senior User
chrismd188 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
99-04 super duty uses leaf spring,in 05 they went to the coil setup.I think super duty axles are a little bit wider than the obs trucks,also they have metric lug patterns 8x170

Why not just get a dana 44 out of an older f150 and swap it in so you'll have 5 lug still...much easier and cheaper for parts down the road

Unless you plan on swapping the rear end to.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:51 PM
bbf385
Elder User
bbf385 has a good reputation on FTE.bbf385 has a good reputation on FTE.bbf385 has a good reputation on FTE.
It's your truck and you don't know if it's leaf or coil? Go outside and look. I think you may be a bit over your head.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:28 PM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
Irish19614x4 has a great reputation on FTE.Irish19614x4 has a great reputation on FTE.Irish19614x4 has a great reputation on FTE.Irish19614x4 has a great reputation on FTE.Irish19614x4 has a great reputation on FTE.
OP sounds confused but in his defense I don't see him wondering what setup he has. Maybe you gather that from his confusion of what parts to swap. They are right though if you already have the newer setup compare that to what you have and then ask your questions.

I'm also in favor of no questions is a dumb question only the one you never ask is

Old 02-14-2016, 02:07 PM
adam.hilberath
Senior User
Lol that's funny, I know my truck-f150 is coil, been through almost every inch of this truck over the past 4-5 years. I do not know whether or not that the SD is coil or leaf, until a moment ago where 05 n up were coils. On the 99-04 is there enough space to put on the lower perches? Reason for SD is because they are much more available in my area of SE Michigan than a D44. Looked high n low. If I can find an older f series the 44s already been robbed. But the SD is more available. Ya know, parents let teens drive their trucks and wreck em. And also, I am looking at doing front and rear axles. And I don't mind 8 lug myself. Wrench for a living, just a little newer to swaps and fabbing. I've done engine swaps, tranny swaps, no front end swaps. Just need some information on something like this because, I don't have the SD Infront of me, just access to a Coil OR leaf. Like I said. A lot of em wrecked around here.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:55 PM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
Irish19614x4 has a great reputation on FTE.Irish19614x4 has a great reputation on FTE.Irish19614x4 has a great reputation on FTE.Irish19614x4 has a great reputation on FTE.Irish19614x4 has a great reputation on FTE.
So unless I missed where you mentioned it by why the swap? I don't know honestly and curious why straight axle is that due to durability? What gains to you achieve by doing the swap over what you have? I could research I'm sure but figured I ask you why you decided to go with the swap.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:26 PM
adam.hilberath
Senior User
reason for the swap:
Terrible death wobble. already rebuilt the entire front end a few years back, not looking to spend that amount every few years. wears the tires out pretty good since they dont hold an alignment for crap. all in all, just tired of the same ol TTB problems. just throwing money in the wind fixing up a TTB, been there done that.

Pulling fenders and bed for some much needed help due to Michigan salt every winter. clean up, repaint, and make it better than they were off the assembly line.

and the SDs again due to a large abundance around here of SDs. I dont mind the little extra cash to drop on much better parts like a D60. and like i said earlier, i am also pulling the rear axle to match.will be doing all with same truck so it will have match gearing.

But, dana 60 05&up are coil, could i take the upper perch from the 05&up and be able to run that as suspension? i believe it works (in my mind) I do know i will have to make something up for brakes since they run a larger brake on SD than mine. The shocks are an easy deal, due to some other deals on my truck yokes on the axles are no issue as well, having driveshaft made to order for front and rear.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:28 PM
Nothing Special
Postmaster
Nothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to all
Spring mounts seem to me to be the least of your worries. Radius arms and track bar will also need to be figured out. Can it be done? Sure. But I'd be very surprised if it's a bolt-in. I think you're in for a bunch of fab work.

By the way, Super Duties used a Dana 50 for a while too. I'm not sure when, but if that makes a difference to you that would be something else to pin down.

As far as your death wobble from the TTB, I've never had any trouble with mine. It's not my favorite suspension, but it doesn't suck nearly as bad as a lot of people make it out to. You say you've rebuilt it recently and need to again. Do you have something a long way from stock, like a big lift or something? Because it shouldn't need rebuilding very often.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:31 PM
adam.hilberath
Senior User
Originally Posted by Nothing Special View Post
Spring mounts seem to me to be the least of your worries. Radius arms and track bar will also need to be figured out. Can it be done? Sure. But I'd be very surprised if it's a bolt-in. I think you're in for a bunch of fab work.

By the way, Super Duties used a Dana 50 for a while too. I'm not sure when, but if that makes a difference to you that would be something else to pin down.

As far as your death wobble from the TTB, I've never had any trouble with mine. It's not my favorite suspension, but it doesn't suck nearly as bad as a lot of people make it out to. You say you've rebuilt it recently and need to again. Do you have something a long way from stock, like a big lift or something? Because it shouldn't need rebuilding very often.

Michigan roads man, beat the hell out of any front end. And where I live, a two Lane road, you drive down the middle because most of the road has disappeared. I mean, I'd go with a 44 if I can find one. I just know what's around me.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:04 PM
Briansshop
Elder User
Briansshop has a good reputation on FTE.Briansshop has a good reputation on FTE.Briansshop has a good reputation on FTE.
Going leaf spring with an older,up to 97, D60 would prob be a lot easier. Would be the same as converting a 2wd truck. An RSK at the front and stock front spring rear mounts from a 250/350 will bolt to the frame.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:24 PM
adam.hilberath
Senior User
Originally Posted by Briansshop View Post
An RSK at the front and stock front spring rear mounts from a 250/350 will bolt to the frame.
An RSK? And I have thought of leaf. And have thought of just a d60 from 97 an older. I'm sure my area has those too. Pardon my knowledge of shortened words.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:29 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
bashby is a name known to allbashby is a name known to allbashby is a name known to allbashby is a name known to allbashby is a name known to allbashby is a name known to all
Reverse shackle kit. Puts your front leaf spring shackle on the rear side of tbe spring. It works better that way. You can get kits for different amounts of lift, and for different springs. The hot ticket imo is d60 with superduty springs with a low lift rsk.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:36 PM
adam.hilberath
Senior User
So an RSK would make it so the front mount would be more on the frame than at the very end at the bumper, is that correct?

I will be looking into those. Thank you for that bit of info on that part.

I am always looking at better ways to do something.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:03 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
bashby is a name known to allbashby is a name known to allbashby is a name known to allbashby is a name known to allbashby is a name known to allbashby is a name known to all
Do a search here for rsk or reverse shackle kit. Look for posts by Dieselbrad. He has done a few of them with different manufacturers products and has recommended one over the others.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:27 PM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
Diesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant future
They make a RSK to install SD 99-04 front axle in a 92-97 F250/F350. You would need to modify you frame a little for the RSK to mount.

You would also need the rear spring hangers for the front axle

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: dana 60 swap in f150, specific questions.

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.