VetNet A forum dedicated to ALL Veterans... their unique needs and wants. A place where Veterans old and new can discuss their problems and find the help and support they are looking for.

Just had one of the worst months ever with the VA...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 08:25 AM
Thor'sHammer
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Just had one of the worst months ever with the VA...

It started in the first week of January with an 'outsourced" appointment to a ENT. We had a huge snowstorm and I wasn't able to make it. Honestly, their phone was down too and I wasn't even able to reschedule. No big deal, I figured that they'd call me back and get me in when it was possible.

Lets back up a bit.... I fell out of a HH-60G in a 18 ft. hover when I was in Afghanistan, which quickly ended my career in the USAF. I broke a couple of ribs, my right ankle, my right wrist, partially dislocated my right clavicle and had a nasty concussion. Yeah, stupid gunners belt detent broke and fell out allowing the belt hook to open. Ancient history, so to say. So, I'm VA disabled.

I've been seen for this shoulder injury, and it was recommended that I have a minor surgery done on my shoulder to alleviate some pain I've been having due to osteoarthritis of the scapula - clavicle joint back in November. I haven't heard a word since.

I have contacted the VA on four separate occasions just to have them tell me that "it looks like the doctors are planning when to do it". I pulled my records from the "myhealthevet" site and the last entry was in December. I know what's happened, they've forgotten. Whatever. So today I get a message through secure messaging, after I begged and pleaded for pain medication refills, telling me to call a specific number to schedule an appointment with my primary care doc, so that we could figure this all out. LOL! I call the number that they provided, and someone answers with "Hello?"

I asked to schedule an appointment and the rather large woman (I could tell from the hollowed voice and wheezing), but before i could get three words out, she interrupts me and says "last name and last four". I tell her and before I could get my last name out she interrupts me again and says she can't hear me (my end is perfectly fine) and tells me to call later. I ask to be transferred to another person and magically, she says she can hear me. I give her my name and last four and ask to schedule an appointment with primary care. She interrupts me yet again, and tells me that my doctor is at a satellite clinic and I have to call them to schedule. I tell her that this is the appointment line that THEY gave me to call. She replies with "nope" and I ask what number I need to call to get this done. She says "I don't know" and HUNG THE F UP ON ME.

I've just sent my primary care doc a message on secure messaging about this, and how the hell I'm going to get an appointment if no one knows how the F to do it....

end rant...

Old 02-10-2016, 02:15 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
PCM can contact Tricare referrals to make it happen but if you can't ever reach him you might need another PCM. An active duty PCM on a local base is most useful and since they rotate them you get fresh talent.

Did you try contacting Tricare rather than the VA and with what result?

Get names of everyone you speak with and write them down along with their office so if you get hosed you can follow that up.

If I were in severe pain I'd go to the ER, an urgent care which takes Tricare or a base hospital. I wouldn't bother with any background where pain meds are concerned if going to an ER. I'd complain of a severe flare up (use "flare up") and take it from there. I'd get copies of those records too.

Check the hadit.com forums and https://www.vawatchdog.org/ (Jim Strickland's emails helped me appeal my own disability, it's a great free resource. Check the topics on the right side of the page.) for info from other vets who may know specifically how to negotiate the system in your case.

I've never dealt directly with the VA for care, just appeals and there should be no need to do that. It should be a PCM + Tricare issue.

Collect updated copied of your records and study how to appeal your rating because most ratings are too low. The process has changed a bit since I appealed mine so find online veterans forums and study the subject like you were testing for a stripe. Your of base providers can supply record copies from every visit directly to you.

The way to get worthwhile medical care, ANYWHERE, is become a subject matter expert on whatever piece of the system you need.